The Student Room Group

Will Eminem be remembered as a Music great?

I just wanted your opinions on this.

We have Music Greats now, people we give respect to, even if we don't like their Music. These people who re-invented, had no option but to stand out, carve their own path and style. People like Jimi Hendrix, different style, an innovator.
I'm sure I don't have to list the most respected Musicians and bands. People like John Lennon, The Beatles, Hendrix etc

I know Rap Music is looked down on, and some of it I'd agree is garbage. People like Pitbull & Flo rida are considered 'rappers' which is ridiculous.

Eminem was a game changer, like him or not. As a white rapper in a mainly black music culture. He was someone that took a craft, carved his own style and stood out. He's had controversial moments, bad songs and crazy songs, like every artist.

Songs like 'Till I Collapse' were different from the normal, it's like an anthem.

BUT will he ever be remembered in the same way other Artists have been?
Or is there too much of a negative public opinion towards rappers?

Scroll to see replies

Outside of the rap community? Doubt it. Look at Rakim who had much more impact on Rap than Eminem yet hardly known unless you're one of those people who love to bust a nut over old school rap. He'll be irrelevant as long as he dies post-retirement. Tupac will be bigger but that's because he was shot and died. But, even Tupac won't be on the same level as Queen, The Beatles, Hendrix etc because as you say rap isn't exactly the most favorite genre. Also, how is Flo Rida and Pitbull being conisdered rappers ridiculous? Doing something outside of the rape genre doesn't stop you being a rapper. Also, rapper isn't some sort of scared label, there are millions of irrelevant unknown rappers. It's a label to describe people who perform a certain genre. Nothing more, nothing less.
I think he has established himself as a icon in the rap scene, but I don't think he will be as acclaimed as other musicians. And considering that the modern rap scene is just a shadow of its former glory, it's difficult to tell whether the rap genre in general will be a respected musical genre.

Britney Spears is quite similar too. Some people say that she was (at her peak) one of the greatest pop acts of all time. She ushered in the MTV era and has become an influence to many singers. But she isn't regarded as a music great by a lot of people and her status suffered a lot in the last few years (lip syncing/personal issues etc)

I guess the only way to tell with Eminem and Britney is with age. As sad as it is, some will only be recognised for their musical abilities after death, just look at Amy Winehouse.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
If Eminem was shot and died in 2002 then yes, he would be similar to the way Kurt Cobain is looked upon. However, the influence he has now is no where what it was 1999-2003. Encore, Relapse and Recovery are not on the same level as SSLP, MMLP, The Eminem Show or the 8 Mile tracks. This is obviously understandable, considering the guy is older and is off drugs etc. He is the greatest rapper ever IMO, but outside of the hip-hop industry I doubt he will be remembered as a true great.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Doing something outside of the rape genre doesn't stop you being a rapper.

"rape genre" O_o
Reply 5
The awkward moment when Eminem raps faster than my Internet connection
Reply 6
Yeah... But there's a lot more bands these days and everything is imo split down more thoroughly into tiny little genres with devotees listening exclusively to what they know they like. He had a bit of crossover exposure with some singles but in the main if you're not a rap listener you won't hear much rap. Whereas the beatles were everywhere in their heyday.
Tl: the markets changed and you can't compare with the mass market that used to exist.
He might get the odd mention 10-20 years from now. But longer than that and he'll be forgotten.
Reply 8
Im an eminem fan but to be put into the same level as the legends of past i think he has been too controversial with his music and it will only be a few songs that are remembered not him.
Reply 9
Music? No, as he doesn't make great music.

Rap? Quite possibly. When he isn't taking the piss, he writes some amazing lyrics.
Reply 10
Original post by HighwayUnicorn

I guess the only way to tell with Eminem and Britney is with age. As sad as it is, some will only be recognised for their musical abilities after death, just look at Amy Winehouse.

Errr....what?

Amy won 5 Grammys when she was alive and got plenty of acclaim, as has MM and Britney.
Reply 11
The white Tupac.

Edit - Rather than just negging me, explain to me what makes Tupac so much better than Eminem. Both their lyrics and flow will go down in history. Is it because Tupac passed on?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Raj K
The awkward moment when Eminem raps faster than my Internet connection

I think you mean Busta Rhymes (eg.).

There's no doubt Eminem has had a big impact on the Rap genre, but as others have mentioned you've got people like Rakim and Soul Sonic Force who haven't had anywhere near the exposure and as such aren't labelled as 'legends'.
Reply 13
Outside of the rap community? Doubt it. Look at Rakim who had much more impact on Rap than Eminem yet hardly known unless you're one of those people who love to bust a nut over old school rap. He'll be irrelevant as long as he dies post-retirement. Tupac will be bigger but that's because he was shot and died. But, even Tupac won't be on the same level as Queen, The Beatles, Hendrix etc because as you say rap isn't exactly the most favorite genre. Also, how is Flo Rida and Pitbull being conisdered rappers ridiculous? Doing something outside of the rape genre doesn't stop you being a rapper. Also, rapper isn't some sort of scared label, there are millions of irrelevant unknown rappers. It's a label to describe people who perform a certain genre. Nothing more, nothing less.

How did Rakim have much more of an impact?

Yes Eminem will be remembered for being a great.
Reply 14
Original post by Hylean

Rap? Quite possibly. When he isn't taking the piss, he writes some amazing lyrics.

Rap is a form of music...I'm confused.
Reply 15
Original post by Hylean

I used to like rap music a bit; I turned 20+, then I hated it.

I overheard on the radio the other day someone was shouting and screaming of something. Can't bare it. It was hurtful to the ears! - It was Eminem rapping with Rihanna....
Reply 16
Original post by HighwayUnicorn
I think he has established himself as a icon in the rap scene, but I don't think he will be as acclaimed as other musicians. And considering that the modern rap scene is just a shadow of its former glory, it's difficult to tell whether the rap genre in general will be a respected musical genre.

Britney Spears is quite similar too. Some people say that she was (at her peak) one of the greatest pop acts of all time. She ushered in the MTV era and has become an influence to many singers. But she isn't regarded as a music great by a lot of people and her status suffered a lot in the last few years (lip syncing/personal issues etc)

Well Spears was an impact to pop music and I could consider Eminem riding a bit on her success by mocking and ridiculing her during the 90s.

I think all famous musicians have (somewhat extreme) personal issues. They are after all being hounded by the paparazzi 24 hours; I honestly believe no sane person can stand such intrusiveness...
Reply 17
Original post by iSMark
Rap is a form of music...I'm confused.

Not really. Rap does not have to include music of any sort and is dependent solely on the voice of the rapper, who chants or speaks in time to a beat, which doesn't necessarily require an audible beat. It is essentially poetry. Adding music to rap came quite later and rap does not require music. Thus, Eminem is a good rapper, in my opinion, when he's not being "Slim Shady", but in regards to music, I don't really think he's done much.
Original post by iSMark
How did Rakim have much more of an impact?

Yes Eminem will be remembered for being a great.

tX6et.jpg

AxwTQ.jpg
Reply 19
tX6et.jpg

AxwTQ.jpg

Everyone has heard of Eminem. Only a few have heard of Rakim.

Edit: In the rap circle everyone knows him. but if I asked my Mum she wouldn't have a clue, however she knows who Eminem is. That's just an example but I'm saying that your average human has heard of eminem but the average human hasn't heard of Rakim.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest