The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

London 'Blackspeak' and 'Black' Grime/Rap Music

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
its called ebonics.
Reply 21
I live in North London and half the people speaking in slang aren't even black. Anything perceived as "bad culture" by whites just HAS to be a black thing. It's not even bad culture, there's nothing wrong with slang.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by KimKallstrom
I think OP is well aware that most areas and social groups/age groups have their own versions of slang. It's just that the specific one he is referring to sounds like a pack of chimpanzees in London Zoo.

But, it doesn't to me and many others. The way Brummies or Geordie sound ridiculous yet I can recognize my personal opinions are irrelevant to the legitimacy of their accents/slangs. His basically insulting a helluva lot of Jamaicans considering how many slang words come from them. I hate standard English/Queen's English supremacist.
Original post by Politricks
The reason people who use excessive amounts of slang in every sentence get a bad name is because they're, let's be frank, not speaking English properly, despite their ability to. People who use excessive amounts of slang slowly become used to it and use it in everyday situations, this makes communication more difficult for people who aren't familiar with their slang.

So if you use lots of slang...you forget how to formally use the English language?
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Who here detests the stereotypical London 'Blackspeak', that stereotypical accent that pervades many black boys and girls in London from about ten years old to their early twenties?

Of course I generalise here, but this irritating accent has now become a signature label for young black people - one can simply hop on a bus at 3.30pm in an area with a large black population and see the groups of young black kids speaking in this low manner with all sorts of slangs and many even playing all of this 'cool' Grime music (mostly dotted with Black 'artists'). (If you can't do this experiment, just watch something like 'My Murder' on BBC 3 or Adulthood/Kidulthood.)

And the Grime/Rap music (British) is also part of this debilitating culture. It further fuels a materialist culture and turns the young peoples' brains into mush. I have a cousin who is being slowly degraded to this low place in life; squandering his money on Nike trainers and his accent has considerably degraded yet he attends a Grammar but it seems to me that he feels the need to be 'Black' (as it were) and he dresses in the 'street' fashion and speaks in such a manner.

Does this culture not degrade the image of young black people?

(Seriously, just hop on a London bus shortly after school closing times and you'll see...)

This isn't a black thing it's London youth culture which includes all skin colours, Asian skin tones even white if you watch kidulthood Jay is white!? so get your facts right mate.
Original post by DorianGrayism
So if you use lots of slang...you forget how to formally use the English language?

No, you just become used to using slang so much that you might eventually start to use it with people who don't know what the hell you're talking about without you actually thinking.
Reply 26
The reason people who use excessive amounts of slang in every sentence get a bad name is because they're, let's be frank, not speaking English properly, despite their ability to. People who use excessive amounts of slang slowly become used to it and use it in everyday situations, this makes communication more difficult for people who aren't familiar with their slang.

Well you can't say, it’s 'not speaking English properly'. When the language English itself has been through many many many transitions. From Icelandic English, to Anglo-Saxon etc. And with the influence of many countries i.e. France, India, German, Sweden etc. That is how I just see it now. :smile: Certain immigrants come and manipulate the language, and add in some new terminology. England is a developing country, there is bound to be change, the only problem are the people within it, who find 'change' difficult to adjust to, and think 'change' is bad.

Nope I disagree with you there, I know from the people around me, which are able to put their 'educational face' on and off, whenever they want to. Even me, when I get an important phone call, I automatically, with no intention, put my 'phone voice' on. :tongue:
I think it’s very important to adjust yourself, to the pragmatics of situations. Everyone does this i.e. when talking to a child you’d talk using more simple vocabulary.
So stop being so worried that in an interview you might be like ‘I want the job init’ :cool:
You’re not! You’re changing yourself to conform to the rest of the society. Even though it’s something I don’t particular find plausible, I do somewhat see it as the best option to follow, as you can get farther in life by following the norm.
Reply 27
No, you just become used to using slang so much that you might eventually start to use it with people who don't know what the hell you're talking about without you actually thinking.

Then you simply correct yourself, the same way if you learn another language and use it so often you may use a foreign phrase. Doesn't mean you shouldn't learn a second language.
Reply 28
Its inner city London culture amongst many youths, not 'black speak'. Its very ignorant of you to recognise it as such.
As opposed to the cockney accent?

Unfortunately not everyone in the uk speaks queens english, infact in comparison very few do. Most people speak local slang, whether it be cockney "black" slang (can't see how it's black if white and asians speak like this), geordie, glaswegian or manc. I don't see it as degreading just like I don't see any other slang accent in the uk as degrading. Your false sense of hierachy is embarrassing.
(edited 12 years ago)
I wouldn't say it's just Black people who talk in this sort of slang, I've also noticed ever increasing numbers of White and Asian youths talking in this way.

Yes, they're the copies...
Original post by sexbo
I live in North London and half the people speaking in slang aren't even black. Anything perceived as "bad culture" by whites just HAS to be a black thing. It's not even bad culture, there's nothing wrong with slang.

This^^^
Original post by DontJudge
Well you can't say, it’s 'not speaking English properly'. When the language English itself has been through many many many transitions. From Icelandic English, to Anglo-Saxon etc. And with the influence of many countries i.e. France, India, German, Sweden etc. That is how I just see it now. :smile: Certain immigrants come and manipulate the language, and add in some new terminology. England is a developing country, there is bound to be change, the only problem are the people within it, who find 'change' difficult to adjust to, and think 'change' is bad.

Nope I disagree with you there, I know from the people around me, which are able to put their 'educational face' on and off, whenever they want to. Even me, when I get an important phone call, I automatically, with no intention, put my 'phone voice' on. :tongue:
I think it’s very important to adjust yourself, to the pragmatics of situations. Everyone does this i.e. when talking to a child you’d talk using more simple vocabulary.
So stop being so worried that in an interview you might be like ‘I want the job init’ :cool:
You’re not! You’re changing yourself to conform to the rest of the society. Even though it’s something I don’t particular find plausible, I do somewhat see it as the best option to follow, as you can get farther in life by following the norm.

England is a developed country, not a developing country, I think what you're trying to say is that it's inevitable that the English language is going to change over the years as a result of immigration and a change in culture...the day when we hear Prime Ministers say "innit" and find the word "gyaldem" in the Oxford Dictionary :lol:

Nobody's enforcing how one speaks, but those who talk in slang are frowned upon by people who don't understand what they're talking about, also it doesn't give a good impression of somebody, as slang is usually associated with street gangsters and troublesome youth.

However, I do occasionally talk in slang with friends, but I understand why people would frown upon me and my friends for doing so, and I accept that, and I share their concerns despite doing it myself.

Well, everybody conforms to something, people who talk in slang conform to the characteristics of their peers, likewise with people who talk formally, they conform with the rest of society.
Reply 33
Yo fam u best be chillin'. U be thinkin' u a don? Dont get twisted yeah, dis be a big man ting for realz....

See what I did there? It's called adapting your language, given the social situation/circumstance. Im black myself, and am perfectly able to string a standard sentence together and change my linguistics. OP don't be a douche :smile: I actually find the ever evolving "english dialect" to be quite interesting. ( Also I don't know why your calling it "Blackspeak". :/ The way I see it some Asians, Whites, Orientals etc...are simply beggin' in terms of "acting black"). If you hate it so much, ignore it. No one really cares about what you think. Do you speak on behalf of London? This "malignant" change in the English language is your view only- and perhaps some other narrow minded biggots. Try to get your facts right and do wider research before putting together a crappy biased argument.

Yours Sincerely

A black girl whose still in secondary education and has full experience with this so called "Blackspeak" :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Tu-tuuus naa, you LOT lost the plot.

So leaveeee it yeaaaah.

I'm out G'z.

Say narda:colone:
Original post by SleepySheep
Haven't heard anyone say 'you get me' in about 7 years :lol:

that's because majority of people now say alie
Original post by rawrr_charlotte
that's because majority of people now say alie

I know :tongue: I once heard someone pronounce it 'al-ee' and I almost died.
Reply 37
Original post by ebam_uk
@ OP,

You gotta be careful hear.

I think a clever person, knows when to use the "London Slang" ie at 3.30pm on the bus after school.

Vs Speaking formally for a job interview.

All of it is really about being able to relate "on a level" with all kinds of people...

Although I know "what you are saying" (this is london slang). The problem is more a lack of education...

Whut?
You can not speak or act a colour.
'blackspeak' this is not possible.
Reply 39
Bruv, I hope you don't bump in with Tempa-T.

It'll be a NEXT HYPE.

Latest

Trending

Trending