The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pinnerite
I know exactly how you feel. 10 days ago I had the chance for some Olympics athletics tickets and in my excitement at getting some for the penultimate day - - relay finals etc. I asked for 2 tickets instead of the 3 I intended - I had just purchased them when my daughter rang to say 'you did remember to get a ticket for me didn't you. (She could not apply cos she got some tickets in the first round). Felt really bad ALL weekend especially as she had opening and closing para tickets for us - but I have decided to give her my ticket as that is the only way I will feel better!

I tried for some para opening as well this morning dead at 11am - got through to the recognising letters bit but could not read so asked for another set and then too late the tickets were gone :frown:. Then tried for some £50 ones but they had gone too although both price levels still showing up.

So console yourself that you were VERY lucky to get the £20.12 tickets and if you are performing it is by no means certain that you would be allowed to join the stands - i asked the very same question and was told it was unlikely. Just realised why the lowest tickets were priced at £20.12 - d'oh!

I'm sorry you had a prolem too Pinnerite.

Do you know what. My reply to this is going to be very quick and simple. TSR Olympic and Paralympic Family, you are absolutely brilliant! I just knew if I posted my little problem on here, you would understand, some of you would comment and make me feel so much better and put a smile back on my face :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 8601
Original post by ginger-snap
I'd recommend wearing sunscreen. Even though it was fairly overcast, when you're out in it for 6 hours, the sun still trickles through the clouds. I've got red sunburnt shoulders/face/neck today.

Quite right, I spent most of the day being frozen, yet was a little red when I got home!

Original post by Concord
having seem some of the props and heard some of the things being setup, I'm suddenly worried it's all going to be terribly naff!

I'm thinking the complete opposite - the more I see the more impressive I think it's all going to be.

Was there for 44 yesterday. Impeccable organisation. Hope the ground in Beirut is improved next week as the dust on the concrete was a nightmare blowing around and getting into people's eyes.

The drive was a breeze (45 mins compared with over 2 hours on the train) and met some really interesting people. It's a massive time commitment, but I'm getting so much back from this, even though the dancers who were being processed when we arrived made me realise my place in the talent pecking order!
Reply 8602
Sorry to hear there's been troubles getting Paralympic tickets. Enjoy telling your family that you got them tickets RedThunder.

I know what you mean about the time pressure. Last week I got 4 of something when I only needed 3 just because I wasn't thinking, luckily my Mum is able to use the extra one. Today I managed to get an Equestrian ticket and an Olympic Park pass. Annoyingly though when I first went through only one was available so after getting that I tried again for the park pass, surprisingly managed it but got charged another £6 for delivery. That's four different lots of £6 delivery charges they are getting off me now. I don't really mind though because it's all going to a good cause.
Original post by 42RAFIKI
I know what you mean about the time pressure. Last week I got 4 of something when I only needed 3 just because I wasn't thinking, luckily my Mum is able to use the extra one. Today I managed to get an Equestrian ticket and an Olympic Park pass. Annoyingly though when I first went through only one was available so after getting that I tried again for the park pass, surprisingly managed it but got charged another £6 for delivery. That's four different lots of £6 delivery charges they are getting off me now. I don't really mind though because it's all going to a good cause.

I managed to get 1 ticket for the last session of track cycling today, woudl have liked 2 but not to be, even at the higher price. I saw on the bottom of my e-mail that it said that if it was a top up ticket to go with previous purchases they may not charge you the £6 in the end, always a hope there as they have 3 lots of mine, and i am going to have a look on wed for olympic ones
Reply 8604
Yeah I saw that too but there was also a line that said anything purchased before 30th April is already in the process of being dispatched so will definitely be sent separately from resale tickets. I'll get a minimum of 4 delivery charges and a max of 5-6 depending on how it all works and if I can get any more tickets in the next phase.

As I said above I'm not truly bothered, it's a drop in the ocean compared to my total spend and it's all definitely worth it for me. I can see how some peeps would get annoyed though because the charge is more than some Paralympic tickets.
Original post by AlecSp
Quite right, I spent most of the day being frozen, yet was a little red when I got home!

I'm thinking the complete opposite - the more I see the more impressive I think it's all going to be.

Was there for 44 yesterday. Impeccable organisation. Hope the ground in Beirut is improved next week as the dust on the concrete was a nightmare blowing around and getting into people's eyes.

The drive was a breeze (45 mins compared with over 2 hours on the train) and met some really interesting people. It's a massive time commitment, but I'm getting so much back from this, even though the dancers who were being processed when we arrived made me realise my place in the talent pecking order!

Saw people from another section for the first time yesterday afternoon - lots of 44-ers in industrial boilersuits - they did look quite different to our dancing group - mostly teenage girls in sports/dancewear. However, we got talking to a 44-er and the scale of the job you've been tasked with doing is quite formidable so I wouldn't downplay your 'talent' - even if it lies in a different realm.
Reply 8606
Original post by abs0n
Bumbag = purchased! Was also a lovely excuse to get a new purse that I could fit inside :colondollar:

So then fellow 51Aers - tomorrow is our day! Looking forward to meeting you all and finally finding out what we'll be doing. Come and say hello if you spot me: I'm an average height 19 year old, dark blonde hair and with thick-rimmed black glasses :shakehand:

Here we go!

yes here we go too can't wait to start the drumming may need to bring my ear plugs as 250 drummers will be loud.
Reply 8607
Original post by Ropey1
Hi Lara,
I think I spoke with you in the queue - if you are 47c with friend who knows Gafieira, I am the 47a-er. We enjoyed the audition although my legs are a bit sore today! How did you find it?

R

Hey Ropey1! I really enjoyed that audition! It didn't even feel like an audition to tell you the truth! Everyone was so relaxed, weren't they?
Can you imagine being in both opening AND closing ceremony?! Hahaha! Dancing heaven! :badger::badger::badger:
Reply 8608
Original post by Drumbeat
yes here we go too can't wait to start the drumming may need to bring my ear plugs as 250 drummers will be loud.

There are 250 drummers?!?!! wow
Reply 8609
Original post by twilightz
No problemo! :smile: we'll have time to talk more soon, hopefully when the whole segment gets to rehearse. Hope you had a good time at the audition though :smile:

I had a great time at the audition! :biggrin:
What segment are you in twilightz? Are you doing the Rio hand-over too?
I cracked up re the bumbags. I def wouldn't get a man in rhythm with one of those, he'll be worried I'm stuck back in 1992.
Original post by Mandy_Panda
I cracked up re the bumbags. I def wouldn't get a man in rhythm with one of those, he'll be worried I'm stuck back in 1992.

Mandy in what WE were wearing any semblance of fashion sense goes out of the window! The 49ers will know what I mean so be grateful you are not in our group- not the best man-catching attire for your man of rhythm!:biggrin:There was me thinking I would wear a succession of pretty t-shirts to rehearsals....

Practicality rules - yay! With the 'stadium' so vast there is no popping back for sunscreen/sunglasses:cool:/keeping check on valuables so I think bumbags will catch on fast. You could always play the helpless female ticket though and ask a fit man to look after some things for you and make him feel needed/important/-protective:redface: Choose your subject wisely...
So, out of curiosity, is it just us 51-Aers with rehearsals tomorrow night, or is anyone else there? I can't believe it's less than 24 hours away now, I'm not sure how I am going to concentrate on getting any work done tomorrow!

I know Drumbeat and abs0n are there with me tomorrow night - anyone else?
Original post by EllieAtWHL

GunnerJay who hasn't posted for a while and studiosonic who is an understudy for 51A

Have a great time tomorrow!
Reply 8614
Original post by EllieAtWHL
So, out of curiosity, is it just us 51-Aers with rehearsals tomorrow night, or is anyone else there? I can't believe it's less than 24 hours away now, I'm not sure how I am going to concentrate on getting any work done tomorrow!

Cant wait for mine on Wednesday! Let me know how it goes tomorrow!! I have my last exam tomorrow and have been finding it extremely hard to revise the last few days. I think that 'Olympics ceremony excitement' should be a mitigating circumstance and should be taken into account when marking my exam...! :biggrin:
Original post by elegat
considering most people on this forum are already on their 4th week of rehearsals

Most? Don't know about that. But those who are rehearsing definitely have stories to tell!

Original post by 42RAFIKI
That's four different lots of £6 delivery charges they are getting off me now. I don't really mind though because it's all going to a good cause.

You'll certainly make Ticketmaster's bookkeepers rather happy. :wink:

Original post by Drumbeat

Aaaah...and I must wait until Friday! smiley_waiting.gif

Still waiting for a reply from John Lewis. And from Tate Modern. And now from a colleague who offered me a sort of mini Steve Boyd role on a most amazing project, though chances for funding are very slim. Pffff...
If any 44ers wish to PM me their number I can look out for you next week! I have wickedgrin and Alec's number. In particular are any of emjay, phawesy, shadwell lad or bogeyman in the 1-140 group?
Original post by Pinnerite
If any 44ers wish to PM me their number I can look out for you next week! I have wickedgrin and Alec's number. In particular are any of emjay, phawesy, shadwell lad or bogeyman in the 1-140 group?

Hi Pinnerite- I'll PM you my number so we can meet up next rehearsal! I'm in 44c :smile:.
Original post by AlecSp

Agreed! The organisation is very impressive. Btw AlecSp...only now did I realise we know each other! Just turn around on Sunday and wave to Speedy :smile: :tongue:
Reply 8619

I have one of these- a SPI belt - http://goo.gl/mY6GP Small Personal Items.

They are a non bounce runners bag- they can easily hold an iPhone/smartphone keys a bank card and a fair bit more- stretchy! They look really small but expand. They even do reflective ones or waterproof ones.

I recommend as they can be worn on the waist or hips. Recommended by serious runners and they really don't bounce! They come in various colours, amazon also sell some or other runners sites. Google for reviews on runners websites too.

Great Athens vid too thankyou! I was thinking of doing a 100 days countdown for our paralympics opening ceremony but maybe it'd be too much to do! Great to see Flakey's number countdown!

I was at London Ambassadors training and they asked us for "something unique about yourself" a guy piped up on the roving mic "Im dancing in the olympics opening ceremony" - thought- hmm bet that wasn't unique! I should have gone and quizzed him! Quite a few Ambassadors wanted to know about dance or being involved in the ceremonies so I gave them the Rio handover details. Ambassadors are a really positive and proactive bunch all 7680 of us! You will see us out at some of the Pods over the Jubilee weekend- bit of a test run.

Very glad that we had some good info about http://www.bigdance2012.com/ so much going on for arts for 2012 in the uk and london over 10k events. We Ambassadors have to know about everything going on! eek!
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest