The Student Room Group

Exeter or Cambridge?

Before I start I'd just like to say that I'm not making this thread to brag about getting a Cambridge offer and considering turning it down, I just want some advice/another perspective on the situation.

In AS I got good grades and so I was encouraged to apply for Cambridge just to see what happened, my parents were also keen as my dad and granddad both went to Cambridge as well. I didn't particularly want to go but applied anyway because I thought I probably wouldn't get an offer.

Now I'm faced with a dilemma as I've received offers from Cambridge (Natural Sciences Biological) and Exeter (Biological Sciences) and I don't know what to do.

At the open day I fell in love with Exeter University and the city, the course is ideal for me as it leans slightly more towards the ecological/zoological side than most universities, the course allows for a choice of lots of different options in the second/third year so I could tailor the degree more specifically to my interests and also I could take a module in French which I would love to do. Another couple of bonuses of Exeter is that they've offered me a scholarship and it is much much closer to home than Cambridge.

But then I feel like I'm crazy to want to turn down Cambridge but the simple fact is I don't want to go there. I didn't like the atmosphere and I completely detest the ceremonies and traditions. Not to mention the workload is insane and I think I would find it hard to keep up playing an instrument and having a social life as well. I don't actually like the idea of a Natural Sciences course either, I find the options too broad and I wouldn't be able to tailor the degree as much as I would at Exeter. Cambridge is a long way from home and I just didn't feel 'right' there. Also I don't like the idea of eating in hall every night, I want to be able to cook for myself (Although that's a much more minor consideration)

Overall the only reasons I would choose cambridge would be because 'It's Cambridge!' i.e. the reputation and because the buildings are pretty. Is it worth sacrificing my happiness for three years for that reputation? I feel sick with jealousy of people I know at exeter/who are going and I don't know why I should feel like that because I CAN go, but I'm finding it impossible to reject the Cambridge offer.

Any advice is appreciated, apologies for the random stream of consciousness.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What college is your offer for?
Reply 2
Go to Exeter imo, 3 years is a long time to spend at a place you don't like.
Exeter is a truly amazing university and place - I too fell in love with it, and would transfer in an instant if I hadn't made strong bonds with people at my current uni. I doubt you'll be at much disadvantage, though obviously a natural sciences degree from Cambridge has the benefit of a much broader scope, and of having the name of the university on your CV. If you're only really interested in biology, and don't want to have to take modules from chemistry, geology, physics etc, I would go for Exeter.
Go to Exeter if you think you'll prefer it. It seems pretty evident that you'd prefer it.

Yet, i'll just warn you, be ready for remarks such as "why did you reject Cambridge?!?! *starts crying then faints*"
Reply 5
King's College, which I realise is a lot less heavy on the traditions (That's the main reason why I chose it)
Exeter if you can't bare feeling crap somedays.

Cambridge if you want to propel yourself into a good job with no issues at all because you went to Cambridge.

Your choice, personally I'd rather spend my time at Cambridge, how bad can one of the best universities in the world be?

Edit: Thread that asks for opinions, neg people who don't go with the popular one. TSR, sometimes, you people can be awesome and other times I wonder...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Follow your heart, go to Exeter.
Reply 8
Go to Exeter. Being somwhere you actually like>>>>>it's reputation.
Reply 9
Original post by thalliday93
King's College, which I realise is a lot less heavy on the traditions (That's the main reason why I chose it)

I heard this too but when I went there for an open day I ound it to be quite posh. If that was the least posh one then I shudder to think what the others are like.
Original post by thalliday93
x

If the workload is the same as Oxford sciences, then spending a lot of time on subjects you have less interest in (physics, chemistry or whatever) may sap your enthusiasm quite a lot... Also, I think it'll be a more high-pressure / stressful course, and you may really miss being close to home. You sound like you'd much much rather go to Exeter but want some persuading...

Are your parents happy with you considering to reject Cambridge? If you've got their support behind you, talk it over with them, and... I guess hope you don't regret it later on! If you have a brilliant three years and get a good degree, there's no reason you should do. :smile:
'The simple fact is I don't want to go there.' - what else needs to be said?
I go to Exeter and I would not change it for the world.
Reply 13
Original post by Agenda Suicide
Exeter if you can't bare feeling crap somedays.

Cambridge if you want to propel yourself into a good job with no issues at all because you went to Cambridge.

Your choice, personally I'd rather spend my time at Cambridge, how bad can one of the best universities in the world be?

your signature is a mind****!
Reply 14
Do whatever you think will make you happiest in the long run. You don't want to regret your choice in years to come.
Original post by laura94
your signature is a mind****!

Hahaha I'm glad it (I suppose in a way) amused you or atleast got you thinking.
Yeah go to Exeter, it's your future :smile:

Never thought about it before but I guess I'm quite lucky to love cambridge so much.
Agenda Suicide

I only misread the second line. The rest was wrong for me :tongue:
I think university is not just about enjoying the three years but what it sets you up for. A degree from cambridge is definitely going to open up more doors for you and may be even get you better pay. I'd say visit cambridge and exeter again and maybe ask to shadow current students and talk to the professors to get a better feel of the places. Don't make the decision rashly based on emotions, but dont let anyone force you to go to cambridge if you are really sure it is not for you.
Reply 19
this thread is really helpful for people considering Exeter then!

Quick Reply

Latest