The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Please can someone help? I've already registered online and paid for my course online but I've just received a registration pack for one of my courses. I'm not sure if i should ignore this as I've already registered online, or do i still need to fill it in and return it?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 4261
Original post by Homosapiens

Original post by Homosapiens
Please can someone help? I've already registered online and paid for my course online but I've just received a registration pack for one of my courses. I'm not sure if i should ignore this as I've already registered online, or do i still need to fill it in and return it?

Can you log into StudentHome and see what it says there? It's probably ok to ignore it as sometimes the post can be a bit slow, but you need to check everything is fine and StudentHome shows you're registered. Or phone them and ask, but I'm not sure if they'll be open on Saturdays.
Original post by Juno
Can you log into StudentHome and see what it says there? It's probably ok to ignore it as sometimes the post can be a bit slow, but you need to check everything is fine and StudentHome shows you're registered. Or phone them and ask, but I'm not sure if they'll be open on Saturdays.

When i click to register it says sorry, you are already registered for this module. I've already received course materials for one of the modules too.
This happened to me for AA100 they told me to ignore it as they automatically send the registration forms out on paper.

Anyway a month til A230.
Reply 4264
Original post by Tamise
I've two October starts - got one set of materials on Thursday, the other are due week some time. Think I might leave them at work though, as I've two TMAs and two exams before I can make much of a start on them. The lure of shiny booklets is amazing :smile:

I agree about the lure of shiny books - but I'm the same about anything new, esp pens!!! :redface:

Still waiting for my books :mad:
Got a high mark for tma07 now onto EMA. ugh
Reply 4266
hi everybody, i've just seen that the bsc physics is available until 2014, do you have any idea why
Reply 4267
Original post by stma
hi everybody, i've just seen that the bsc physics is available until 2014, do you have any idea why

It's being replaced by Natural Sciences. The residentials are ending.
Reply 4268
Original post by stma

All the science named degrees are going, to be replaced with one Natural Sciences degree. If you're not in a position to take your third year modules in the next couple years, you can't get the Physics degree in time, as they're switching to an October start in 2014. The associated residental is already dead (I missed it, alas)

I could still get it... if I apply for credit transfer. Doing SMT359 and SMXR359 this year to hedge me bets while I work out if I want to top off my DipHE with the OU, or apply for direct entry to a brick uni's final year.

Man, they really need a 10-pointer muddle on how the OU credit system works...

SMT359 Electromagnetism and S382 Astrophysics will continue with February start dates, but SM358 The Quantum World and S383 The Relativistic Universe will be presented in February 2013, then again in October 2013, and continue with October starts only thereafter. So, from 2014 the Level 3 presentation pattern will be: February - SMT359 & S382; October SM358 & S383.

EDIT: because I got it wrong. Herp derp... quote gives the correct info
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4269
What is 'residential' sorry ?
i'm thinking about studying a bsc in physics or in maths... Wondering which course has the best quality and support, also it's not to tough studying maths by elearning ?
Reply 4270

Original post by stma
What is 'residential' sorry ?
i'm thinking about studying a bsc in physics or in maths... Wondering which course has the best quality and support, also it's not to tough studying maths by elearning ?

Most courses you study from home with the books, but have the option to go to tutorials if you wish.

A residential is a course where you go away from home for a week or two and complete a module in that time - it's usually for science courses with practical work that you can't do sufficiently at home.
Reply 4271
Thank you for the explanation. :smile:
Reply 4272
Original post by rele84
I'm with you on that, I've had a couple of weeks of 'procrastinating' and now just realised that my iCMA is due next Wed :eek:

did you get in in the end?
Original post by dg2009
when does your module start / website open

Mine opens on 22nd but module starts on 1st October, material isn't set out till next weekend

I finished K101 in June, it's a fantastic course.
S104 has more books than I think I read for my whole degree at a brick college! :smile: Some tough looking science as well!
Reply 4275
Guys i'd like to know how long it would take to achieve a bsc in math because all the courses are dependent from one another.
If you have not finished yet one course, you can't start the other one and so you lose a year or 6 months.
Hi everyone!

Just a general query,

I was planning on attending a brick uni next year but at the moment OU is winning me over, even with the fee increase it still works out cheaper and I like the fact that I can still work alongside it and pay for the course as I go.

I noticed by looking at their website that you only need to register instead of having to apply through UCAS, how far in advance do you need to register? Is it best to do it in advance to make sure you get on the course?

Thanks in advance x
Original post by Kimberina
Hi everyone!

Just a general query,

I was planning on attending a brick uni next year but at the moment OU is winning me over, even with the fee increase it still works out cheaper and I like the fact that I can still work alongside it and pay for the course as I go.

I noticed by looking at their website that you only need to register instead of having to apply through UCAS, how far in advance do you need to register? Is it best to do it in advance to make sure you get on the course?

Thanks in advance x

It's best to reserve your place ASAP. Student numbers are dictated by the number of tutors. There are some modules, particuarly psychology and heath studies, that fill up quite quickly. You can always register for a module and withdraw from it nearer the start date without penalty if you feel you've made a mistake.
Original post by Kimberina
Hi everyone!

Just a general query,

Thanks in advance x

Yes. You will most likely have to register for February if you want to start now. It's a bit late for October registrations. You need to register a few months in advance.
Original post by stma
Guys i'd like to know how long it would take to achieve a bsc in math because all the courses are dependent from one another.
If you have not finished yet one course, you can't start the other one and so you lose a year or 6 months.

What modules did you have in mind? There's no reason why you can't have a couple on the go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending