The Student Room Group

Hong Kong Universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joelchan
According to the website only 3 E's and a general certificate in a foreign language.

yea that's the same for medicine as well while offers for GCE, which are rarely made, are often A*A*A*
they don't use that standard though in reality
i have no idea why they'd put up such a thing when they don't even use it
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hackett
I wonder if anyone can be of help?

I am currently in my final year of school in the United Kingdom, And will be appling next year for university as I am taking a year out to do a gap year. I was just wondering what the grade requirments are for the Economics & Finance course (undergraduate)?

Also, Will my subjects of Economics, Geography and History be suitable for this course?

Finally, in my gap year I am doing several placements at investment banks and investment companies in London, how much will this help my application to the University of Hong Kong.

what sort of placements? if you can actually get a job there don't bother applying HAHA jkjk
Reply 202
Original post by Rocketeeer
what sort of placements? if you can actually get a job there don't bother applying HAHA jkjk

its jsut work experince at some IB's etc.

Does HKU look take into consideratin work experince and EC's etc.?
Reply 203
And what are the fees for a British student?
Original post by Rocketeeer
yea that's the same for medicine as well while offers for GCE, which are rarely made, are often A*A*A*
they don't use that standard though in reality
i have no idea why they'd put up such a thing when they don't even use it

lol >30 ppl got 5A* applied to hku medicine and only 4 got admitted =.=
Original post by Hackett
its jsut work experince at some IB's etc.

Does HKU look take into consideratin work experince and EC's etc.?

well they do but they weight academics far heavier than those. u have to have them but u also have to have superior academics.

Original post by Hackett
And what are the fees for a British student?

if my information is correct, the basic fee for a local student studying medicine in hku is rought $40000-$50000. for international ppl, it may be a triple or a quadruple. well the fees are in HKD though. 1 pounds ~ 13 HKD :smile:
Reply 205
Original post by dragon_knight
lol >30 ppl got 5A* applied to hku medicine and only 4 got admitted =.=

well they do but they weight academics far heavier than those. u have to have them but u also have to have superior academics.

if my information is correct, the basic fee for a local student studying medicine in hku is rought $40000-$50000. for international ppl, it may be a triple or a quadruple. well the fees are in HKD though. 1 pounds ~ 13 HKD :smile:

is that per annum?
Original post by lucas13
what is HKCEE = 6:4 in A levels?

comparing to CUHK, HKU consider HKCEE far less important than HKALE, or GCE A-levels. well they do consider HKCEE results but A levels just determines if u can get into the university or not.

Original post by joelchan
According to the website only 3 E's and a general certificate in a foreign language.

they are the miniumum requirements and are usually used when issuing out unconditional offers - like it will be 3 passes in A-levels if u get an unconditional one.
Original post by Hackett
I wonder if anyone can be of help?

I am currently in my final year of school in the United Kingdom, And will be appling next year for university as I am taking a year out to do a gap year. I was just wondering what the grade requirments are for the Economics & Finance course (undergraduate)?

Also, Will my subjects of Economics, Geography and History be suitable for this course?

Finally, in my gap year I am doing several placements at investment banks and investment companies in London, how much will this help my application to the University of Hong Kong.

as joelchan has mentioned, the basic requirements are 3 passes in a-levels. of course u will definitely not be admitted into it if u are holding 3 passes only :smile:

as far as we know, hku does not set subject requirements if u are applying for humanities course. u can skim through the admission grades of HKALE on their website and take it as a reference. widely-accepted conversion table:

GCE: HKALE
A* = A/B/C
A= C/D
B/C = D/E
<D/E = E/F

so sad :frown:

and wow u have placements at i banks! that'll certainly help u a lot in your application! but again grades are the most important factor :smile:
Original post by Hackett
is that per annum?

yes that is per annum. much cheaper than studying in UK :biggrin:
Original post by Hackett
is that per annum?

i've just checked their website. it's $42100 for locals per anuum and $119 000 for non-locals per annum, regardless the subject u're studying.
Reply 209
Original post by dragon_knight
i've just checked their website. it's $42100 for locals per anuum and $119 000 for non-locals per annum, regardless the subject u're studying.

ok - thanks for your help!
Original post by Interpretation
Oops. What I meant was that I'm a full-time student at HKU and that I'm applying for a year abroad in the UK. My bad :smile:

Anyhow, good luck with your application!

Oh sorry I misinterpreted you then! Thanks, and you too! :smile: My university has quite a lot of exchange students from HKU especially at my halls. I'm friends with a few of them and it's sad that most of them are gone now since the semester is over :'(.

Which university are you applying to study abroad at?
Original post by chr1stopher11
Oh sorry I misinterpreted you then! Thanks, and you too! :smile: My university has quite a lot of exchange students from HKU especially at my halls. I'm friends with a few of them and it's sad that most of them are gone now since the semester is over :'(.

Which university are you applying to study abroad at?

My first choice is the University of Nottingham :smile: We have quite a lot of choices as well, but a lot of the UK unis have restrictions on their psychology modules (which is my major) when it comes to visiting students. Something about being oversubscribed..

My stalking skills tell me that you're studying at KCL. I really, really wanted to go for exchange there. It was my first choice - until I realised that they don't offer psychology :\ Sigh.
HEY everyone! I'm new in TSR. Am from Malaysia and applied for Economics and Finance. I have a few questions! It is Urgent! I just got an interview notification from HKU, the interview is on this sunday! Help! Anyone knows about what is it gonna be? like is it more to academic stuff or current issues or is it just going to be introduce yourself? hahah! Or, anyone who will be going for that interview this Sunday too? Help!! :smile:
Reply 213
Original post by Karmen Koh

HEY everyone! I'm new in TSR. Am from Malaysia and applied for Economics and Finance. I have a few questions! It is Urgent! I just got an interview notification from HKU, the interview is on this sunday! Help! Anyone knows about what is it gonna be? like is it more to academic stuff or current issues or is it just going to be introduce yourself? hahah! Or, anyone who will be going for that interview this Sunday too? Help!! :smile:

hey Karmen i also a malaysian!! I am applying for accounting and finance, my interview is on saturday at Star edu fair from 12.50 to 1.20. GOODLUCK man!! =)

welcome to the family of TSR and especially to the family of possible-future-hong-kong-unis-students :smile:

congrads for your interview invitation! econ and finance is a subject that has quite a high profile in hku, so u made it through the interview stage! excellent!

sorry that i'm not applying for business courses in hku (i'm a med app) , but from what i've heard from my friends, hku rarely asks about academics. like i assume they won't ask u too explain economics theory, except u had some outstanding achievements that may draw their interest.

for medicine, it's purely about ethics and critical thinking. for business, i think they're more interested on understanding you, your personality and your ability to pull through the tough curriculum in hku, your understanding of hku and the business course, your enthusiasm on studying in hku (like why hku but not hkust?).

one point to note is that hku places academics in the first place. frankly speaking, interviews are not as important as those in UK or US. if u've got very good academics, you can be relaxed and just don't make silly mistakes during interview!

Original post by LWSiang
hey Karmen i also a malaysian!! I am applying for accounting and finance, my interview is on saturday at Star edu fair from 12.50 to 1.20. GOODLUCK man!! =)

hi there and i assume u are also new to TSR right? :smile:

good luck to both of u and hope to see u in hku in the next academic year !
To all ppl who would like to enter unis in hong kong:

here's a website that compromises the JUPAS gradings of local students depending on different courses. the website is unofficial and may contain spoilers, but it's quite a good piece of reference information: http://atu.hk/ag-hku-6767-0-latest

Key:
HKCEE = Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination, similar to GCSE
Banding = u can ignore that. it's a unique system in JUPAS. JUPAS students have totally 20-25 choices that they can choose, with 3 choices in band A, 3 choices in band B. JUPAS is basically a gambling game. it was said that one 2A in HKALE student got into medicine in HKU while a 5A student did not, because he did not make good use of JUPAS system.

ID = JUPAS ID
CLC = Chinese Language and Culture. it's a compulsory subject for HKALE students. it's basically chinese, and is an AS subject
UE = Use of English. also a compulsory subject for HKALE students. it's basically english and also and AS subject

usually a typical HKALE student takes 3AL + 2AS(compulsory languages) or 2AL + 2AS + 2AS(compulsory languages) or 2AL + 1AS + 2AS(compulsory languages). and it is widely believed that HKALE is much more deadly and harder than GCE A-levels. HKALE actually includes quite a large portion of undergrad curriculum.

conversion table (unofficial, based on students who took both GCE and HKALE):
GCE VS HKALE:
A* = A/B/C
A = B/C/D
B = C/D
C = D/E
D = E or lower

non-JUPAS students have relatively less places, so the competition might be more fierce than JUPAS ppl.

hope this helps :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LWSiang

Original post by LWSiang

Hey! good luck to you too!! :smile:
Got an offer!!
Original post by coffeeortea
Got an offer!!

congrads! what's the course that u've applied for? :smile:
Original post by coffeeortea
Got an offer!!

Wow, congratulations :biggrin: Did you apply on fast track?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending