The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE vs. US colleges

I just got offer from LSE's Pol+Philo.
But I am still waiting to hear back from Harvard, Cornell, Columbia, Williams College, Univ of Chicago, Reed, Oberlin, Dartmouth, and Wesleyan.
How would you compare these US colleges with LSE academically in field of Politics and Philosophy?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Havard > Columbia = LSE > Rest.
(edited 12 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
well done on the LSE offer those things are few and far between :rolleyes:
as for the question, firstly ill start by admitting i am by no stretch of the imagination an expert on this, this is just purely what i think, but id say the american ones especially harvard, would be better aside from the obvious higher in the rankings clap trap they also have far more money to spend on teachers, eqiptment etc. to make your time there the best it can possibly be plus with harvard and its world wide reputation as the creme de la creme id assume itd attract the best teachers possible :smile:
although that being said its like £40k a year to go to these places, whilst LSE is technically speaking free.
either way id personally choose the american ones [assuming you get in] for the experience if nothing else :smile:
Reply 3
Harvard, Cornell, Columbia, Chicago and Dartmouth have a better worldwide reputation than LSE.
I would probably place Harvard, Columbia and Dartmouth above LSE in terms of international recognition
Reply 5
From what I've picked up on these forums, the consensus seems to be 'If you want to settle here, go to LSE. If you want to settle in America, go there'.

I'm not sure the above colleges are necessarily more recognised worldwide than LSE. LSE is supposedly a big name in Asia (as of course are the others), so bear that in mind. If the choice were down to me, I'd go for Harvard, then either Columbia or LSE (maybe the latter because of the fees).

OP are you American?
Reply 6
Do you know where you want to work once you graduate?

If you plan on working internationally with a UK degree I would say that Oxbridge is the sole degree that carries consistent brand recognition worldwide.

If you're thinking of doing work exclusively on the West side of the pond I would recommend that you do your undergrad there.

In pockets of Europe, and within the TCK community of Asia, tier 1.5/2 UK universities i.e. LSE, Imperial, UCL, etc. have recognition. However in the US the awareness of universities other than Oxbridge amongst the general population is pretty much nil.

... You do save 1 year of your life by studying in the UK.
The reason I chose UK over US was because I no longer have the desire to spend 1 year fluffing about "discovering myself" on a college campus i.e. Ultimate Frisbee, keg stands, and quintessential lawn naps on the Quad.
I want to get in, study, play a bit, get my 2:1, and start working :P

That being said... here's me being you choosing universities
Harvard > Oxbridge > Columbia >= LSE > Little Ivies > Other UK unis.

Between Columbia and LSE, I would choose LSE because 3 yr > 4 yr.

Later on if I decide to get an MBA I do plan on getting it in the USA from Berks/Stanford/Wharton/Columbia/Harvard (haha :biggrin:).. so I'd get the best of both worlds.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by noojoo
Do you know where you want to work once you graduate?

If you plan on working internationally with a UK degree I would say that Oxbridge is the sole degree that carries consistent brand recognition worldwide.

If you're thinking of doing work exclusively on the West side of the pond I would recommend that you do your undergrad there.

In pockets of Europe, and within the TCK community of Asia, tier 1.5/2 UK universities i.e. LSE, Imperial, UCL, etc. have recognition. However in the US the awareness of universities other than Oxbridge amongst the general population is pretty much nil.

... You do save 1 year of your life by studying in the UK.
The reason I chose UK over US was because I no longer have the desire to spend 1 year fluffing about "discovering myself" on a college campus i.e. Ultimate Frisbee, keg stands, and quintessential lawn naps on the Quad.
I want to get in, study, play a bit, get my 2:1, and start working :P

That being said... here's me being you choosing universities
Harvard > Oxbridge > Columbia >= LSE > Little Ivies > Other UK unis.

Between Columbia and LSE, I would choose LSE because 3 yr > 4 yr.

Later on if I decide to get an MBA I do plan on getting it in the USA from Berks/Stanford/Wharton/Columbia/Harvard (haha :biggrin:).. so I'd get the best of both worlds.

Really? What about Imperial, i swear thats viewed as on par with Imperial (in terms of prestige and name recognition)? (Although they do completely different subjects)
Reply 8
Original post by forex
Harvard, Cornell, Columbia, Chicago and Dartmouth have a better worldwide reputation than LSE.

Harvard definitely does, Columbia and Chicago maybe, but Dartmouth and Cornell....
Reply 9
Harvard, Columbia, Dartmouth, Williams, UChicago > LSE > Cornell, Oberlin, Reed, Wesleyan...

People, when you comment do you realize that Williams which was so light-heartedly excluded from any list above is sometimes considered even better than Harvard for undergrad?

If the guy wants to work in the USA he will be MUCH better off with an undergrad degree from Williams than with one from LSE. I guarantee...

http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/
The only chart (that I know of) which actually puts together both universities, such as Harvard, and small liberal art schools, like Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore, and compares their undergraduate teaching quality...
Reply 10
Original post by A level Az
Havard > Columbia = LSE > Rest.

yea, u chicago totally blows.

:rolleyes:
Original post by danny111
yea, u chicago totally blows.

:rolleyes:

Yup, saying something is not as good as LSE/Columbia totally means it "blows".

:facepalm2:
Reply 12
Yup, saying something is not as good as LSE/Columbia totally means it "blows".

:facepalm2:

Stop talking your way out of it. If anything the list should go like this

Havard = Chicago > Columbia = LSE > Rest *.

So by you placing Chicago in the "Rest" category you may as well said it blows. Seems you haven't been to English class and learned what hyperbole is.

* ignoring those liberal arts colleges that no one outside of the US really cares for. Even if people in this thread try to make out they are better than all UK bar Oxbridge. I've never heard of Williams College. Call me ignorant if you want but I will interpret that fact my way (given that I have heard of say Dartmouth or Amherst I think I'm right).
Reply 13
Williams is like Amherst, but generally ranked higher and considered the Mecca for undergraduate studies...

Everyone on Wall Street knows it and it's a feeder school to all the Ivy League Grad Schools and also some companies like Goldman Sachs, McKinsey, Morgan Stanley, etc.

Very small, very expensive and quite hard to get into. Harder than Oxbridge by any standard. :wink:
I'd definitely turn down Oxbridge for it...

PS: The fact that you do not know a school, doesn't say anything about the school itself. :wink:
Stop talking your way out of it. If anything the list should go like this

Havard = Chicago > Columbia = LSE > Rest *.

So by you placing Chicago in the "Rest" category you may as well said it blows. Seems you haven't been to English class and learned what hyperbole is.

* ignoring those liberal arts colleges that no one outside of the US really cares for. Even if people in this thread try to make out they are better than all UK bar Oxbridge. I've never heard of Williams College. Call me ignorant if you want but I will interpret that fact my way (given that I have heard of say Dartmouth or Amherst I think I'm right).

1) I'm not talking my way out of it because I said what I thought. They're all good universities and none of them blow, just some are better than others
2) You lost all credibility when you said Havard = Chicago. No point debating with someone who is living in their own dream land.
There isn't anything more that needs to be said. Feel free to try and quote me but I won't bother reading or replying. Also, feel free to neg me :smile:

P.S. "Call me ignorant..." - You are ignorant, VERY ignorant :biggrin:
Reply 15
1) I'm not talking my way out of it because I said what I thought. They're all good universities and none of them blow, just some are better than others
2) You lost all credibility when you said Havard = Chicago. No point debating with someone who is living in their own dream land.
There isn't anything more that needs to be said. Feel free to try and quote me but I won't bother reading or replying. Also, feel free to neg me :smile:

P.S. "Call me ignorant..." - You are ignorant, VERY ignorant :biggrin:

I said that because I knew ud call me that anyway coz i didn know ur "omgz liberal arts college".

And 2) is a fecking joke. He is comparing LSE to US colleges. LSE's specialty is social sciences - take a wild guess which uni has the most econ nobel winners. Take a wild guess random internet guy.
Reply 16
Original post by amk933
Williams is like Amherst, but generally ranked higher and considered the Mecca for undergraduate studies...

Everyone on Wall Street knows it and it's a feeder school to all the Ivy League Grad Schools and also some companies like Goldman Sachs, McKinsey, Morgan Stanley, etc.

Very small, very expensive and quite hard to get into. Harder than Oxbridge by any standard. :wink:
I'd definitely turn down Oxbridge for it...

PS: The fact that you do not know a school, doesn't say anything about the school itself. :wink:

Who cares about Wall Street?
I said that because I knew ud call me that anyway coz i didn know ur "omgz liberal arts college".

And 2) is a fecking joke. He is comparing LSE to US colleges. LSE's specialty is social sciences - take a wild guess which uni has the most econ nobel winners. Take a wild guess random internet guy.

I'm not sure that's necessarily relevant. Chicago Harvard in terms of econ research but the OP isn't asking about PhDs he's asking about undergrad. Overall brand value is much more important than department prestige for undergrad degrees (when applying for jobs, especially the non-vocational ones that LSE type degrees set you up for).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
You'll get a degree almost as good as any of those Uni's from LSE while taking a year less and save yourself £100k+ depending on how much bursary your eligible for.
Reply 19
Original post by BigFudamental
I'm not sure that's necessarily relevant. Chicago Harvard in terms of econ research but the OP isn't asking about PhDs he's asking about undergrad. Overall brand value is much more important than department prestige for undergrad degrees (when applying for jobs, especially the non-vocational ones that LSE type degrees set you up for).

And you don't think Chicago has enough brand value? Sure Harvard probably has "more" but to what extent that it will affect OP? My guess, not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending