The Student Room Group

Registered Nurses/Nursing Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1300
I know this is really cheeky but is there anyone at uni who would be willing to give me their Openathens details I desperately need access to journals (one in particular) for my project and my college does not have an account
Original post by Kezkel
I know this is really cheeky but is there anyone at uni who would be willing to give me their Openathens details I desperately need access to journals (one in particular) for my project and my college does not have an account

I'm not really keen to give mine out sorry, but you should be able to get one through the health board you have your placements in, they are usually pretty quick at getting it sorted for you if you phone up and moan at them. If not, if you let me know what you're looking to access I can see if I can get a pdf or send you it somehow?
Reply 1302
That would be amazing thanks 🙂 I don't start my degree until next year but doing an access course at college and really need it for my assignment. The article is:
The role of gender in the clinical presentation of patients with borderline personality disorder
Zlotnick, Caron; Rothschild, Louis; Zimmerman, Mark. Journal of Personality Disorders16.3 (Jun 2002): 277-82.
Original post by Kezkel
That would be amazing thanks 🙂 I don't start my degree until next year but doing an access course at college and really need it for my assignment. The article is:
The role of gender in the clinical presentation of patients with borderline personality disorder
Zlotnick, Caron; Rothschild, Louis; Zimmerman, Mark. Journal of Personality Disorders16.3 (Jun 2002): 277-82.

Found it here, you shouldn't need any login details to access. Just a tip, if you're looking for articles and can't find them for free, put the article title into google (with quotation marks if nothing's coming up) and then add filetype:tongue:df and it will sometimes appear :h:

https://courses.washington.edu/dbt560/genderBPD.pdf
Hello all,

I found this http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/8c4bdf09-567f-41b4-af9c-46d5cf2b7c49 and http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/ea59a182-6f5e-4d26-995b-ae992bdf671d in case anyone is interested it's the debate regarding the E-petition 113491 relating to the NHS Bursary. It is long so be prepared, but it is well worth a watch/listen :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fifstar
Hello all,

I found this http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/8c4bdf09-567f-41b4-af9c-46d5cf2b7c49 and http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/ea59a182-6f5e-4d26-995b-ae992bdf671d in case anyone is interested it's the debate regarding the E-petition 113491 relating to the NHS Bursary. It is long so be prepared, but it is well worth a watch/listen :smile:

I've been watching for about half an hour and I have already wanted to bang my head against the wall several times.
Original post by PaediatricStN
I've been watching for about half an hour and I have already wanted to bang my head against the wall several times.

I know I had to take several breaks, from watching it . My neighbours must have thought I was crazy by the way I was screaming at my laptop.
Hello everyone!!

I'm doing a week in Accident& Emergency and I'm just wondering if any of you has got any advice/insight? I'm quite scared and it's something I'm thinking of doing once I graduate! I'm a 2nd year adult nurse

Original post by coldhell
Hello everyone!!

I'm doing a week in Accident& Emergency and I'm just wondering if any of you has got any advice/insight? I'm quite scared and it's something I'm thinking of doing once I graduate! I'm a 2nd year adult nurse

Observe. Ask lots of questions. And from my experience spend most of your time in resus and minors as that's where you will learn the most!
Wow, feels like ages since I've been on TSR! How is everyone?

My ward remains busy - no let up in summer!
Original post by PaediatricStN
I didn't do an MA/MSc - only the BSc - but I am a qualified children's nurse (6 months in).

Let me know if there's anything I can help with :smile:

Hi :smile:

How very kind, thank you.

Well I'm a little over 5 weeks until I start and then nerves are starting to set in now. I was hoping the PGL would help with funding but alas that is not to be.... Here's my lot enjoy beans and scrambled eggs for a couple of years :smile:

Anyway I digress without even starting 🙈 I have been reading through the thread again on and off for a few days and noting down any top tips and you mentioned a Paeds meds management book but never gave the name... Was wondering if you could remember what that was?

Also any top tips for getting the very most out of the course from the very 1st day..... Being an older student already has me in knots though I'm confident I have much to offer and a whole world to learn!!

Original post by claireestelle
I wouldn't say it was different to what I was expecting but that all the negatives of the job are as bad and I guess sometimes worse than I thought they would be.
I feel like I ve lost a lot of the passion I had, I am really trying to work on it but i struggle to see the positives anymore so have ended up seeing it as shifts I have to do to get where I want to be, I get anxious having to leave home for shifts some days and I never thought I d feel like this :/

Hello there

Having spent the last few days rereading this thread I was just wondering how you had gone on?

Hope you are ok.
Original post by Mrsxmas
Hello there

Having spent the last few days rereading this thread I was just wondering how you had gone on?

Hope you are ok.

I made the decision to leave nursing but I m much happier now.
Original post by claireestelle
I made the decision to leave nursing but I m much happier now.

That much have been a really tough decision to make. I enjoyed reading about your experiences.... Thank you for sharing! Glad to hear you are much happier now :smile:
Original post by Mrsxmas
That much have been a really tough decision to make. I enjoyed reading about your experiences.... Thank you for sharing! Glad to hear you are much happier now :smile:

It was but it was the right one to make, thank you :smile:
Original post by Mrsxmas
Hi :smile:

How very kind, thank you.

Well I'm a little over 5 weeks until I start and then nerves are starting to set in now. I was hoping the PGL would help with funding but alas that is not to be.... Here's my lot enjoy beans and scrambled eggs for a couple of years :smile:

Anyway I digress without even starting 🙈 I have been reading through the thread again on and off for a few days and noting down any top tips and you mentioned a Paeds meds management book but never gave the name... Was wondering if you could remember what that was?

Also any top tips for getting the very most out of the course from the very 1st day..... Being an older student already has me in knots though I'm confident I have much to offer and a whole world to learn!!

The book was called "Medicines Management in Children's Nursing" by Karen Blair. Especially with meds management, but with all books, I'd recommend waiting until you get to uni. Their library will have all the books you need, and loaning books gives you a chance to test drive books before purchasing. And you only need to buy ones you use lots :smile:

To get the most from day one... I hate to quote the old rehtoric, but it's true. You only get out what you put in.

I'd say, don't be afraid to ask questions - you're probably not the only one thinking it and if you don't ask you're the one who leaves not knowing. The first few weeks will feel like complete info overload but don't panic. You will get your head around all the assessment formats and modules etc, it just needs a bit of time. I could list every bit of advice ever here, but the final thing I'd say is to be organised and manage your time well. Many students fail to do this and it leads to lots of stress, little time out from the course and sometimes poorer grades.

I hope that's what you're after!?
Hi all,

I used TSR to help me get into University and haven't used it much in between. I am about to get signed off from my management placement in 2 weeks and I have applied to work as a newly qualified staff nurse on Respiratory and Haematology which is my management placement. Wondering if others have started out on their management placement once qualified and how this worked out.
How do you become a nurse practitioner in the uk?
I haven't been able to find much that wasn't referring to the USA.. I was wondering if after graduating I need a certain number if years experience or certain requirements...?
Any help will be appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Panona
How do you become a nurse practitioner in the uk?
I haven't been able to find much that wasn't referring to the USA.. I was wondering if after graduating I need a certain number if years experience or certain requirements...?
Any help will be appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are several threads on this already in this section. There seems to be a lot of people at the moment who want to be one but have little idea what the job entails.

I'd suggest finding an area of nursing that interests you first, rather than simply aiming for a very broad job title.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got signed off on the weekend! Gonna be an RN woo! Got a job on CCU too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending