The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Agree with the SPI bags - I have one from when I used to run regularly. Much less obvious looking than an 80s bumbag. However since mine's a Nike one, I'll have to get a cool 2012 pin to cover over the swoop.

Now - I know that I said I was avoiding interstate signs but this one HAD to be the choice for 66 days to go

207.jpg
Original post by lanza101
I have one of these- a SPI belt - http://goo.gl/mY6GP Small Personal Items.

They are a non bounce runners bag- they can easily hold an iPhone/smartphone keys a bank card and a fair bit more- stretchy! They look really small but expand. They even do reflective ones or waterproof ones.

I!

............... and they come in a very distinctive shade of PINK too (if you/we want to continue with the TSR "pink" theme too) !!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Flakeydom
Agree with the SPI bags - I have one from when I used to run regularly. Much less obvious looking than an 80s bumbag. However since mine's a Nike one, I'll have to get a cool 2012 pin to cover over the swoop.

Now - I know that I said I was avoiding interstate signs but this one HAD to be the choice for 66 days to go

207.jpg

........... and why not !
Original post by lanza101

I was at London Ambassadors training ....................... Ambassadors are a really positive and proactive bunch all 7680 of us! You will see us out at some of the Pods over the Jubilee weekend- bit of a test run.

Very glad that we had some good info about http://www.bigdance2012.com/ so much going on for arts for 2012 in the uk and london over 10k events. We Ambassadors have to know about everything going on! eek!

Well maybe not KNOW the answers but more where to find them if we need them I think might be nearer the mark.

I think a good tactic would be to learn where all the neighbouring LA pods are and direct people accordingly to those if the thing they are not asking you about is not on your own LA patch. By all means if you know the answer yourself give it. That's what I plan on doing anyway, subject to revision at Module 3 if I have any specific direction/other ideas by then of course!

Glad you enjoyed Module 2 btw - some of the people in our session had elder relatives who had taken part in previous Olympics events (which was their offerings as "unique") - I was spoilt for choice about my own uniqueness, one example of which was that I was born a polydactyl in that I had extra fingers and toes (4 in total) all amputated by the time I was a year old though !

I have also met H.M. Queen and other Royals whilst an invited guest at official functions held in Buckingham House and Windsor Castle respectively.
Just had an email "update" from casting. They are advising sunscreen, sunglasses and hats for the 1:1 venue! Plus because of numbers not to arrive early! Bit difficult to time your arrival if you are travelling a distance - and I do not like being late!

They also advise we might be allocated different bib numbers to those we have had since rehearsals started, although this is quite usual apparantly!
Original post by wickedgrin
Just had an email "update" from casting. They are advising sunscreen, sunglasses and hats for the 1:1 venue! Plus because of numbers not to arrive early! Bit difficult to time your arrival if you are travelling a distance - and I do not like being late!

They also advise we might be allocated different bib numbers to those we have had since rehearsals started, although this is quite usual apparantly!

Yes received that - just when we thought we were able to recognise people from bib numbers.... They also recommend that people wear glasses rather than contact lenses because of the dust.

Re the arrival I think we were all anxious not to be late for our 'debut' at 1:1 but looks as if they really don't want us early so I shall aim to get a later train:smile:, as long as 'tube status' shows no problems. In fact on the planning application schedule it says that the rehearsals always actually START one hour after the arrival time:smile:.

Last Sunday, not counting staff, there were 1700 volunteers scheduled to arrive at 9,10 or 2pm. Next Sunday there are scheduled to be more than 3,500 volunteers including children arriving at 9,10,2 or 3 so the logistics are enormous so you can see why they want to minimise overlap as much as possible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8626
Original post by wickedgrin

thanks for the info the 51s are at 1:1 on sat so are we with other groups?
Original post by Drumbeat
thanks for the info the 51s are at 1:1 on sat so are we with other groups?

Drumbeat I assume you are on at 3pm which is when 1000 are due to arrive and I seem to remember there were going to be 1000 drummers? Basically there are two separate arenas at 1:1 and there is another group of about 800 rehearsing in arena A from 2pm, with others of course in the morning. You don't get to see the other arena at all.
Reply 8628
Wow looks like it's going to be a busy weekend there!

I'm going to be there on Sunday from 10am to 9pm. Then from next weekend onwards I'll be there every Sat/Sun
I was eager to be early for my first 1:1 rehearsal, ending up at the shuttle-bus pick-up point by 8:20am for a rehearsal supposed to start at 9am, but needn't have worried, as there was a lot of hanging around waiting for organisers to get sorted and others arrived, so it was about 10am before things properly kicked off.

Definitely agree about taking suncream. I've had sore shoulders all week from the sunburn I got rehearsing on Saturday, and that was a fairly overcast day. Sunglasses recommended as well: face was a bit achy from squinting all day. If you do carry your mobiles etc with you on your person, make sure they are fastened/zipped/buttoned securely: One guy's iphone went flying across the concrete during an exercise, persumably coz he'd just popped it loose in his pocket.

My bib-number was changed when I got there, but I think that was partly coz there'd been a mix-up when I was first allocated it. So yes, bib-number changes can happen.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8630
Original post by Pinnerite
Drumbeat I assume you are on at 3pm which is when 1000 are due to arrive and I seem to remember there were going to be 1000 drummers? Basically there are two separate arenas at 1:1 and there is another group of about 800 rehearsing in arena A from 2pm, with others of course in the morning. You don't get to see the other arena at all.

hi yes we start at 3pm this is where all the drummers come together don't think we are playing though.
Original post by bluang3l
Wow looks like it's going to be a busy weekend there!

I'm going to be there on Sunday from 10am to 9pm. Then from next weekend onwards I'll be there every Sat/Sun

Looks like you have the same schedule as us so hope to be able to spot you this time!
There are severe delays at the mo on the District and Hammersmith and City lines because of signal failure at Bow Road. Good job it was not Sunday... LT has assured LOCOG that there are no planned suspensions on the district line over the rehearsal period but hopefully there will not be too many unplanned instances like this. :train2::train2::train2:
(edited 11 years ago)
Daughter at 3 Mills tonight. She takes main line into Stratford and then gets the 106 bus - short journey on that one.

EG
Reply 8634
Have the Para-olympic rehearsals started yet? Just wondering...
So it seems a fair few of us will be there Saturday. 47 c and d, are you there at 2? Is there only 47 a, b, c and d? That would make sense if c and d mirror a and b. Drummers, do you know if you are performing in our section?
Reply 8636
Original post by Mandy_Panda
So it seems a fair few of us will be there Saturday. 47 c and d, are you there at 2? Is there only 47 a, b, c and d? That would make sense if c and d mirror a and b. Drummers, do you know if you are performing in our section?

I'm a drummer and we are there on Saturday at 3. My first rehearsal is tomorrow so I guess I'll find out more then. The first group (51 A) are rehearsing now!! So excited now!!! Finished Uni for the summer (pretty much...) so I can now focus on this :biggrin: Woooooooooo! Cant wait for tomorrow:bigsmile:
Original post by Mandy_Panda

It looks from the schedule that the drummers will be performing in Arena B at '3'pm and all 47 (800) will be performing in Arena A at '2', so separate rehearsals.
Rehearsing tomorrow too, becuase of where i have to travel from means i won't get home till midnight after =[ Also i'm up from 7am tomorrrow because i'm working tomorrow before i have to head off to rehearsals... =| Urgh long Long day!!!
Original post by Pinnerite

Blimey, I'm almost tempted to drive down there as this all sounds very intriguing.....Do you reckon the organisers factored in the sound-proofing element as hate to live nearby with 1000 drummers drumming.

Latest