The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

hey guys,

I hate to be the one delivering this to you but for anyone still waiting on the final outcome of the Dulverton Scholarship competition (I assume there'll be a couple of people about), I've just received a confirmation that all decisions have been already made (though this is not indicated on their webpage) and this year the Trust will be offering a total of 2 awards (successful candidates have been informed already). What a pity indeed...
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by math1234
hi all,
I will be studying MSc in Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing at Trinity. Is anyone else for the same course?

I am. Haven't got a college offer yet though.

I see you've finally made a choice. A wise one too. :smile:
Original post by firstladynaija
I am. Haven't got a college offer yet though.

I see you've finally made a choice. A wise one too. :smile:

congrats!
What are your choices?
Yeah! thanks mate :smile:
Original post by math1234
congrats!
What are your choices?
Yeah! thanks mate :smile:

Sent you a PM :smile:
Original post by firstladynaija
Sent you a PM :smile:

replied you :smile:
I think love is in the air ^
Does anyone know how long it takes to hear from your college? I received an offer from my department two weeks ago (MSt in Literature and Art) and I was wondering when postgrads typically hear from their colleges.

Also, if I hope to apply for a DPhil, it seems that in order to avoid taking a year off I would have to apply before my Dissertation is complete, nay even before it is well begun. Is this common? For instance, if I apply to the DPhil in the fall of the second year of my MSt program, my Dissertation is not due until the following Fall, but if apply after my Dissertation is submitted and the MSt is complete, then I will have a year off from school.

Anyone know how the timing works for this? Thanks!
Reply 2967
Original post by Mackenzie123
Does anyone know how long it takes to hear from your college? I received an offer from my department two weeks ago (MSt in Literature and Art) and I was wondering when postgrads typically hear from their colleges.

Also, if I hope to apply for a DPhil, it seems that in order to avoid taking a year off I would have to apply before my Dissertation is complete, nay even before it is well begun. Is this common? For instance, if I apply to the DPhil in the fall of the second year of my MSt program, my Dissertation is not due until the following Fall, but if apply after my Dissertation is submitted and the MSt is complete, then I will have a year off from school.

hey ! i got my college offer in ten days ! i dont know if its because i didnt put in a preference or what , but typically the website says 6 to 8 weeks i think !
Original post by ExeterHistStudent
I think love is in the air ^

^ Hahaha :lovedup2:

Yes it's quite normal, and you may be given a conditional offer for the DPhil (for eg a distinction in your MSt). I just discovered your message btw and have sent a PM. :smile:
Original post by cyberpoet
Yes it's quite normal, and you may be given a conditional offer for the DPhil (for eg a distinction in your MSt). I just discovered your message btw and have sent a PM. :smile:

Thank you! I will reply to your PM when I am on my computer. :smile:

Does anyone know how much funding they like you to show if you applied for a part time program? I will be traveling to Oxford from the US 2x a year for a week each. (Really it works out to be 4x in the first year...Oct, Feb, July, Oct).
Reply 2971
I might be wrong but, isn't there a college specifically for part time students (that also has full-time ones)? Not that all of them must go there, but that it's specifically tailored for the needs..Don't remember the name at the moment, but I do think I read about it...
Any other Dphil English folks apply to Magdalen? Heard anything?
Original post by misha j.
I might be wrong but, isn't there a college specifically for part time students (that also has full-time ones)? Not that all of them must go there, but that it's specifically tailored for the needs..Don't remember the name at the moment, but I do think I read about it...

Kellog?
Reply 2974

Does anyone know how much funding they like you to show if you applied for a part time program? I will be traveling to Oxford from the US 2x a year for a week each. (Really it works out to be 4x in the first year...Oct, Feb, July, Oct).

I seem to remember it as being similar to full time courses ie: that you can cover university and college fees and living costs for the duration of your course. In my case I was also working full time and the college (Kellogg) accepted confirmation of employment as my proof of funding. If you end up at Kellogg, they used to allow part time students to pay college fees termly instead of yearly up front - not sure if that still applies or if any other colleges do that.
Reply 2975
Hello All,

I am just looking to see if there are other students who will be engaging in graduate studies at Oxford in October. It might be nice to establish a network in advance to ease our upcoming adjustment and possibly get some help or advice.

So, if you are doing grad studies now or in the fall drop in a line.

Name: Jordan.
Studies: DPhil.

Please no spam!
Reply 2976
Original post by cyberpoet
Kellog?

that's the one! :fluffy:
any one who had applied by the March 9 deadline and is still awaiting results/replies?

Yes, you will need to apply for the DPhil while still studying the MSt. It's the same for all masters courses really. This can be difficult as you may still be finalising your masters' thesis while writing a DPhil thesis proposal, but it can also help. You may get straight through without a minimum condition, but you would of course need to apply for funding.
Original post by k.i.ivanov
hey guys,

I hate to be the one delivering this to you but for anyone still waiting on the final outcome of the Dulverton Scholarship competition (I assume there'll be a couple of people about), I've just received a confirmation that all decisions have been already made (though this is not indicated on their webpage) and this year the Trust will be offering a total of 2 awards (successful candidates have been informed already). What a pity indeed...

I was really hoping for this one...:frown::s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending