The Student Room Group

Job interview with Costa Coffee

Hi,

I've just come off the phone to Costa who called to tell me they would like to have an interview after having read my CV.

Has anyone ever had an interview with Costa Coffee and what should I expect from them? What will I be asked, etc and how should I best make myself come across to them? This is my first interview I have had so what should I bring along with me? They have already asked me to bring my passport so they can have a copy and should I bring all my qualifications that were listed on my CV as well?

Any other tips would be welcome too!

Scroll to see replies

Hey, when is your interview? Coincidentally, I had a phone call from them too today, at my local branch, and my interview is tomorrow. So i'll tell you how it goes after :smile: but I was planning on dressing smart and making myself appear confident and chatty, it's a customer service role so I presume they'd like to have bubbly people willing to have friendly chats with the customers. And I don't think it's necessary to bring your qualifications but you might as well do just in case. Also, you could bring a photocopy too of your passport just to show initiative, you know, it'll be less hassle.

I hope this helps a little :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ChuckthePieGirl
Hey, when is your interview? Coincidentally, I had a phone call from them too today, at my local branch, and my interview is tomorrow. So i'll tell you how it goes after :smile: but I was planning on dressing smart and making myself appear confident and chatty, it's a customer service role so I presume they'd like to have bubbly people willing to have friendly chats with the customers. And I don't think it's necessary to bring your qualifications but you might as well do just in case. Also, you could bring a photocopy too of your passport just to show initiative, you know, it'll be less hassle.

Thanks, sounds a good idea! Mine is on Tuesday.

I have heard from some people that it isn't necessary to bring along your qualifications if they aren't particularly needed and/or it is only for part time work, however. Maybe I'll bring them but put my passport and passport copy in it too so if they don't need to see them, It will just seem like I had my passport. :colondollar:

Thanks for the advice and can't wait to hear how yours goes! Good luck!
Original post by Joshalos
Hi,

I've just come off the phone to Costa who called to tell me they would like to have an interview after having read my CV.

Has anyone ever had an interview with Costa Coffee and what should I expect from them? What will I be asked, etc and how should I best make myself come across to them? This is my first interview I have had so what should I bring along with me? They have already asked me to bring my passport so they can have a copy and should I bring all my qualifications that were listed on my CV as well?

Any other tips would be welcome too!

How did you guys get jobs with them? Hpw do you apply?
Reply 4
Original post by cool pilot dude
How did you guys get jobs with them? Hpw do you apply?

For me, the position was advertised on a job site asking to email them a CV along with a covering letter to their local shop.
Reply 5

Hey! If you don't mind, what was the interview like? :h:
Thanks, sounds a good idea! Mine is on Tuesday.

I have heard from some people that it isn't necessary to bring along your qualifications if they aren't particularly needed and/or it is only for part time work, however. Maybe I'll bring them but put my passport and passport copy in it too so if they don't need to see them, It will just seem like I had my passport. :colondollar:

Thanks for the advice and can't wait to hear how yours goes! Good luck!

Hey :smile: well, I had the interview and it was quite alright. There were no tricky questions. And if you're lucky, the interviewer will be quite friendly like mine. So, the questions: they asked me things like, have you ever had to deal with a difficult customer? describe a time when you helped out a colleague? what are the advantages of teamwork? what standards should be kept high? I said cleaning and presentation- no dusty counters, un-cleared tables etc. Give examples of ways to increase target sales. I said, asking if a customer would like a refill, if they'd like an almond croissant with their tea/coffee, extra shot/syrup and just immediately say Medium or Large- steer them away from small :smile: And they asked me if I prefer working during a busy period or a quiet period on a working day.

And If I remember anything else, I'll tell you. Good Luck!
Reply 7
Hey :smile: well, I had the interview and it was quite alright. There were no tricky questions. And if you're lucky, the interviewer will be quite friendly like mine. So, the questions: they asked me things like, have you ever had to deal with a difficult customer? describe a time when you helped out a colleague? what are the advantages of teamwork? what standards should be kept high? I said cleaning and presentation- no dusty counters, un-cleared tables etc. Give examples of ways to increase target sales. I said, asking if a customer would like a refill, if they'd like an almond croissant with their tea/coffee, extra shot/syrup and just immediately say Medium or Large- steer them away from small :smile: And they asked me if I prefer working during a busy period or a quiet period on a working day.

And If I remember anything else, I'll tell you. Good Luck!

Sounds really positive! Hope you get the job! The only thing I am worried about is the fact that I've only done a little bit of work experience in a pharmacy although hopefully I sold it well in my CV or they wouldn't be considering me! But even so, things like dealing with difficult customers or helping out a colleague is something I haven't really ever experienced.

Also, did you bring anything specific with you like any documents or certificates?

Hey, thanks! And don't worry about it- like the examples I gave, I sort of bended the truth a little bit. So if you worked in a pharmacy, just say something like- one of the customers needed some prescription that you just ran out of and they were getting sarky or irritated with you- say you apologised profusely and checked on the computer when new stock would be coming in, and you could say you asked for their telephone number and offered to give them a call when stock of their prescription arrived. Something like that?

And I just brought my passport but that's all they asked for :smile:
Reply 9
Hey, thanks! And don't worry about it- like the examples I gave, I sort of bended the truth a little bit. So if you worked in a pharmacy, just say something like- one of the customers needed some prescription that you just ran out of and they were getting sarky or irritated with you- say you apologised profusely and checked on the computer when new stock would be coming in, and you could say you asked for their telephone number and offered to give them a call when stock of their prescription arrived. Something like that?

And I just brought my passport but that's all they asked for :smile:

Thanks for the tips! I'll be in there in just two hours so I'll let you know how it went for me!
... I know this was a fortnight ago but I was wondering how your interview went - I'm looking towards working at Costa this Summer. Thanks!
Reply 11
Original post by lettucesoap
... I know this was a fortnight ago but I was wondering how your interview went - I'm looking towards working at Costa this Summer. Thanks!

Wasn't much of an interview - literally was come in, sit down, fill out an application form, 'what times are you looking to work?' Talked a little bit about work experience.
A week later I get a call asking me to come to a welcome day, filled in my bank details etc and then got another call about ordering my uniform.
Had some more training this morning.

Want to point out that at no point did they actually mention that I got the job but I worked it out pretty soon afterwards! :biggrin:

My first official shift is next saturday, 8-4.
Wasn't much of an interview - literally was come in, sit down, fill out an application form, 'what times are you looking to work?' Talked a little bit about work experience.
A week later I get a call asking me to come to a welcome day, filled in my bank details etc and then got another call about ordering my uniform.
Had some more training this morning.

Want to point out that at no point did they actually mention that I got the job but I worked it out pretty soon afterwards! :biggrin:

My first official shift is next saturday, 8-4.

thanks so much for your reply! congrats on getting the job. hope you dont mind me asking what the pay is like? :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by lettucesoap
thanks so much for your reply! congrats on getting the job. hope you dont mind me asking what the pay is like? :smile:

Haven't been directly told but my friend (who also happened to get the job which is pretty good - all the training is done with someone I know!:colondollar:) says that it is £6.37 an hour which is great for 17 and as a first job! :biggrin:
I work at costa, its really good :smile: I get paid 6.20 an hour but it does depend what area of the country you are in :smile: good luck with your new job :smile:
Haven't been directly told but my friend (who also happened to get the job which is pretty good - all the training is done with someone I know!:colondollar:) says that it is £6.37 an hour which is great for 17 and as a first job! :biggrin:

awesome! thanks for sharing :smile:

Original post by littlesocksx
I work at costa, its really good :smile: I get paid 6.20 an hour but it does depend what area of the country you are in :smile: good luck with your new job :smile:

do you enjoy it? what are the hours like? :smile:
lettucesoap
do you enjoy it? what are the hours like? :smile:

Yep i love it. Best place ive worked in. Hours are pretty varied, are you full time or part time? Where i work some shifts could be 10 - 7.30 or 8.30 - 5.30 but there are shorter shifts like 10 - 3. It just depends how the store likes to be organised. When you change seasons and change food in the store you should have a team meeting and you get to try all the food :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Hey :smile: they just ask the normal questions like why do you want to work at costa and what's your favourite costa drink and how would your friends describe you. It was all those type of questoins, The only question that threw me was 'was who inspires you?' Only because I wasn't expecting it though, but other than that it was a nice interview and they don't ask any really hard questions :smile:
Reply 18
I had my interview sometime last week and they asked questions such as 1. who inspires you? 2. describe a situation in where you where challenged? 3. what are you passionate about.
I then received a phone call for on the job training (this is the practical part of the interview)
Hope this helps!
Hey, i dont know if any of you will be able to reply in time, but i have an interview at costa tomorrow in the afternoon, and i was wondering what you answered to the questions? just to give me some ideas...like who inspires you? and what are you passionate about? and what did you say for describe a situation in which you were challenged? describe a time when you have helped out a collegue? im just a little unsure of what to answer as my previous jobs really havent been very challenging so i have never really had to deal with many of those situations...if any of you could help that would be super great! because i sooooo want this job!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending