The Student Room Group

I feel so disconnected from my parents' culture...and it has been making me depressed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Anonymous
Hey

I quoted you before about going to uni in London.

Well I recently got an offer from a uni up in the North-East of England, so I've decided I shall be going there in September. It's for the best. I love London but I need to get away from my parents.

hey!
I was actually wondering how you were getting on... nice to hear from you. congrats that's awesome!
you'll enjoy the northeast :smile:
Reply 141
Original post by Dominic101
The poor food for one and the general condoning of physical abuse towards
children. Also the fact that children are deemed as lasts to their elders and are meant to be treated with respect and the large amount of casual racism.

Poor food? Maybe person who made it for you can't cook properly-Nigerian food made well is amazing and well seasoned. Physicalbuse? You mean discipline, thats what they know.I don't support ott discipline, only a minority take it overboard.There is huge emphasis on respect for elders and it should be. Casual racism,please explain.
Original post by someonesomewherexx
Shame, the spraying was one of the highlights of a traditional wedding for me as a kid :frown:

Still spraybut here in the UK it with dollars, don't ask why.
Original post by Ebuwa
Poor food? Maybe person who made it for you can't cook properly-Nigerian food made well is amazing and well seasoned. Physicalbuse? You mean discipline, thats what they know.I don't support ott discipline, only a minority take it overboard.There is huge emphasis on respect for elders and it should be. Casual racism,please explain.

Still spraybut here in the UK it with dollars, don't ask why.

Dollars :confused: but then, nigerians :rolleyes: ...
Reply 143
Dollars :confused: but then, nigerians :rolleyes: ...

Haven't you ever been to a UK Nigerian party? I think because of the conversion rate.
Original post by Ebuwa
Haven't you ever been to a UK Nigerian party? I think because of the conversion rate.

Kmt. Are you the thread starter?
Reply 145
Original post by Ebuwa
Yes they are

No they ain't, you need to sign the registry book to make it legally valid. but if you just plan on using customary tradition then sure. otherwise no.
Reply 146
I don't really believe it my mum still wont shut up about the fact that without a traditional Nigerian ceremony, my wedding and marriage and be invalid in accordance with British law and British officials and authorities.

I wish she'd shut up otherwise I'm gonna have to consider cutting her out of my life as well.

utter rubbish, like they give a toss about u eating kola nut and drinking palm wine or whether your husband's mates wipe the floor with their new agbadas to beg your hand in marriage abeg. all they want to see is registry certificate.
anyway why would this matter? are your parents planning on marrying you off to someone in nigeria for you bring back into the country as your husband?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 147
Original post by Crazy Paving
Kmt. Are you the thread starter?

Did I say I was. Abeg leave me.

Original post by Wahala
No they ain't, you need to sign the registry book to make it legally valid. but if you just plan on using customary tradition then sure. otherwise no.

Yes they are as you have said in your penultimate sentence. My parents traditonal marriage was recognised under British law by HMRC-they didn't have a registry wedding.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ebuwa

Yeah, a few but they never sprayed money :frown:
Original post by Ebuwa
Did I say I was. Abeg leave me.

Abeg own up.
Reply 150
children.

This is something that I've always noticed from a young age unfortunately. :frown: I don't mean to be rude but even when you go onto the African society, I notice attitudes like this.

Also the fact that children are deemed as lasts to their elders and are meant to be treated with respect and the large amount of casual racism.

That's true unfortunately. There seems to be a backwards view of children should be seen and not heard. They are not individuals with their own minds and they know nothing. Respect works one way. I know a lot of Nigeria families and this is the case :frown: As a child or young person we'd have no social standing.

What do you mean by 'the large amount of casual racism'?
Reply 151
children. Also the fact that children are deemed as lasts to their elders and are meant to be treated with respect and the large amount of casual racism.

Oh yeah by the way, the food is great, imo don't see what's wrong with it. I love it :smile: Do you prefer English food? Can you cook at all?
Reply 152
Original post by arbaaz
hey!
I was actually wondering how you were getting on... nice to hear from you. congrats that's awesome!
you'll enjoy the northeast :smile:

Thank you! :biggrin: I can't wait!
Abeg own up.

Abeg(gi) stop arguing, I'm enjoying this way more than I should :biggrin:
Reply 154
Original post by Wahala
utter rubbish, like they give a toss about u eating kola nut and drinking palm wine or whether your husband's mates wipe the floor with their new agbadas to beg your hand in marriage abeg. all they want to see is registry certificate.
anyway why would this matter? are your parents planning on marrying you off to someone in nigeria for you bring back into the country as your husband?

I hope not. But anyway, no they aren't, my mum keeps bringing it up for us to remember when we get married. She'd rather we got married in Nigeria.
Reply 155
Abeg own up.

Abeg shutup, I no wan wahala.

Yeah, a few but they never sprayed money :frown:

whaaaaat. Thats unheard of.What tribe(party)?
Original post by Ebuwa

whaaaaat. Thats unheard of.What tribe(party)?

I'm Yoruba, but I happen to have very posh relatives who don't believe in such practices...Lol
Abeg(gi) stop arguing, I'm enjoying this way more than I should :biggrin:

:rofl2: Finally a good Nigerian girl.

Original post by Ebuwa

KMT, I am Igbo, not Yoruba. :angry:
Reply 158
Original post by Ebuwa
Yes they are as you have said in your penultimate sentence. My parents traditonal marriage was recognised under British law by HMRC-they didn't have a registry wedding.

yea because presumably they already had an established married life... in op's scenario, it won't apply.

I hope not. But anyway, no they aren't, my mum keeps bringing it up for us to remember when we get married. She'd rather we got married in Nigeria.

you need not worry yourself with such detail. what if your partner and his family insist on a london wedding? what then? some naija peeps here can't even be bothered with doin traditional .

Original post by Ebuwa

then don't mention my name, i'm like the candy man :colone:
Reply 159
Original post by Wahala
you need not worry yourself with such detail. what if your partner and his family insist on a london wedding? what then? some naija peeps here can't even be bothered with doin traditional

To be honest, I'm fed up with my parents trying to dictate my life and trying to impose certain views on me that I hope by that time not to be so close in contact with them by then.

Quick Reply

Latest