The Student Room Group

Imperial College Msc Finance 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by SonnyZH
I see, thanks for the info. What is your university/degree if you don't mind me asking?

read my previous posts. this qn has been asked a few times already.
Reply 61
Original post by beadyeye
i'm not sure about this. i managed to get several interviews this year, but i hear there are extremely few vacancies available and they reject ppl very often

well u have to weight many factors... just some advice:

1) Take for example u wanna go sales & trading, and you have applied for every sales and trading internship or job out there and are still not getting replies. Then yes, maybe a Msc will help u out.

2) A Msc is not cheap. I don't know your financial background but there is no gurantee that you can get a job after graduation. And even if u do, your starting pay may be the same as a Bachelor Fresh grad (but you have higher qualifications and a higher education loan debt). Are you prepared for that?

3) The Finance field is v wide. How sure are you to know what you really want? Assuming u go for this Msc, the next chance to rebrand yourself is via an MBA (which is again v expensive and sometimes time consuming (the good ones in USA are 2 yrs)). An example, my friend was very happy when he got a job at BOAML as structured products and his pay was on par with BB Investment Bankers. Now after 2 years, he is unhappy (despite his high pay) says he would like to move on to trading commodities. People change when they work and know more about the industry. That is why whatever dreams you have now of the Finance Industry, I would think you may not have the same view a few years down the road.

4) Also you realise in the Msc application for most schools, they will ask how you can contribute to the programme. Though there are people without work experience inside the programme, by having 1 yr of work experience will allow the odds to stand in your favour in saying that you will be able to contribute to class your work experience. You can also take this one yr to study for CFA or GMAT, which you won't normally have the time to do so during your undergrad.
Reply 62
Original post by Emo_Rhino
well u have to weight many factors... just some advice:

1) Take for example u wanna go sales & trading, and you have applied for every sales and trading internship or job out there and are still not getting replies. Then yes, maybe a Msc will help u out.

2) A Msc is not cheap. I don't know your financial background but there is no gurantee that you can get a job after graduation. And even if u do, your starting pay may be the same as a Bachelor Fresh grad (but you have higher qualifications and a higher education loan debt). Are you prepared for that?

3) The Finance field is v wide. How sure are you to know what you really want? Assuming u go for this Msc, the next chance to rebrand yourself is via an MBA (which is again v expensive and sometimes time consuming (the good ones in USA are 2 yrs)). An example, my friend was very happy when he got a job at BOAML as structured products and his pay was on par with BB Investment Bankers. Now after 2 years, he is unhappy (despite his high pay) says he would like to move on to trading commodities. People change when they work and know more about the industry. That is why whatever dreams you have now of the Finance Industry, I would think you may not have the same view a few years down the road.

4) Also you realise in the Msc application for most schools, they will ask how you can contribute to the programme. Though there are people without work experience inside the programme, by having 1 yr of work experience will allow the odds to stand in your favour in saying that you will be able to contribute to class your work experience. You can also take this one yr to study for CFA or GMAT, which you won't normally have the time to do so during your undergrad.

no, i'm not applying for a finance degree so your advice isn't directly related to me (excellent advice/insight nonetheless). i was referring to an earlier post regarding the relative inactivity of the labour market at the moment.

however back on your points, you cannot deny that a degree from a top institution will do anything but hurt your chances at employment. certainly some form of employment experience will enhance your chances at acceptance (you are an excellent example of this), but there are people like LSEfreak who have been unable to even get any work opportunity. from his perspective, an msc (from imperial college no doubt) would very likely enhance his employability despite, as you mention, no increase in returns to investment on the msc programme. i am completely in favour of work experience before an msc programme - i believe you're MEANT to draw inspiration for your dissertation from employment experience, but some how that isn't an option for many people now and an easier path would be an msc programme. once again, you cannot deny that the finance industry is a game for the rich.

then again, imperial college business school boasts of a 90% placement rate within 3 months of graduation. suppose that's true, i think it invalidates (2) about having no guarantee of a job. however the rest of your points are highly valid. you don't really know if that's what you want to do until you're really doing it for some time. though i find your proposition to study for cfa 1 and/or gmat/gre very intriguing. i understand that you have taken the gmat once, i reckon this is from your personal experience then? or did you take the gmat whilst under employment?
Reply 63
received a 2.1 conditional offer for MSc Finance :smile:
quick question. whoever got an offer for msc programmes at imperial. did they get an email that they made an offer or i have to keep checking my application status?
Original post by dqqh

just today? can u share your profile?
Reply 66
no, i'm not applying for a finance degree so your advice isn't directly related to me (excellent advice/insight nonetheless). i was referring to an earlier post regarding the relative inactivity of the labour market at the moment.

however back on your points, you cannot deny that a degree from a top institution will do anything but hurt your chances at employment. certainly some form of employment experience will enhance your chances at acceptance (you are an excellent example of this), but there are people like LSEfreak who have been unable to even get any work opportunity. from his perspective, an msc (from imperial college no doubt) would very likely enhance his employability despite, as you mention, no increase in returns to investment on the msc programme. i am completely in favour of work experience before an msc programme - i believe you're MEANT to draw inspiration for your dissertation from employment experience, but some how that isn't an option for many people now and an easier path would be an msc programme. once again, you cannot deny that the finance industry is a game for the rich.

then again, imperial college business school boasts of a 90% placement rate within 3 months of graduation. suppose that's true, i think it invalidates (2) about having no guarantee of a job. however the rest of your points are highly valid. you don't really know if that's what you want to do until you're really doing it for some time. though i find your proposition to study for cfa 1 and/or gmat/gre very intriguing. i understand that you have taken the gmat once, i reckon this is from your personal experience then? or did you take the gmat whilst under employment?

I took the GMAT and CFA after graduation. Except for very smart students, i think most people here would attest that maintaining a good GPA/Honours is already a challenge during your undergrad. You won't have much time to study for GMAT and CFA and pass them successfully during your undergrad.

yes, if you cannot get a good job, then maybe a Msc will help, but you do have to realise the cons that come with it, most importantly the high costs involved.

The employment rate does not really tell the full picture. I have spoken to some Alumini of the programme. Not all end up as Investment Bankers. Some ended up as Bank Auditors or Private Wealth. You take your chances.

Everyone's background and direction in life is unique so everyone has to think for themselves whether this Msc is really worth it...
Original post by dqqh

Congratulations! :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by dqqh

congratulations. did you get an account just to tell us that?
Reply 69
Original post by rollarcoaster
just today? can u share your profile?

yeah, I'm on a 1st at tho mo in bsc economics, gmat 710+6, 2 internships.

Original post by incipientclarity
Congratulations! :smile:

congratulations. did you get an account just to tell us that?

err, no, I can't remember my old account and password... the last time i used tsr was for undergrad apps...

Original post by rollarcoaster
quick question. whoever got an offer for msc programmes at imperial. did they get an email that they made an offer or i have to keep checking my application status?

I received an email a couple of days before they updated the actual online thingy... good luck :smile:
Reply 70
They have over 200 seats for this course, meaning they must make at least 300 offers I'd say (given the cost + fact that it's not the most established programme). 300/2000 = roughly 1/7 chance of getting in. Not that bad, I think I'll apply tonight.
Reply 71
Anyone else applying/got an offer for Msc RMFE?
Reply 72
Original post by Swayum
They have over 200 seats for this course, meaning they must make at least 300 offers I'd say (given the cost + fact that it's not the most established programme). 300/2000 = roughly 1/7 chance of getting in. Not that bad, I think I'll apply tonight.

where did you get your 2000 figure from?
Reply 73
where did you get your 2000 figure from?

I thought I saw it on Imperial's website, but I can't seem to find it now, so maybe I made it up. Maybe I confused it with Warwick who do indeed have over 2k applications (http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/masters/finance/ ), I'd guess Imperial would be similar.
Reply 74
Original post by Swayum
I thought I saw it on Imperial's website, but I can't seem to find it now, so maybe I made it up. Maybe I confused it with Warwick who do indeed have over 2k applications (http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/masters/finance/ ), I'd guess Imperial would be similar.

I see. I also have the impression that Imperial Msc Finance is not that hard to get in...
Reply 75
Hi guys! Do you all have the GMAT already in your pocket? Do you think there is any possibility to get in without the GMAT but presenting yourself as a GMAT candidate, namely giving them the date on which you'll take the test and your registration code?? I mean, can they give conditional offers on the GMAT??

Doing the career planning questions, the personal statement and the math exp statement does actually take a while ...:s-smilie:
Hi everyone, I am a new user here and it is my first time posting.

I am a graduate of a top tier Canadian university with high first class honours. I am interested in applying for the MSc.Finance program at Imperial. I come from a different background than most and I am wondering if I even have a shot or if it's worth applying - I haven't written the GMAT and am trying to avoid it if I can. My background is B.Sc 1st class honours (4.12/4.3 GPA) Immunology & Microbiology and was the recipient of a prize upon graduation for top thesis and honours project as well as other outstanding academic achievement awards in my grad class. I have taken mathematically based courses through my degree such as calculus, physics, statistics, and a few years of chemistry. I have other things going for me such as first author publications, presentations at international conferences and an extensive research career. These are just a few things, I also have experience as VP non profit organization and president's and treasurer for multiple societies as well as international volunteering experience.
I am aware I am not the typical applicant but I am wondering if the uni has room for nontraditional applicants like me in the class. Feedback is appreciated, cheers.
Reply 77
Original post by Fkappa
Hi guys! Do you all have the GMAT already in your pocket? Do you think there is any possibility to get in without the GMAT but presenting yourself as a GMAT candidate, namely giving them the date on which you'll take the test and your registration code?? I mean, can they give conditional offers on the GMAT??

Doing the career planning questions, the personal statement and the math exp statement does actually take a while ...:s-smilie:

i think GMAT is not a requirement... but if u have, it increases ur chances, like they don't need a Finance internship or work experience but if you have it, it increases ur chances.

if I am u, I will try taking the GMAT.
Reply 78
Original post by interleukin
Hi everyone, I am a new user here and it is my first time posting.

I am a graduate of a top tier Canadian university with high first class honours. I am interested in applying for the MSc.Finance program at Imperial. I come from a different background than most and I am wondering if I even have a shot or if it's worth applying - I haven't written the GMAT and am trying to avoid it if I can. My background is B.Sc 1st class honours (4.12/4.3 GPA) Immunology & Microbiology and was the recipient of a prize upon graduation for top thesis and honours project as well as other outstanding academic achievement awards in my grad class. I have taken mathematically based courses through my degree such as calculus, physics, statistics, and a few years of chemistry. I have other things going for me such as first author publications, presentations at international conferences and an extensive research career. These are just a few things, I also have experience as VP non profit organization and president's and treasurer for multiple societies as well as international volunteering experience.
I am aware I am not the typical applicant but I am wondering if the uni has room for nontraditional applicants like me in the class. Feedback is appreciated, cheers.

not sure... ur results are excellent but I think you will have difficulty filling up your personal statement, like why u wanna join Finance and how u can contribute to class...
Reply 79
i think GMAT is not a requirement... but if u have, it increases ur chances, like they don't need a Finance internship or work experience but if you have it, it increases ur chances.

if I am u, I will try taking the GMAT.

Totally agree with you...but I'm facing this sort of trade off. Since I'm doing an internship right now I can only study for the GMAT in the late evening and weekends and it will take a while to get ready. Moreover there is the possibility that I won't get a satisfactory result the first time I try and this would delay the whole thing even more...in any case I won't be able to take the GMAT before the end of February. On the other side there is no GMAT but the possibility to apply earlier, and try to make the app as better as I can. Do you think that applying within the end of the week I will still be considered an "early applicant"?

Thx
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest