The Student Room Group

Picking a Degree

I really need help picking an economics degree, could someone please summarize the degrees, BSc and BA...like Economics and Philosophy, Econ and finance, and what not.
Also I didn't do well this year, do teachers predict you higher so you can apply for relatively good uni's - I know my grades will be higher at the end of year 13 obviously.
BSc = applied Maths. Do not apply unless you have an interest in and are competent at maths.

BA = Still has compulsory maths but will have more options of essay-based modules to replace advanced maths modules.

Econ and Phil = If you have an interest in Philosophy then this is a very interesting degree; gives you a nice balance of maths and essays. I would, however, recommend PPE instead if you can get the grades (it's more competitive).

Econ and Finance = A lot of maths

They usually predict you higher, yes, but obviously there is a limit and will depend on your academic history, attendance etc. If your teachers know you could have done better, and were expecting you to, they will predict you generously. Universities probably know this though and will still look at your AS grades, so bear that in mind.
Reply 2
PPE?

Could you please give me an overview of some good BA degrees? Do they require a lesser maths grade.
Reply 3
Original post by TheSupremeOne
PPE?

Could you please give me an overview of some good BA degrees? Do they require a lesser maths grade.

PPE is Politics, Philosophy and Economics. You can read this at Oxford, Durham, Exeter, York and Sussex (maybe a few others).
Maths is not a necessary requirement for this course :smile: Essay based subjects are more useful when applying for PPE.

Sussex only ask for GCSE Maths grade b:
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/ug/2013/1668/28757#tabs-3

What other subjects are you interested in ? To combine with economics maybe ?

Also in my AS's I got ABCD, and was predicted AAA and got offers for psych from Bristol,Bath, Exeter and Royal Holloway :smile: so yeah they can predict you higher :smile: and with a good PS you should be fine :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Jackkkkk
PPE is Politics, Philosophy and Economics. You can read this at Oxford, Durham, Exeter, York and Sussex (maybe a few others).
Maths is not a necessary requirement for this course :smile: Essay based subjects are more useful when applying for PPE.

Sussex only ask for GCSE Maths grade b:
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/ug/2013/1668/28757#tabs-3

What other subjects are you interested in ? To combine with economics maybe ?

Also in my AS's I got ABCD, and was predicted AAA and got offers for psych from Bristol,Bath, Exeter and Royal Holloway :smile: so yeah they can predict you higher :smile: and with a good PS you should be fine :smile:

Reply 5
Well my A-levels at the moment are Eng Lit, Maths & Economics.
Reply 6
Original post by TheSupremeOne
Well my A-levels at the moment are Eng Lit, Maths & Economics.

Well you would be fine to apply to for BSc degree if that's what you wanted. Those subject combinations are also perfect for PPE or Philosophy and Economics or Economics and Management etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending