The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by ukdragon37
Yes, although the other way round, inverse sine of sine of x, does not necessarily equal x. Can you think of why?

Spoiler

Are there also restrictions for the sine of the inverse sine of x? Those being -1 and 1?
Original post by soup
Are there also restrictions for the sine of the inverse sine of x? Those being -1 and 1?

No that explicit restriction is unnecessary, since it is impossible to obtain the inverse sine of anything outside of that range anyway (and still get a real number result). On the other hand, the restriction on inverse sine of sine is necessary since it's perfectly fine to obtain sines of values outside of -pi/2 to pi/2.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 202
Could someone do me a favour and integrate this for me quickly, just so I can make sure I'm doing it correctly?

(4x) / (2x-1)^1/2 dx

I'm getting 4(2x-1)^1/2 + C but the answers are saying different and I'm confused! :frown:

Original post by Quintro
Could someone do me a favour and integrate this for me quickly, just so I can make sure I'm doing it correctly?

(4x) / (2x-1)^1/2 dx

I'm getting 4(2x-1)^1/2 + C but the answers are saying different and I'm confused! :frown:

Do the answers say 43(2x1)1/2(x+1)+C\frac{4}{3}(2x-1)^{1/2}(x+1)+C by any chance, or something like that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 204
Original post by Quintro

(4x) / (2x-1)^1/2 dx

First off, take the 4 outside. Always make the coefficient of the numerator 1.

So this becomes:

4x(2x1)1/24*\int \frac{x}{(2x-1)^{1/2}}

Then let u = 2x-1 and du = 2dx

Let me know if that helps. (I realise now that it was silly to factor out the 4 to begin with; try factoring out only 2 to begin with so your numerator is 2x.)

Original post by Beth1234
Do the answers say 43(2x1)1/2(x+1)+C\frac{4}{3}(2x-1)^{1/2}(x+1)+C by any chance, or something like that?

That's the answer I worked to. So I hope they do... :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JordanR

That's reassuring :wink:

I substituted u=(2x1)1/2u=(2x-1)^{1/2} though. Still trying to work it out the way you did it :tongue:

EDIT: Ah. Got it. Switching from scribbling on Paint to working it out with a pencil really does make a difference...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 206
For that question would you have to simplify it down by taking out (2x-1)^1/2 as a common factor or could you just leave it as:

2/3(2x-1)^3/2 + 2(2x-1)^1/2
Original post by soup
For that question would you have to simplify it down by taking out (2x-1)^1/2 as a common factor or could you just leave it as:

2/3(2x-1)^3/2 + 2(2x-1)^1/2

I think you should take out the common factor. It looks a lot neater afterwards!

...and don't forget the constant! :tongue:
Reply 208
Original post by JordanR
First off, take the 4 outside. Always make the coefficient of the numerator 1.

So this becomes:

4x(2x1)1/24*\int \frac{x}{(2x-1)^{1/2}}

Then let u = 2x-1 and du = 2dx

Let me know if that helps. (I realise now that it was silly to factor out the 4 to begin with; try factoring out only 2 to begin with so your numerator is 2x.)

Ahh! It was a completely daft mistake on my part! Sorry for wasting your time, but the help was great anyway if that's any consolation! Apparently the derivative of 2x-1 is 2x... *facepalm*. I looked over my working like four times and missed it every time. :frown:

I have a question about factoring out though. Can any number be factored out before integrating, as long as I don't take out a variable such as x?

God I'm an idiot.. :redface:

EDIT:

And yes, that's the answer, thanks. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 209
Original post by Quintro
Ahh! It was a completely daft mistake on my part! Sorry for wasting your time, but the help was great anyway if that's any consolation! Apparently the derivative of 2x-1 is 2x... *facepalm*. I looked over my working like four times and missed it every time. :frown:

I have a question about factoring out though. Can any number be factored out before integrating, as long as I don't take out a variable such as x?

God I'm an idiot.. :redface:

EDIT:

And yes, that's the answer, thanks. :smile:

It happens to everyone! Don't worry about it. I remember being stuck with a question and then realised that I was raising the power by one and then multiplying by it, in some sort of pseudo blend of integration and differentiation, and wondered why I was getting a crazy answer.

Yes. Any constant can be factored out. That can make trig integrals a lot, lot simpler.

That's reassuring :wink:

I substituted u=(2x1)1/2u=(2x-1)^{1/2} though. Still trying to work it out the way you did it :tongue:

EDIT: Ah. Got it. Switching from scribbling on Paint to working it out with a pencil really does make a difference...

Ah, good. Saves me Latexing my answer...
Reply 210
I did make a stupid mistake earlier but I'm still not getting this.. I'd appreciate if someone could look through my working to see where I'm screwing up...

EDIT: I know I made an error at the bottom, should be a minus sign not a plus.
Original post by Quintro
I did make a stupid mistake earlier but I'm still not getting this.. I'd appreciate if someone could look through my working to see where I'm screwing up...

Mistake is going from third-to-bottom line to second-to-bottom. Taking out 4/3 from (4x - 2)/3 should take out a 4 from the 2 as well, which leaves 1/2.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 212
Original post by Quintro

Third to second last line is incorrect.

(4x-2)/3 + 2 can be rewritten as 4(x+1)3\frac{4(x+1)}{3}

That should help. :smile:

Edit: damn it. Beaten. :tongue:
Reply 213

Original post by JordanR

Thanks very much guys, I've got it now. I really need to work on manipulating equations. :tongue:

And I have no idea why I'm doing Maths at this time :s-smilie:
Reply 214
Original post by Quintro
Thanks very much guys, I've got it now. I really need to work on manipulating equations. :tongue:

And I have no idea why I'm doing Maths at this time :s-smilie:

It's what learning calculus did for me most. Remember that in an exam, they wouldn't penalise you for not putting it into that form (unless they asked you to show that it equalled that specifically).

So don't worry about it. c:

Maths at this time? Well, it's because maths is great. Or because you need something to bore you to sleep.
Original post by nerd434
I´m only in fourth year just now studying Intermediate 2 Maths, currently I can just repeat questions out a textbook to understand a concept and move onto the next. Is this the same with Higher and Adv Higher? Is it all about practice?

And what is everyone aiming for in their exam?

It's similar for Higher. However for AH you are more likely to get some question whose style you have never seen before and you need to work out what method to use on it. Of course practising as much as possible helps. You also need to have a good memory as there are many formulae and identities to remember.
Reply 216
It's similar for Higher. However for AH you are more likely to get some question whose style you have never seen before and you need to work out what method to use on it. Of course practising as much as possible helps. You also need to have a good memory as there are many formulae and identities to remember.

What I've noticed is that there's often more than one method that you can use, too. You demonstrated that the other day with some differentiation.
Original post by JordanR
What I've noticed is that there's often more than one method that you can use, too. You demonstrated that the other day with some differentiation.

There are different ways with lower levels of maths but you aren't taught them. However as the skill level increases you are taught these different methods. Also this is maths - different methods are bread and butter to the subject :p: Sometimes they are even the key to a proof where doing one method yields a solution and doing another method yields another solution and you can thus show that the two solutions are equivalent in some way.
Original post by nerd434
I´m only in fourth year just now studying Intermediate 2 Maths, currently I can just repeat questions out a textbook to understand a concept and move onto the next. Is this the same with Higher and Adv Higher? Is it all about practice?

And what is everyone aiming for in their exam?

At Advanced Higher you need to understand the concept to do the questions in the first place.

Aiming for an A, why aim any lower?
Reply 219
So far i'm averaging about 75% in our homeworks - my highest being 90%, lowest 58%

I'm understanding most of it although some of the questions can be worded 'complicatedly'

I would be really happy with a B

Latest

Trending

Trending