The Student Room Group

Mathematics applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Firmed Exeter! :biggrin:
Anyone else? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't decide between Durham and Nottingham?? Probably putting Newcastle as insurance. Please help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kieranoo
Can't decide between Durham and Nottingham?? Probably putting Newcastle as insurance. Please help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Durham id say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 124
Has anybody firmed st Andrews?
Original post by Son of Eric
Durham or Bath? Can't think straight! Need to have decided by next week when bath's accommodation opens. Please help. Any insights welcome!

My mate is doing Maths at Durham and he does not like the course or the area.
Original post by Son of Eric
Durham or Bath? Can't think straight! Need to have decided by next week when bath's accommodation opens. Please help. Any insights welcome!

I don't know much about Durham, but I study Maths at Bath :tongue: and love it here. There are some bits of the course that I don't like (because the topics are of no interest to me) :dontknow: but that's about the only downside.

This page may have some useful information.
Thanks Sean. No one seems to come out of the woodwork in favour of Durham!! Do you happen to know much about music in Bath? Whether its easy to get into the ensembles, and whether they're any good?
Firmed Leeds
Do you have to do physics at A Level to have a chance at the top unis?
Original post by surina16
Do you have to do physics at A Level to have a chance at the top unis?

No you can get offers from Oxbridge and Imperial/warwick without it but it is highly desirable. but no you don't have to. Buffer it by doing M1-3 atleast.
Original post by physicsmaths
No you can get offers from Oxbridge and Imperial/warwick without it but it is highly desirable. but no you don't have to. Buffer it by doing M1-3 atleast.

Okay thank you. I've selected Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology because I'm unsure between something down the medicine/biochem route or maths - so different I know :biggrin:
Would you say that it's easy to self teach M2 & M3? (In case they're not the ones my school picks?)
Okay thank you. I've selected Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology because I'm unsure between something down the medicine/biochem route or maths - so different I know :biggrin:
Would you say that it's easy to self teach M2 & M3? (In case they're not the ones my school picks?)

it isn't impossible but yeh it is doable as i taught myself M3-5 and kind of M2.

M2 is ridiculously easy to self teach. M3 is the first mechanics module that is objectively difficult so I can reckon you'd get some trouble there.
Anyone got suggestions on what material or skills to familiarise myself with? I got into Discrete Maths at Warwick and I have the feeling I am way out of my depth (did the 4 A level offer instead of taking STEP, hate those exams ever since my disastrous attempt at the MAT).
Original post by 16characterlimit
Anyone got suggestions on what material or skills to familiarise myself with? I got into Discrete Maths at Warwick and I have the feeling I am way out of my depth (did the 4 A level offer instead of taking STEP, hate those exams ever since my disastrous attempt at the MAT).

If you can get access to any notes then great, it may help to just read slightly ahead. It looks like you'll be doing a fair bit of programming so maybe having a look at what languages you'll learn and getting some practice in may help, as well as some algebra/analysis etc so some introductory material may be worth looking at, but that's awfully broad and maybe not so helpful. Wouldn't suggest buying textbooks as a heads up unless someone from Warwick tells you that they are a must / highly useful.

Quick Reply

Latest