The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Rate my chances at LSE?

I got in for Physics at Imperial but i want to switch to LSE (i'm going to apply while i'm at Imperial so if i get rejected i will still be at Imperial). I was wondering if anybody could rate my chances in getting into LSE. I'm going to apply as an international student paying full fees (not scholarship or anything like that): Here are my grades

GCSEs- 5A* 3As 1B (A*in Maths and A in additional maths)
A-level most likely going to get A*A*AA to around A*AAB
In Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry respectively

I'm planning to applying for:
-Econometrics with Mathematical Economics
-Maths with Economics
-Maths and Economics

I'll only be applying to LSE so my personal statement will be very focused on LSE. I have a good range of extra curricular etc.

I know it is very difficult to rate a candidates chances, but can anybody give me some idea to see if this is realistic or not.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Doesn't matter what anyone on these forums think, it has no bearing on your chances.

Just apply and see what happens. Assuming Imperial won't know you're applying, you have nothing to lose.

What is more important is that you seem to be doing a 180 degrees u-turn. Your A-Levels show you are scientifically minded, you chose Physics at Imperial but are now wanting to switch to LSE for something combining maths and economics?

You have to ask yourself why the change and if you really enjoy stats as opposed to applied maths.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by dugdugdug
Doesn't matter what anyone on these forums think, it has no bearing on your chances.

Just apply and see what happens. Assuming Imperial won't know you're applying, you have nothing to lose.

What is more important is that you seem to be doing a 180 degrees u-turn. Your A-Levels show you are scientifically minded, you chose Physics at Imperial but are now wanting to switch to LSE for something combining maths and economics?

You have to ask yourself why the change and if you really enjoy stats as opposed to applied maths.

Well the thing is i thought initially i like physics and i enjoy Maths, Further Maths and Physics a-levels a lot. I read a few books on string theory and quantum physics and like it a lot. I initially wanted to do Maths at university but i found out its very different to a-level maths are there is a lot more proof, rigour which i don't really like. Also in my spare time, i am much more interested in current affairs, politics and would always pick up the economist. I never pick up new scientist or read any sciency magazine and books.

Also how much will i be disadvantaged (in terms of strength of application) if i didn't do economics a-level?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ruvermillion
Well the thing is i thought initially i like physics and i enjoy Maths, Further Maths and Physics a-levels a lot. I read a few books on string theory and quantum physics and like it a lot. I initially wanted to do Maths at university but i found out its very different to a-level maths are there is a lot more proof, rigour which i don't really like. Also in my spare time, i am much more interested in current affairs, politics and would always pick up the economist. I never pick up new scientist or read any sciency magazine and books.

Also how much will i be disadvantaged (in terms of strength of application) if i didn't do economics a-level?

I don't really think thats a good indicator for such a change. What you can do is do your physics degree and you can read economics as something for pleasure. Lots of people are interested in politics and economics but don't do a degree in either subject
Reply 4
Yes you will get in. But now that i have said you will get in you wont.
Reply 5
Original post by Nightufury
Yes you will get in. But now that i have said you will get in you wont.

If you got nothing useful to say, then keep your mouth shut
Reply 6
Original post by Aphalleon
I don't really think thats a good indicator for such a change. What you can do is do your physics degree and you can read economics as something for pleasure. Lots of people are interested in politics and economics but don't do a degree in either subject

I agree, ie do Physics but swot up on finance along the way.

The vast majority of people do not end up working in an area they studied, especially engineering. They all go into finance, accountancy, banking, consultancy, etc.

By studying physics, you are keeping your options open later, in that you can go into industry or finance.

Studying maths with economics won't give you the flexibility.

I understand your concern with proofs and Imperial is a research orientated uni and focuses heavily on proofs (so that new ideas can be formed and research becomes productive).

It is possible to study A-Level Physics without A-Levels maths and I have known such people considering a Physics degree. What is commonly forgotten is that there is a lot of maths with Physics, especially at a place like Imperial, though that's not to say it's a problem for you as you enjoy both.

LSE's approach would to apply the theory to solving problems and be more practical.

My concern is not a case of Imperial v LSE. It's Physics v maths with economics.

Put it this way: how long did it take you to decide to apply for Physics as opposed to maths with economics?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was a long time for the former and a sudden change of heart for the latter.

Whatever the decision, you won't be applying to the LSE until the autumn so you'll have plenty of time to think it over.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
not really the high i'm afraid. Lets say worst case scenario (just in case) you do get A*AAB, that is pretty much just their minimum requirement. There will be loads of candidates who are predicted much higher than A*AAB so i don't think thts high enough
Reply 8
not to bad, the GCSE's arent outstanding my LSE standards but the predicted grades are pretty damn good but having said that the chances of anyone hear giving an accurate rating of your chances for LSE are minuscule as LSE is one of the most picky universities ive ever heard of -_-. either way id advise not limiting yourself to applying for just LSE as considering theres several hundred if not over a thousand people applying to these courses for a very small number of places the chances will never be very good. unless you have lots of money to 'donate' :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by cl_steele
not to bad, the GCSE's arent outstanding my LSE standards but the predicted grades are pretty damn good but having said that the chances of anyone hear giving an accurate rating of your chances for LSE are minuscule as LSE is one of the most picky universities ive ever heard of -_-. either way id advise not limiting yourself to applying for just LSE as considering theres several hundred if not over a thousand people applying to these courses for a very small number of places the chances will never be very good. unless you have lots of money to 'donate' :rolleyes:

the only thing i'm afraid of are my grades. My GCSEs aren't great and realistically i'll get A*AAA at A-level which is pretty much the minimum entry requirements. The people applying next year will have predicted grades much higher than my actual grades.
Reply 10
I think you would have a decent chance. I think a lot will depend on the quality of your personal statement. It's worth applying because you could well get in and if not you'd still be at a great university anyway.
Reply 11
Original post by milkytea
I think you would have a decent chance. I think a lot will depend on the quality of your personal statement. It's worth applying because you could well get in and if not you'd still be at a great university anyway.

Really, you won't think my grades will weigh me down? (Compared to some grade predictions of other candidates, they are average at best)
Reply 12
Really, you won't think my grades will weigh me down? (Compared to some grade predictions of other candidates, they are average at best)

Well, because your grades will be around the average I'd say that your application may well live or die based on the quality of your personal statement. All the tutors I've spoken to at LSE have said that the personal statement is very important to them because they have to differentiate high quality candidates without interview. If your personal statement is amongst the best, then I'd say you have a good chance of getting an offer even though your grades may be fairly average. Look at your personal statement as an opportunity to show that you can write concisely and fluently as well as to show why you're committed to your subject. If you do that well then there's every chance.
Reply 13

If you are oriental and applying as an international student paying all the fees (as you say), average grades will be overlooked :smile:
Reply 14
yea, your grades will be very average.
Reply 15
I'm planning to applying for:
-Econometrics with Mathematical Economics
-Maths with Economics
-Maths and Economics

I'll only be applying to LSE so my personal statement will be very focused on LSE. I have a good range of extra curricular etc.

I know it is very difficult to rate a candidates chances, but can anybody give me some idea to see if this is realistic or not.

This is a good start for advice: http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/files/UCAS-Economics-Advice-Spring2012.pdf

On another LSE-related note, I'm assured by other TSRers that the LSE gives only one offer per applicant maximum - so you won't have a choice of courses at the end. You should also be prepared for the admissions tutors to go through your personal statement with a fine comb, and a late reply for some courses. I was a post-results applicant, and they didn't reply to me until March 21st for Economics. And that was earlier than for a lot of people.

Lastly, why do you want to leave Imperial? It has an amazing reputation, and if investment banking is where you want to end up, my supervisor at work experience had a doctorate from Imperial.
Reply 16
Original post by TGH1
This is a good start for advice: http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/files/UCAS-Economics-Advice-Spring2012.pdf

On another LSE-related note, I'm assured by other TSRers that the LSE gives only one offer per applicant maximum - so you won't have a choice of courses at the end. You should also be prepared for the admissions tutors to go through your personal statement with a fine comb, and a late reply for some courses. I was a post-results applicant, and they didn't reply to me until March 21st for Economics. And that was earlier than for a lot of people.

Lastly, why do you want to leave Imperial? It has an amazing reputation, and if investment banking is where you want to end up, my supervisor at work experience had a doctorate from Imperial.

So, lets say if LSE wants to accept me, will they see that i have applied to 3 of their courses and reject me on purpose for 2 of them? Also do you think my grades are good enough? Lets say worst comes worst in exams and i do end up with A*AAB, I'm afraid that because theses are the minimum requirements, I'll be heavily disadvantaged with candidates who are predicted higher results than i am. What grades did you get if i may ask and what course did you apply to?

Also the reason i'm not going for Imperial is because i don't think i have a genuine interest in doing physics, where i like Economics and Maths a lot more.
So, lets say if LSE wants to accept me, will they see that i have applied to 3 of their courses and reject me on purpose for 2 of them? Also do you think my grades are good enough? Lets say worst comes worst in exams and i do end up with A*AAB, I'm afraid that because theses are the minimum requirements, I'll be heavily disadvantaged with candidates who are predicted higher results than i am. What grades did you get if i may ask and what course did you apply to?

Also the reason i'm not going for Imperial is because i don't think i have a genuine interest in doing physics, where i like Economics and Maths a lot more.

Of course they will see that you've applied for 3 courses. They'll probably think you are more interested in studying at LSE than you are of studying the actual courses you are applying for which is not necessarily a good thing...my impression is that a lot of the lecturers are tired of people with zero interest in the subject matter basically hijacking the place so they can whore themselves out to an investment bank once they've graduated.
Reply 18

As the above has pointed out, they will know you've applied for three - you'd apply to the same department (I think) for all of them, and you ultimately go through the admissions office anyway. I'm yet to hear of anyone who has multiple offers from LSE. One person allegedly called them and was told it was policy to only give one offer. But you should contact them if this bothers you particularly. I was told on a visit day that there's a certain degree of flexibility within your department (ie you might be able to swap to a different related course after your first year).

I have no idea if they'd consider your grades 'good enough'; what I do know, however, is that even though I've surpassed the minimum entrance requirements for Economics (which are A*AA, with an A in Maths; I've had A*A*A*A, in Economics, English, Maths, and History, respectively), they're insisting on an A in Further Maths, which I'm completing on my gap year. As you're applying for the super-Maths-based programmes, they'll expect a solid showing in Maths and Further Maths. But you won't necessarily be disadvantaged, as you would have actually achieved those grades, whilst pre-results applicants have had theirs predicted.

I could be wrong in saying this, but I imagine the personal statement is almost as important as the actual grades you achieve, and will ultimately determine the course they think you most suitable for, if they think you are suitable at all. They reject a lot of people with amazing grades. They rejected my friend last year for Econometrics and Mathematical Economics. He's at Peterhouse, Cambridge now.

If you go ahead with your application, good luck! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by DannyBoy123
Of course they will see that you've applied for 3 courses. They'll probably think you are more interested in studying at LSE than you are of studying the actual courses you are applying for which is not necessarily a good thing...my impression is that a lot of the lecturers are tired of people with zero interest in the subject matter basically hijacking the place so they can whore themselves out to an investment bank once they've graduated.

Well, Maths and/with economics and Econometrics with Mathematical economics are all very similar so why would they think i'm just applying for the LSE name?

Quick Reply

Latest