The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

London 'Blackspeak' and 'Black' Grime/Rap Music

Who here detests the stereotypical London 'Blackspeak', that stereotypical accent that pervades many black boys and girls in London from about ten years old to their early twenties?

Of course I generalise here, but this irritating accent has now become a signature label for young black people - one can simply hop on a bus at 3.30pm in an area with a large black population and see the groups of young black kids speaking in this low manner with all sorts of slangs and many even playing all of this 'cool' Grime music (mostly dotted with Black 'artists'). (If you can't do this experiment, just watch something like 'My Murder' on BBC 3 or Adulthood/Kidulthood.)

And the Grime/Rap music (British) is also part of this debilitating culture. It further fuels a materialist culture and turns the young peoples' brains into mush. I have a cousin who is being slowly degraded to this low place in life; squandering his money on Nike trainers and his accent has considerably degraded yet he attends a Grammar but it seems to me that he feels the need to be 'Black' (as it were) and he dresses in the 'street' fashion and speaks in such a manner.

Does this culture not degrade the image of young black people?

(Seriously, just hop on a London bus shortly after school closing times and you'll see...)
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Init doe, you get me?
Reply 2
Are you dizzy fam?
Original post by Politricks
Init doe, you get me?

Original post by hamijack
Are you dizzy fam?

Yes, very mature. The slang-speak is so low that it is indeed a degrading and defacing of the English language.
Yaawwwnnnn. Here we go....
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Yes, very mature. The slang-speak is so low that it is indeed a degrading and defacing of the English language.

I wouldn't say it's just Black people who talk in this sort of slang, I've also noticed ever increasing numbers of White and Asian youths talking in this way.
No long ting man, say nothing brah :lol:
Original post by DontJudge
Do you find anything wrong with it? :eyeball:

What's right about it?
Init doe, you get me?

Haven't heard anyone say 'you get me' in about 7 years :lol:
Original post by SleepySheep
Haven't heard anyone say 'you get me' in about 7 years :lol:

It's become the norm in my school fairly recently, slang in London is always evolving, do you remember the word "wastegash"? :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
x

I'm black and I don't speak like this, I think you'll see its just certain people who do, regardless of race, some people even put that 'black talk(CRINGE to your reference)' on with their friends. Don't generalise, please.
Reply 11
What's right about it?

Tell me whats wrong about it.
There is nothing.
A lot of people just give 'talking in slang' a bad name, only because that is what the societies unwritten rules tell them to do.
Is it really as bad as people are making it out to be?
Or is it because, they choose to be 'different', for the majority of society who which choose to conform.
I reckon people need to stop focusing on trivial matter like these which have no effect on the crime rate.

ya get meh? :gangster:
It's become the norm in my school fairly recently, slang in London is always evolving, do you remember the word "wastegash"? :biggrin:

You've made an enemy today my friend :nothing:
Reply 13
@ OP,

You gotta be careful hear.

I think a clever person, knows when to use the "London Slang" ie at 3.30pm on the bus after school.

Vs Speaking formally for a job interview.

All of it is really about being able to relate "on a level" with all kinds of people...

Although I know "what you are saying" (this is london slang). The problem is more a lack of education...
Reply 14
Man I ****ing hate people like you, you're so ****ing naive and ignorant which is especially ironic considering you're complain about ignorance.

If you're referring to having a inner-London accent, in case you didn't know every regional place has their own accents? If you're referring to inner-London slang again in case you didn't know, every social groups have their own slang. I bet you wouldn't be able to understand half of the **** old white dudes say at the gentleman club. Why? Because it's slang and slang isn't anything unique to black youths, even the military has it's own slang. Go study some sociolinguistics before spouting things you don't have a clue about. There's no such thing as butchering the English Language, in case you haven't noticed the English Language has always been fluid and constantly changing.

Moving on, again there's a field called ethnomusicology, how about you study it a little? Every social groups have had their own set of music. This sets of musics don't impact their intelligence or anything, after the music you like isn't your choice, it either clicks or it doesn't. Every social group have their own type of music and being brought up in such a environment effect their music.

ed-lover-come-on-son.jpg
youdumbblud?!

Yeah I agree with you OP. It sounds totally ridiculous but there you go.
Original post by Sisu
Man I ****ing hate people like you, you're so ****ing naive and ignorant which is especially ironic considering you're complain about ignorance.

If you're referring to having a inner-London accent, in case you didn't know every regional place has their own accents? If you're referring to inner-London slang again in case you didn't know, every social groups have their own slang. I bet you wouldn't be able to understand half of the **** old white dudes say at the gentleman club. Why? Because it's slang and slang isn't anything unique to black youths, even the military has it's own slang. Go study some sociolinguistics before spouting things you don't have a clue about. There's no such thing as butchering the English Language, in case you haven't noticed the English Language has always been fluid and constantly changing.

Moving on, again there's a field called ethnomusicology, how about you study it a little? Every social groups have had their own set of music. This sets of musics don't impact their intelligence or anything, after the music you like isn't your choice, it either clicks or it doesn't. Every social group have their own type of music and being brought up in such a environment effect their music.

ed-lover-come-on-son.jpg

I think OP is well aware that most areas and social groups/age groups have their own versions of slang. It's just that the specific one he is referring to sounds like a pack of chimpanzees in London Zoo.
I don't care. People have never spoken uniformly the same across London.

I am sure 20-30 years ago, people were also complaining the vernacular and accent of the East London Working Class.

Having said that, that is a different issue to Grime Music and materialist culture which is a topic that has been done to death.
Original post by DontJudge
Tell me whats wrong about it.
There is nothing.
A lot of people just give 'talking in slang' a bad name, only because that is what the societies unwritten rules tell them to do.
Is it really as bad as people are making it out to be?
Or is it because, they choose to be 'different', for the majority of society who which choose to conform.
I reckon people need to stop focusing on trivial matter like these which have no effect on the crime rate.

ya get meh? :gangster:

The reason people who use excessive amounts of slang in every sentence get a bad name is because they're, let's be frank, not speaking English properly, despite their ability to. People who use excessive amounts of slang slowly become used to it and use it in everyday situations, this makes communication more difficult for people who aren't familiar with their slang.
Reply 19

Latest

Trending

Trending