The Student Room Group

uninstalling ''cold turkey'' app?

I recently installed a programme which blocks: Facebook, you tube, daily mail, eBay, etc and addictive site for 7 days until after exams to help study

i feel so isolated
I've revised all day and starting to regret ''cold turkey app'' as it lasts for 6 more days... everytime i try to delete it says

''haha nice try,keep revising.''

it says i cant install until after 6 days.. regardless of update etc..its literally the definition of cold turkey...any way to get round this?

Scroll to see replies

Any way of deleting it through iTunes (assuming you have an iphone/itouch)?
Reply 2
Proxy websites? This is a guess but in the same way you could watch an embedded youtube video rather than on youtube itself.
Reply 3
Oh wait is it on a computer or phone?
You're struggling after one day? Sounds like you need it.

Going by what it says on the website, you're pretty much screwed. Try setting up a second user account and use that for the next few days until it expires.
Reply 5
Original post by k9markiii
Oh wait is it on a computer or phone?

it's on the computer..i tried everything.. as long as the link starts with www.facebook.com...it wont work regardless or anything
Reply 6
it doest work...it uses Ur IP address to block...a lesson learned for me..
I know i seem like a very sad person after a day but its because i moved across the country form my friends and fb helps to communicate cheaply
Reply 7
Original post by scorpio22
it's on the computer..i tried everything.. as long as the link starts with www.facebook.com...it wont work regardless or anything

What if you looked it up in an obscure language then google translate the page?
Is there a way could plug it into the computer, rummage through the system files and delete files related to the app?
Original post by scorpio22
it doest work...it uses Ur IP address to block...a lesson learned for me..
I know i seem like a very sad person after a day but its because i moved across the country form my friends and fb helps to communicate cheaply

Looks like it will have to be a proxy then.
Original post by Retrodiction
Is there a way could plug it into the computer, rummage through the system files and delete files related to the app?

The website says something about planting encrypted files elsewhere. Looks like they've covered the bases pretty thoroughly from what I can tell!
Wow. No idea how to get rid of it, but I'm installing it!
Google Chrome website-blocking apps became useless as soon as I worked out how to uninstall it. .....you just click uninstall :sigh: surely they would make it trickier to uninstall, especially as it's aimed at procrastinators.
Reply 12
Original post by tsr-member

became useless as soon as I worked out how to uninstall it. .....you just click uninstall :sigh: surely they would make it trickier to uninstall, especially as it's aimed at procrastinators.

:rofl3:l..totally something i would do..i was going to use it but i knew i would do that...

cold turkey has been useful to an extent as i have crammed n learned alot in one but i didn't realise 7 days is alot of time for some one spends a lot of time on fb
Original post by tsr-member
Wow. No idea how to get rid of it, but I'm installing it!
Google Chrome website-blocking apps became useless as soon as I worked out how to uninstall it. .....you just click uninstall :sigh: surely they would make it trickier to uninstall, especially as it's aimed at procrastinators.

Am I the only AS student that doesn't get this?

Why not tell your friends (who should have exams) that your busy revising
And Am I the only on that can stop crasting on random sites :L
I have itunes and youtube for music (and food) and can manage for ages :L?
Original post by ieatcheeseyo
Am I the only AS student that doesn't get this?

Why not tell your friends (who should have exams) that your busy revising
And Am I the only on that can stop crasting on random sites :L
I have itunes and youtube for music (and food) and can manage for ages :L?

You probably had a "wake up call" in GCSEs or have always been able to do that. If you coast through exams normally it's hard to change your ways unless a stimulus forces you to e.g. not doing as well as you want.
Original post by k9markiii
You probably had a "wake up call" in GCSEs or have always been able to do that. If you coast through exams normally it's hard to change your ways unless a stimulus forces you to e.g. not doing as well as you want.

GCSE's was literally 3 pages from CGP, Memorise then answer questions...

But I f you know you procrast on random sites, don't go on them?

I still talk on msn/fb/texts but it'll be a random convo here and there..

Like revising..friends going to mk, tak for 15 mins, revise, friends playing mgs4 and needs explaing talk for like 30 mins...

But everyone else says they just can't revise?

Im not some bookworm or something, I have music on and go downstairs like everyhour to get a bite of food :L
Reply 16
If you know where its keys are in the registry, you could kill it off there.
Then delete all the files it has in your program files.
Is it an active process? Or is it a one time run, and wait for the week to elapse?
Reply 17
I've been trying to remove this as well!
I've got 5 days left :frown:

Apparently if you try to remove it more complex ways it adds a week on.
Why did I install this
7 days? Pfft! Mine has just blocked me for 35! There wasw an error message before it opened and I only put it on until 11pm so I'm about to email the maker. I have uninstalled the program now but the block is still running :h:
Reply 19
I loled at the people using this app.