The Student Room Group

Anyone else hate music pretention and snobbery?

am i the only one who CANNOT STAND THIS??

i keep seeing it everywhere, especially on youtube... "people who dislike this don't know real music" etc. whether it's on led zep, gaga, jayz, WHATEVER...

why do people not understand music is SUBJECTIVE. opinions are SUBJECTIVE. why does it matter that one person likes one direction and the other likes daft punk....... really WHY DOES IT MATTER????? how do the music tastes of other people affect you in any way? why does liking a particular band or artist or aspect of music make you superior, why is your taste in music seemingly better?
or you like one musician, for example you might say "i like adele" and then someone could reply to you "wait, don't you like justin bieber" (inb4 these comments) and it's like your whole opinion is invalid? it's moronic...

why don't people understand we are not all clones and different people like different things! i don't give a **** what music you like and will not judge any other aspect of your character for it... it's not like you CHOOSE what music you like, it just happens... i don't see why you should be ashamed/embarassed for something as harmless as musical taste...

also, just because you like one musician/singer/band, does not mean you cannot like other artists that are completely different!

it's just one of my pet hates.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
because some music is better than others.
perhaps music snobbery offers a profound insight into the human condition...
I completely agree with you, people should be allowed to have different opinions on music- it's makes each of us unique. Unfortunately some peope just don't understand.
Reply 4
Original post by bulgy
because some music is better than others.

first that is subjective, secondly it is very hard to compare music of different genres, thirdly why does it matter that some music maybe involve more talent eg. has more technical instrumentals or vocals or lyrics etc.? how does that make the liker of that music and their opinions superior? again it's just different, it's like saying a plate of escargot is better than a fried egg because more technique is needed to make escargot than a fried egg...
Couldnt agree with you more. Music taste is perhaps one of the most opinion dividing and subjective topics there is and music snobbery is one of my extreme pet hates. Let people listen to what ever the **** they want.
Reply 6
I get this. I have a friend who bitches about anything too "mainstream", whereas I know for a fact she has this stuff on her iPod. :ninja: I think she thinks she's being cool, but really it's just annoying...
Reply 7
Music is not subjective. There is good music and there is **** music.
Agreed. What I hate the most are people who say they want Justin Bieber or Skrillex to 'die'. How can you hate someone to that extent just because you don't like their music? I'm not personally a Bieber fan, but he has made loads of money and makes many people happy with his music, so good on him.
Reply 9
Of course music is subjective and I can understand why someone will like a certain song. However, I can safely say that this song is utter ****.

Reply 10
Whenever I engage in music snobbery (which is often), I'm usually being facetious.

Incidentally, the statistics show that my music taste is likely to be categorically better than yours.
Original post by ForgettingWhatsername
Agreed. What I hate the most are people who say they want Justin Bieber or Skrillex to 'die'. How can you hate someone to that extent just because you don't like their music? I'm not personally a Bieber fan, but he has made loads of money and makes many people happy with his music, so good on him.

Justin bieber is an exception to this rule. Period.
Reply 12
If anyone argues that Nickelback are in any way good, they are definitely wrong.
People just enjoy passing their opinions off as fact. Let's face it, it's pretty fun sometimes.
Reply 14
Original post by Tzarchasm
Of course music is subjective and I can understand why someone will like a certain song. However, I can safely say that this song is utter ****.

i'm not saying you can't say you think songs are ****... i'm saying some people say some songs are **** and they are somehow better than someone who likes that and someone who likes that song is stupid and is not worth listening to/another million other judgements about that person.
Original post by -aimz
If anyone argues that Nickelback are in any way good, they are definitely wrong.

Agreed. Same goes for U2.

Original post by Converse Rocker
People just enjoy passing their opinions off as fact. Let's face it, it's pretty fun sometimes.

Haha, this.
I agree with you I found this guy and he said "I like Nirvana because they're not mainstream" *facepalm*
Reply 17
My girlfriend likes me singing to her. However anyone who listens to music knows I am a **** singer. It's not music snobbery to say my music is ****, and it doesn't make her like it any less.

You've just got to realize a 'snobs' perspective is just as valid as your subjective one, and that those two don't need to be mutually exclusive and don't need to affect one another.
Original post by Bellissima
am i the only one who CANNOT STAND THIS??

i keep seeing it everywhere, especially on youtube... "people who dislike this don't know real music" etc. whether it's on led zep, gaga, jayz, WHATEVER...

why do people not understand music is SUBJECTIVE. opinions are SUBJECTIVE. why does it matter that one person likes one direction and the other likes daft punk....... really WHY DOES IT MATTER????? how do the music tastes of other people affect you in any way? why does liking a particular band or artist or aspect of music make you superior, why is your taste in music seemingly better?
or you like one musician, for example you might say "i like adele" and then someone could reply to you "wait, don't you like justin bieber" (inb4 these comments) and it's like your whole opinion is invalid? it's moronic...

why don't people understand we are not all clones and different people like different things! i don't give a **** what music you like and will not judge any other aspect of your character for it... it's not like you CHOOSE what music you like, it just happens... i don't see why you should be ashamed/embarassed for something as harmless as musical taste...

also, just because you like one musician/singer/band, does not mean you cannot like other artists that are completely different!

it's just one of my pet hates.

Couldn't care less what people listen or don't listen to. Personal choice, init?

HOWEVER, involuntary listening when someones music is too lound/through speakers on the bus/confined space etcetera..... I do sometimes get the urge to shove their foot down their throat. Don't make everyone listen to it.
Pink Floyd are objectively better than N Dubz.

Quick Reply

Latest