The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

It really distresses me when I really want to get something out, say everything on my mind and then I get interrupted. Since I've been diagnosed my mother has been more understanding but I don't think she gets it all. With that being said I would have thought she would have realised it upsets me when I'm interrupted saying something I'm emotional about. Today I'm trying to say something to my brother, he interrupts me a little but I don't blame him, it's not his fault. Then my mother interrupts me, and I stumble over my words, and I start to get distressed. And I ask if I can please say what I've got to say and she interrupts me again, I get more distressed until eventually she's interrupting me on purpose. And I don't really get why because surely she must know it's a surefire way to get me to lose my temper. My brother has special needs so he's sensitive to arguments and stuff too, so upsetting me is only going to upset him too.
Original post by Anonymous
It really distresses me when I really want to get something out, say everything on my mind and then I get interrupted. Since I've been diagnosed my mother has been more understanding but I don't think she gets it all. With that being said I would have thought she would have realised it upsets me when I'm interrupted saying something I'm emotional about. Today I'm trying to say something to my brother, he interrupts me a little but I don't blame him, it's not his fault. Then my mother interrupts me, and I stumble over my words, and I start to get distressed. And I ask if I can please say what I've got to say and she interrupts me again, I get more distressed until eventually she's interrupting me on purpose. And I don't really get why because surely she must know it's a surefire way to get me to lose my temper. My brother has special needs so he's sensitive to arguments and stuff too, so upsetting me is only going to upset him too.

Your mum needs to realise it's rude to interrupt. How rude.
The last few days have really caught up with. Far too overwhelmed and generally feel rather meh.
I am 17 and in the process of getting an Asperger's diagnosis. My mum has been to the GP and then the referral meeting and my school have been asked to comment. I need to go to be assessed on Wednesday. What should I expect?
I am 17 and in the process of getting an Asperger's diagnosis. My mum has been to the GP and then the referral meeting and my school have been asked to comment. I need to go to be assessed on Wednesday. What should I expect?

I was assessed when I was 16, and I was referred to a Children's service so I am not sure if it will be different for you. The assessor basically asked a lot of questions about what I find difficult in my daily life and asked me to fill out some sort of questionnaire as well. After the questionnaire was filled out I was asked to complete some tasks:

1) I had to give instructions on how to wash your hands to some elusive alien creature - apparently this was to assess how well I could communicate information to other people.

2) Look at a picture book and tell the assessor what I thought was happening in the book. - This was to assess whether I could understand unwritten social rules and facial expression.

3) They brought out a box of toys and told me to pick the one I liked most.

4) There was a pretend play task as well - which I failed miserably because I have no imagination.
Oh bloody hell:

So, I've got to have an assessment for PIP. It's at home between 10.30 and 12.30pm. I've had to contact ATOS to ask them to be quite a bit specific. To make it worse, it's when the fire alarm is tested; so I have to be out.
Reply 1766
Original post by Tiger Rag
Oh bloody hell:

So, I've got to have an assessment for PIP. It's at home between 10.30 and 12.30pm. I've had to contact ATOS to ask them to be quite a bit specific. To make it worse, it's when the fire alarm is tested; so I have to be out.

How can they be so vauge:s-smilie:
I'm worried for when I have to get my first PIP assessment because I've heard so many bad things about the assessors.
Original post by Aph
How can they be so vauge:s-smilie:
I'm worried for when I have to get my first PIP assessment because I've heard so many bad things about the assessors.

Thats what's pissing me off. I'll have to have someone with me. Whilst I can get someone to be with me, (mum doesn't work Monday and dad would be off due to his operation) I don't think either would be too happy at having to wait 2 hours for someone to turn up.

I've emailed them and told them they need to be quite a bit more specific. I'm going to follow that one up with a phone call.
Reply 1768
Thats what's pissing me off. I'll have to have someone with me. Whilst I can get someone to be with me, (mum doesn't work Monday and dad would be off due to his operation) I don't think either would be too happy at having to wait 2 hours for someone to turn up.

I've emailed them and told them they need to be quite a bit more specific. I'm going to follow that one up with a phone call.

Why do you need someone with you?
But yeah I understand not wanting to waist so long... I imagine part of it is allowing for overruns and traffic.
Original post by Aph
Why do you need someone with you?
But yeah I understand not wanting to waist so long... I imagine part of it is allowing for overruns and traffic.

It's recommended that you do. I've also got problems with how I hear. (I'm slightly deaf in one ear and my brain doesn't process sound the way it should do - meaning I frequently mishear) Due to having Autism, I've got problems with how I communicate with others.
My report which apparently takes 5 weeks to complete has not arrived. I got the diagnosis in May or June...
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
My report which apparently takes 5 weeks to complete has not arrived. I got the diagnosis in May or June...

You need to chase it up. Ask your GP about it first and if you get no joy, phone the place where you got diagnosed.
You need to chase it up. Ask your GP about it first and if you get no joy, phone the place where you got diagnosed.

Yea :smile: Thanks

I was hoping to use the report for my DSA app but will instead just send off a copy of the summary as well as my GP diagnosis of depression and anxiety.
I don't really like the taste of them
I have my PIP(Personal Independence Payment) tribunal this week and I'm finally getting down to reviewing a copy of the documentation related to my application. One section I need to revisit at the tribunal relates to managing therapy and monitoring health condition. Previously I said I use an alarm to remind me to take medication and require prompting but ignore it which the DWP(Department for Work and Pensions) seem to have picked up on. Probably wasn't the best choice of words. Right choice is probably that I'm distractable. I initially wrote some other stuff about the effects of missing my medication and not monitoring my mental health condition but that doesn't seem all that relevant now. Just wish they had been clearer about what they wanted to know in the first place. It has been 6 and a half months since I applied.
I have my PIP(Personal Independence Payment) tribunal this week and I'm finally getting down to reviewing a copy of the documentation related to my application. One section I need to revisit at the tribunal relates to managing therapy and monitoring health condition. Previously I said I use an alarm to remind me to take medication and require prompting but ignore it which the DWP(Department for Work and Pensions) seem to have picked up on. Probably wasn't the best choice of words. Right choice is probably that I'm distractable. I initially wrote some other stuff about the effects of missing my medication and not monitoring my mental health condition but that doesn't seem all that relevant now. Just wish they had been clearer about what they wanted to know in the first place. It has been 6 and a half months since I applied.

Good luck. I've got my assessment next week. They've given me a home assessment, which is excellent. But I had to explain to them 3 times (and complain to both ATOS and DWP) that they need to be far more specific about the time they'll be here. Especially considering I've got my friend with me who has other things to do. Current letter says between 9am and 11am.
Do I have aspergers?
I was assed by an eduational phycologist when i was 11- i said all the right answers to his questions- i ensured he did not diagnose me, he said that he thought though i probley feel no remorse.
Sometimes i wonder if this is true- i do feel sorry for myself sometimes so prehapes it is kind of 'filling in' for remorsse.
Again I was assed by a phyciatrist when i was 14 - he said he could not tell as i have an anxiety disorder.
THE BACKGROUND TO THIS:
-i have soacial problems that emerged about age 8? I am compleatly soacally isolated
-i have poor coordination and memory
-i have a very high IQ
-I have an anxiety disorder
-Males in my familly show traits of this + all have high IQ's
-I offten fell sorry for my self- i have self harmed quite badly in the past and aparantly have low selfessteem
-My spelling is very bad
Might i have Asperdgers
GS X
Do I have aspergers?
I was assed by an eduational phycologist when i was 11- i said all the right answers to his questions- i ensured he did not diagnose me, he said that he thought though i probley feel no remorse.
Sometimes i wonder if this is true- i do feel sorry for myself sometimes so prehapes it is kind of 'filling in' for remorsse.
Again I was assed by a phyciatrist when i was 14 - he said he could not tell as i have an anxiety disorder.
THE BACKGROUND TO THIS:
-i have soacial problems that emerged about age 8? I am compleatly soacally isolated
-i have a very high IQ
-I offten fell sorry for my self- i have self harmed quite badly in the past and aparantly have low selfessteem
-My spelling is very bad
Might i have Asperdgers
GS X

Based on this I'd say there's a possibility - obviously not definite but there could be other stuff as well so it might be a good idea to make an appointment with your GP/another appropriate health professional to investigate:smile:
Do I have aspergers?
THE BACKGROUND TO THIS:
-i have a very high IQ
-My spelling is very bad
Might i have Asperdgers
GS X

Aspergers has nothing to do with spelling or memory difficulties.
Aspergers has nothing to do with spelling or memory difficulties.
I was only saying i had a poor memory as people with ASD often have a good memory

Quick Reply

Latest