The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
I don't think either of you should worry about that too much. People have gotten in with far worse grades than that :P
Reply 621
Original post by PeteyB26
Hi guys, quick question about GCSE's. I've heard Oxford place a lot more emphasis on GCSE profile than other universities. I was wondering how much of a difference it makes having an extra 4 or 5 A*'s?
I got 6A*'s at GCSE and whilst I know they're good, they don't look so amazing next to someone with 12 or 13A*'s. Is this going to make that massive a difference when comparing two candidates?

If it's any consolation, I'll be applying to Cambridge this year with only 3A*s, the rest As and 1B, purely on the fact that I know I've improved and will achieve higher in my AS results (i hope anyway! haha). Ox and Cam do have different focuses on what they look at academically, but seriously you're fine to apply with the grades you have. :smile:
Original post by Kevin Wu
I stand corrected!

I guess I'm going to either pick between Geography and PPE.

Thanks a lot!

I'd go for Geography. You've got a much higher chance of getting an interview (92%), whereas in PPE only 45% get interviews. PPE you need to a good TSA score and GCSEs whereas Geography has no admissions test.

At the end of the day it needs to be the one which you're most interested in and have an excellent knowledge about. Good luck!

You may wish to read this too: http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/admissions-feedback-2011/geography
Reply 623
Wow. I was considering applying this year if I got straight A's at (Scottish) higher but my standard grades are bloody naff compared to 13A* at GCSE. Would they even consider me with (equivalent because some of them are standard grade, some intermediate) AAAAAABBB. This is baring in mind there is no A* and we only sit eight... Can they overlook that if I get straight A's this year and next?

Also, am I right in saying that Oxford aren't that concerned with extra-curricular stuff unless it's pretty relavent?
Original post by ..lauren

Also, am I right in saying that Oxford aren't that concerned with extra-curricular stuff unless it's pretty relavent?

(not answering first part of your post because I don't have a clue about scottish qualifications), but this is correct. Medicine is slightly different though.
Reply 625
Original post by medbh4805
(not answering first part of your post because I don't have a clue about scottish qualifications), but this is correct. Medicine is slightly different though.

Thank you :smile: Yea, I think that's the same everywhere for medecine.
Do you think I am risking my chances of getting into Oxford by applying for English and History? - Should I just choose one?
Reply 627
Original post by emilyjcastles
Do you think I am risking my chances of getting into Oxford by applying for English and History? - Should I just choose one?

Going on 2011 admissions, statistically you have a lower chance of getting in for HEng (13 places - 15.1% success rate) then for either of the straight courses (English 220 places 19.1% success rate, History 226 places 23.7% success rate) ...

BUT

be very careful about playing the numbers game.

If you really feel HEng is the course for you, then this will show through. Those 13 places have to be filled by someone, and it could be you.

Would you be happy studying just English for 3 years? Would you be happy studying just History?

Obviously it's harder to know what to do with joint honours courses like this - it's not like you're trying to pick between E&M and PPE as in that case you really should be able to work out where your interests lie.

You've still got time to work this out. October 15th is a long way away. Plenty of people have a change of heart at this stage. So you may find once AS levels are over and you have a clearer mind, you'll be able to decide.

Have a think about what drew you towards HEng in the first place as well.

(as an aside I have also heard/know of people who applied for a joint honours course, but received an offer for a single honours)
I am just a bit worried about my gcse grades - they are not too great and if i have so little chance then they may focus on those even more so? - I dont know - I'm predicted 3 A* at A Level and have got lots of different attributes behind me but I just don't know! Thank you for help though :smile:

Original post by Poppyxx
Going on 2011 admissions, statistically you have a lower chance of getting in for HEng (13 places - 15.1% success rate) then for either of the straight courses (English 220 places 19.1% success rate, History 226 places 23.7% success rate) ...

BUT

be very careful about playing the numbers game.

If you really feel HEng is the course for you, then this will show through. Those 13 places have to be filled by someone, and it could be you.

Would you be happy studying just English for 3 years? Would you be happy studying just History?

Obviously it's harder to know what to do with joint honours courses like this - it's not like you're trying to pick between E&M and PPE as in that case you really should be able to work out where your interests lie.

You've still got time to work this out. October 15th is a long way away. Plenty of people have a change of heart at this stage. So you may find once AS levels are over and you have a clearer mind, you'll be able to decide.

Have a think about what drew you towards HEng in the first place as well.

(as an aside I have also heard/know of people who applied for a joint honours course, but received an offer for a single honours)
Reply 629
Hey, I'm thinking of applying in 2013 :smile:
I have a few questions...
1) Are my GCSE grades good enough? (9A's 3B's and a D)
2) Can anyone give me some tips for things I could do to benefit my application( I'll be applying for law, I have some work experience with a barrister arranged).
3) And am I at a disadvantage because I am from a state school and live in East London?
Reply 630
Original post by TempleQC
2) Can anyone give me some tips for things I could do to benefit my application( I'll be applying for law, I have some work experience with a barrister arranged).
3) And am I at a disadvantage because I am from a state school and live in East London?

1) They are below average - but there's no reason you shouldn't apply. Unless the D is in English/Maths. I believe that they will look at them in context with your school.

2) What A Levels are you doing? Tips to benefit your application... Get the highest marks you can in your AS Levels and make sure you have AAA predicted for A2 as minimum. Don't forget that the LNAT plays an important role

3) No.
Original post by TempleQC

1) They are probably a bit below the average, because most applicants have a few A*s in there, but not that much. (It depends a bit on what the D was in.) Oxford will contextualise your grades too against your school's performance.
2) Read around the subject and keep up with current affairs generally. The work experience sounds great :smile:
3) No. Also see above re contextualisation.
Reply 632
can someone plz put my details into the stalking page.

applying for medicine.
open application
gcse 10a*
alevels maths bio chem rs
deferred entry
Reply 633
Original post by Festina lente
1) They are probably a bit below the average, because most applicants have a few A*s in there, but not that much. (It depends a bit on what the D was in.) Oxford will contextualise your grades too against your school's performance.
2) Read around the subject and keep up with current affairs generally. The work experience sounds great :smile:
3) No. Also see above re contextualisation.

I know this isn't adressed to me, but seriously? My (scottish) standard grades were pretty poor as in 3/8 of them i only achieved Bs, but in the context of my school they're actually pretty good.
Original post by yoyo1994
can someone plz put my details into the stalking page.

applying for medicine.
open application
gcse 10a*
alevels maths bio chem rs
deferred entry

done :smile:
Reply 635
I'm thinking about Oxford, but in all fairness I'm constantly in hospital. I've decided to take a year out (instead of deffering for operations etc.
Do you think special consideration may be taken into account regarding extra-c activities?..
Original post by ..lauren
I know this isn't adressed to me, but seriously? My (scottish) standard grades were pretty poor as in 3/8 of them i only achieved Bs, but in the context of my school they're actually pretty good.

Yup seriously. I don't know whether they get the info automatically for Scottish schools, though - ask your referee to mention it to be on the safe side.

Importance of GCSEs varies by subject, anyway - what are you thinking of applying for?
Original post by Grenville
I'd go for Geography. You've got a much higher chance of getting an interview (92%), whereas in PPE only 45% get interviews. PPE you need to a good TSA score and GCSEs whereas Geography has no admissions test.

At the end of the day it needs to be the one which you're most interested in and have an excellent knowledge about. Good luck!

You may wish to read this too: http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/admissions-feedback-2011/geography

according to the oxford website applicants will now have to take the TSA, in addition to written work but its says nothing about that on the TSA oxfrd website :s-smilie:, so maybe the TSA website just hasnt been updated.

essentially OP, it looks like you'll have to take the TSA regardless of which course you pick
Reply 638
Original post by SJC
I'm thinking about Oxford, but in all fairness I'm constantly in hospital. I've decided to take a year out (instead of deffering for operations etc.
Do you think special consideration may be taken into account regarding extra-c activities?..

yes definitely.

(Oxford don't care too much about extra-c anyway... except for like Medicine... they just like to see you can manage time, have a life and personality, and perhaps have picked up some less academic skills - confidence, teamwork, independence. But even then how much they care about that is debatable)
Reply 639
Original post by Festina lente
Yup seriously. I don't know whether they get the info automatically for Scottish schools, though - ask your referee to mention it to be on the safe side.

Importance of GCSEs varies by subject, anyway - what are you thinking of applying for?

Physics, but my highers look to be much better!

Latest

Trending

Trending