The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noodlzzz
It's likely that the doctor asked for your number to pass it on to the CMHT. They will contact you at some point to arrange an assessment to see if they can help you / review meds / arrange a care co-ordinator.

Okay, that doesn't sound too bad, thanks for the information :redface: Any idea how long it usually takes for them to get in touch? I'm at college so might miss a phone call, will they keep trying to call? This is all so alien to me, haha.
Reply 7881
I've had enough. I'm not going back to school again. Not when you get given an hour detention without being asked why you were absent. I know no one really cares about me. If they did, I would never be in this situation. From September I'm gonna go to college, at least (I hope) they'll genuinely care. If I continue now, I'll fail.
Original post by Anonymous
Okay, that doesn't sound too bad, thanks for the information :redface: Any idea how long it usually takes for them to get in touch? I'm at college so might miss a phone call, will they keep trying to call? This is all so alien to me, haha.

All the services I've been referred to I've normally heard from them within 2 weeks. Yes, they'll keep trying to call until every few hours until they can get through to you.
All the services I've been referred to I've normally heard from them within 2 weeks. Yes, they'll keep trying to call until every few hours until they can get through to you.

Brilliant, thank-you for letting me know. A few other questions (sorry!): can I drink alcohol whilst taking these meds? The information booklet says it's "not advised", but does that mean absolutely no alcohol? The booklet also says you usually have to take the meds for a period of 4-6 months, is this usually the case (assuming my mood improves)?
I've finally figured out the crisis team. They have one of these:

But instead of turn it on and off again they've got 'have a hot bath' :rofl:
Brilliant, thank-you for letting me know. A few other questions (sorry!): can I drink alcohol whilst taking these meds? The information booklet says it's "not advised", but does that mean absolutely no alcohol? The booklet also says you usually have to take the meds for a period of 4-6 months, is this usually the case (assuming my mood improves)?

I assume these are antidepressants? Yes you can drink on them, but start small rather than your usual amount as they can interact for some people and make you a bit more of a light weight / drowsy / sick.

It's normal practice that once your mood has improved to a reasonable level you should stay on the meds for 6 months after that to minimise it returning.
I assume these are antidepressants? Yes you can drink on them, but start small rather than your usual amount as they can interact for some people and make you a bit more of a light weight / drowsy / sick.

It's normal practice that once your mood has improved to a reasonable level you should stay on the meds for 6 months after that to minimise it returning.

Yes, citalopram. Okay, that's good to know as it looks like I'm going to be on them over summer .__. Thank-you for all the help! :heart:
Hi there,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this so please forgive me if not. I don't have depression diagnosed or anything but my best friend died about a year and a half ago and I don't seem to be over it at all. If anything it seems to be getting worse. I've lost interest in everything I used to (and she used to!) love doing, and I cannot concentrate on anything. I feel like a completely different person. I just feel very alone right now and I don't really have any to talk about it to..

again, sorry if this is in the wrong place
I've finally figured out the crisis team. They have one of these:

But instead of turn it on and off again they've got 'have a hot bath' :rofl:

omg I love the IT crowd :colondollar:

last time I actually called the crisis team they didn't even answer, useful bunch :rolleyes:

luckily my mood has stabilised again for now...plus gonna go out tonight so hopefully that goes well :smile:
Original post by dani_88
:hugs: thanks

How are you getting on? :smile:

medication still isn't really doing much, and anxiety and stuff is getting worse but hopefully once I get back for summer and can start CBT things will start to look up :smile: thanks though :hugs:

Original post by warp2125
Hey,

Yes Im ok.... got soaked again coming back from my support session. sofar soo good.... feel abit uneasy about the upcoming assignments.... there fairly big ones and Im abit worried that there wont be enough time.

I got quite abit of work done last night.... never seems to end though... gets abit overwhelming.

Yea deffo if you have a complaint then stick it to em..lol

I may be your nerves playing you up... as you said you handed in your dissertation, but you were sure you had missed something, coupled with the bad supervisor its bound to play on your mind...

Hope you get on ok.... and hope you have a good day. :smile:

Well try not to stress about it too much, normally stressing about the work just makes me less able to actually do any of it .... hope you manage to get it all sorted! Glad you managed to get some done yesterday!

Nah university does just seem neverending it is rather stressful, worked out that in 3 weeks I will have completely finished everything though :eek:

I did complain at them... the other people in my group didn't show up so I had to complain by myself, I managed it just fine though! Pretty good at complaining ... you may have noticed :tongue:

But yer I hope it is all due to the work and stuff and gets better soon it is really doing my head in now! going away with the parents tomorrow, not sure how I am feeling about all of that!

Hope you're alright and have a good day though :smile:
Just got back from the gym. For the first time ever I managed to get the balls to enter the free weights area. There was a bunch of huge guys there and then little me, but I did squats, bench press and random **** with some dumb-bells. Actually feel really good about myself. I managed to stay there for ages despite all the laughing and comments about my weight. Exercise is most definitely good for mood. :biggrin:
Reply 7891
Original post by Phoenix07
medication still isn't really doing much, and anxiety and stuff is getting worse but hopefully once I get back for summer and can start CBT things will start to look up :smile: thanks though :hugs:

Well try not to stress about it too much, normally stressing about the work just makes me less able to actually do any of it .... hope you manage to get it all sorted! Glad you managed to get some done yesterday!

Nah university does just seem neverending it is rather stressful, worked out that in 3 weeks I will have completely finished everything though :eek:

I did complain at them... the other people in my group didn't show up so I had to complain by myself, I managed it just fine though! Pretty good at complaining ... you may have noticed :tongue:

But yer I hope it is all due to the work and stuff and gets better soon it is really doing my head in now! going away with the parents tomorrow, not sure how I am feeling about all of that!

Hope you're alright and have a good day though :smile:

Maybe the break will do you some good. Although im not sure what I will do with out my moaning buddy. :frown:

But I agree with you... if any of the stress from the supervisor has impacted your final work then you have the right to seek .... well anything you can get (I suppose lots of £££££££££ is out of the question) :tongue:
Original post by Sabertooth
Just got back from the gym. For the first time ever I managed to get the balls to enter the free weights area. There was a bunch of huge guys there and then little me, but I did squats, bench press and random **** with some dumb-bells. Actually feel really good about myself. I managed to stay there for ages despite all the laughing and comments about my weight. Exercise is most definitely good for mood. :biggrin:

Good for you! :biggrin: Just think, they won't be laughing in a couple of months time when you've built some muscle. Keep at it!
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
That's actually quite lucky in a way - I revised but got lower grades than that :frown:

Yeah. Pretty sure it was my personal statement that got me in, as I got my offer from them within a week of submitting my UCAS. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway :colone:

Original post by avhhs
I've had enough. I'm not going back to school again. Not when you get given an hour detention without being asked why you were absent. I know no one really cares about me. If they did, I would never be in this situation. From September I'm gonna go to college, at least (I hope) they'll genuinely care. If I continue now, I'll fail.

:hugs:
Did you try speaking up and explaining why you were absent, without waiting for them to ask you?

Yey! :biggrin: Soon you'll be able to pick up the huge guys and use them as your weights :wink:
I still haven't got the balls to go (uni gym, in some ways that's worse than it being big hulking adults). I keep telling myself I'll lose a bit of weight first and then go when I'm more confident :tongue:

Still ill :mad: Written a paragraph in three hours, and I think it's time for a break.
Original post by warp2125
Maybe the break will do you some good. Although im not sure what I will do with out my moaning buddy. :frown:

But I agree with you... if any of the stress from the supervisor has impacted your final work then you have the right to seek .... well anything you can get (I suppose lots of £££££££££ is out of the question) :tongue:

Yer I think the break will be good .... just worried about spending the weekend with the parents, I am sure it'll be ok I just worry about these things. And they'll want me to make a decision about my future and I don't want to!

God the supervisor has caused real issues with the project and stuff so want to make sure I don't get marked down for her not being very good! (don't think I will get money though :tongue: )

I will be taking my laptop with me though, going to have to do alot of work this weekend (hahaha you can't get rid of my that easily :tongue: )
Reply 7895
Original post by angelbones

:hugs:
Did you try speaking up and explaining why you were absent, without waiting for them to ask you?

I didn't, but I don't care. I had a mock exam straight after, and I didn't do over half of it. The teacher wasn't happy. I didn't go back after break. I don't even want to go to school now. I will be willing to do the actual exams, but that's just about it. I don't want to go for unnecessary lessons. I just don't see the point. Look at how little revision I did during the holidays. And then you get teachers always putting you under pressure in various ways.

The worst thing of all is the bastard that is my dad. Never ****ing takes me seriously. He thinks whatever I'm doing is a joke. I just want to kill him.
Good for you! :biggrin: Just think, they won't be laughing in a couple of months time when you've built some muscle. Keep at it!

Original post by angelbones
Yey! :biggrin: Soon you'll be able to pick up the huge guys and use them as your weights :wink:
I still haven't got the balls to go (uni gym, in some ways that's worse than it being big hulking adults). I keep telling myself I'll lose a bit of weight first and then go when I'm more confident :tongue:

Heh, thanks guys. :smile:

Angelbones, you shouldn't worry about going. I was terrified to start with but it's ok if you just turn your MP3 player up loud and get on with it. Although I did lose a fair amount doing the couch to 5k program before I joined the gym. You could try that?
Argh, yet another group meeting tonight for people who have had psychosis and I'm dreading it. I just feel trapped in meetings like that as I can't escape and they are two hours long, still, I've already been to two of them and that went reasonably well so I guess I'll just go to this one tonight and see what happens.

Sometimes I just wish that I was just left to my own devices rather than having all these meetings with people. I know it is meant to make me feel better but in some circumstances it actually makes me feel worse because I feel so much under pressure to see my mental health improving.
It probably could be if I tried harder I think. Should have plenty of time to do it tomorrow though.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully mentor will give you a bit of a confidence boost :console:

That's hard when you're not in a good place though. How was today? :hugs:

Thanks, feel bad, I think this has been the worst week yet for revision. Also new phone arrived today, that hasn't helped with getting distracted. :colondollar:
My first android phone has me amazed as had my previous phone for 3 and a half years and it cost £20 new then. :lol:
Original post by avhhs
I didn't, but I don't care. I had a mock exam straight after, and I didn't do over half of it. The teacher wasn't happy. I didn't go back after break. I don't even want to go to school now. I will be willing to do the actual exams, but that's just about it. I don't want to go for unnecessary lessons. I just don't see the point. Look at how little revision I did during the holidays. And then you get teachers always putting you under pressure in various ways.

The worst thing of all is the bastard that is my dad. Never ****ing takes me seriously. He thinks whatever I'm doing is a joke. I just want to kill him.

:frown: :hugs:

Heh, thanks guys. :smile:

Angelbones, you shouldn't worry about going. I was terrified to start with but it's ok if you just turn your MP3 player up loud and get on with it. Although I did lose a fair amount doing the couch to 5k program before I joined the gym. You could try that?

I am doing already. Very slow going as my ankle's still recovering, but I go swimming twice a week now to strengthen it and that's certainly helping too :biggrin:

Latest