The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Social life at Bristol (vs. Edinburgh & Durham)

Hello all,

I've received offers to study chemistry from Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh and St. Andrews and, surprise surprise, am having a lot of trouble choosing. Of the four I've only every been to Edinburgh where my brother studied, as I live outside the UK. I've heard lots of good things about all my options, and find my biggest problem is just knowing what the student life is like.

About the coursework, I'm interested in also taking some economics on the side and perhaps a few other courses if I can find the time. Is Bristol flexible when it comes to courses you can follow?

I've become rather attracted to Bristol for all the great things I've heard about the city, that it's vibrant and exciting, with lots of culture and things to do, which is exactly what I'd like. (I've heard lots of accounts that Durham can get a bit dull at times.) However, as it's more of a city-university, does it still offer lots of chances for a big social scene? I'm the kind of person who loves to get to know tons of people and have a big social circle, which is what appealed to me about Durham. How does one generally get to know people in a large city like Bristol? What's the atmosphere like?

I also very much enjoy playing jazz piano; how would one go about continuing that at Bristol? Do they offer practice rooms, or do people generally just get their own instrument?

Thanks a bunch in advance
My mate's at Bristol, and I visited there for a weekend. The city is amazing, you can be sure of that.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by ZachE
Hello all,

I've received offers to study chemistry from Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh and St. Andrews and, surprise surprise, am having a lot of trouble choosing. Of the four I've only every been to Edinburgh where my brother studied, as I live outside the UK. I've heard lots of good things about all my options, and find my biggest problem is just knowing what the student life is like.

About the coursework, I'm interested in also taking some economics on the side and perhaps a few other courses if I can find the time. Is Bristol flexible when it comes to courses you can follow?

I've become rather attracted to Bristol for all the great things I've heard about the city, that it's vibrant and exciting, with lots of culture and things to do, which is exactly what I'd like. (I've heard lots of accounts that Durham can get a bit dull at times.) However, as it's more of a city-university, does it still offer lots of chances for a big social scene? I'm the kind of person who loves to get to know tons of people and have a big social circle, which is what appealed to me about Durham. How does one generally get to know people in a large city like Bristol? What's the atmosphere like?

I also very much enjoy playing jazz piano; how would one go about continuing that at Bristol? Do they offer practice rooms, or do people generally just get their own instrument?

Thanks a bunch in advance

Hey I'm debating whether to choose Bristol or a campus uni. I don't know anything about the nightlife but when I was looking at accomodation, a lot of the halls had their own music practice rooms with a piano.
Reply 3
Original post by xfirekittyx
Hey I'm debating whether to choose Bristol or a campus uni. I don't know anything about the nightlife but when I was looking at accomodation, a lot of the halls had their own music practice rooms with a piano.

Hmm, that does sound appealing, thanks. What are the pros and cons to each in your eyes?
Original post by ZachE
Hmm, that does sound appealing, thanks. What are the pros and cons to each in your eyes?

Well my other choice is quite different to yours :tongue:

However I would say in general, the fact that campus are self contained can be a major advantage (if you're lazy like me) minimal travel time, you can stay in bed later and roll into lectures if you're living on campus. They also usually have a shop on campus, and sometimes even the nightlife takes places on site, so everything you need is on your doorstep. Main pro = convienence.

My main advantage of Bristol is I love the course, and the enthusiam the department have for my subject. This could only be true for my subject for all I know. However, for people who are into clubing I know there's such diversity for the nightlife. It's also a very cultural place, with the Bristol Old Vic for theatre, and lots of live music and comedy nights. I also loved the fact some of the halls seemed to have a distinct character and their own community with lots of leisure facilities pool table/ table tennis etc. Where as at some other unis, the halls were just purpose built. The more expensive were slightly larger, looked nicer and had better facilities - that was it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending