The Student Room Group

The Lone Traveller's Base / TSR Travel Society

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone done clubbing type holidays on their own before? I really wanna do Magaluf, Malia etc but recently went to Zante with some friends who were a total buzzkill the entire time. Went to bed at 10pm most nights, rarely ever drank etc. It was horrible. Worried I'm too old to visit all the 18-30 resorts I want to go to now and it's making me quite depressed.
Original post by orange crush
Has anyone done clubbing type holidays on their own before? I really wanna do Magaluf, Malia etc but recently went to Zante with some friends who were a total buzzkill the entire time. Went to bed at 10pm most nights, rarely ever drank etc. It was horrible. Worried I'm too old to visit all the 18-30 resorts I want to go to now and it's making me quite depressed.

Unless you're 31, you're not too old to do an 18-30 holiday.

However, that's not to recommend you actually do this kind of thing on your tod. You'll always enjoy beach holidays much more with friends or family. If you're alone it's easier to meet people by going to a lively city on the continent and staying in a hostel. There will be loads of European, American and Australian (**** loads of Australian especially) solo travellers and depending on the hostel, planned activities. Prague and Budapest are great cities for that kind of thing.
(edited 7 years ago)
I am going to volunteer in Madrid for 5 weeks. There is a lot of downtime due to the work days being shorter from the heat and I also have weekends free.

For those who have been to Madrid what should I be sure to see and which surrounding areas are worth a visit. I will use the train to travel further at least once.

Also, what are the best ways to make friends whom live in Madrid? What are spanish people like in terms of meeting new people.

Thanks.

@rockrunride - saw that you have been to Madrid so hoping you have some advice :smile:
Would think a lone holiday would be lit
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys,

I really liked travelling solo, and had an awsome experience when I had a rode trip from Kentucky - USA to South Dakota. It took me 3 days trip, and I had such a great time. I stopped in Kansas and Omaha on my way to SD. I met so many new people, as I stopped in bars that I´ve never been before with a friend from Kansas. Although I new the person we were not such friends that I could just stay the night. I had some problems with the weather, because it was winter and I got a really bad blizzard on my way back. That way I had to stop in a town and met a very cute army guy, who I chatted for a couple hours...what an amazing chance to enjoy yourself! I hope you have the chance to do that sometime!

AP
Hey Guys,

I encourage anyone who enjoys travelling to experienc travelling solo at least once in a life time! Why? Because I believe it is a great opportunity to actually know more about yourself, your likes and dislikes, get to meet new people, and to overcome any challenges you might come across. I traveled from a little town in Kentucky - US to South Dakota, the trip was long, it took me 3 days to get there, I drove alone and decided were I wanted to stop, I visited Kansas and some people I knew in Omaha on my way to SD. I talked to people I´ve never seen in my entire life, met some funny ones and arrieved on my final destination after 3 days. On my way back I made a different trip, stopped in different cities, this led me into a really bad blizzard. If I had planned better my departure date it wouldn´t have happened, although I met a cute guy who helped me to get out of the storm and we chatted for awhile. The good memories and lessons learned will neve be forgotten... I wish you try sometime!

by AP.
Original post by Excuse Me!
I am going to volunteer in Madrid for 5 weeks. There is a lot of downtime due to the work days being shorter from the heat and I also have weekends free.

For those who have been to Madrid what should I be sure to see and which surrounding areas are worth a visit. I will use the train to travel further at least once.

Also, what are the best ways to make friends whom live in Madrid? What are spanish people like in terms of meeting new people.

Thanks.

@rockrunride - saw that you have been to Madrid so hoping you have some advice :smile:

Hey! I was in Madrid for two months a couple of years ago and loved it!

Places that I really liked were Parque del Oeste and the temple there - fantastic views and out of the hustle and bustle of the city centre. Definitely look up el rastro (big market) on a Sunday, and somewhere there's a really good place to get food - no idea what it's called, but you see all the locals queueing for it and there's nothing else about so you can't miss it!

Places outside Madrid that were worth going to were Manzanares el real, Segovia, el Escorial, Toledo, and Cuenca. If you can go further I'd highly recommend Córdoba - it's an absolutely stunning city in the south :smile: let me know if you have any particular questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, considering going to Copenhagen solo if anyone's done it before?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Butterfly9595
Also, considering going to Copenhagen solo if anyone's done it before?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have! Would definitely recommend it :smile: If you're after hostel recommendations, I stayed at Sleep in Heaven and it was fantastic!

Let me know if you have any specific questions :smile:
Original post by Legal_eagle2012
I have! Would definitely recommend it :smile: If you're after hostel recommendations, I stayed at Sleep in Heaven and it was fantastic!

Let me know if you have any specific questions :smile:

Ooh thanks! What's the city like? And any recommendations as to what to do? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've always travelled solo, and sometimes I get a couple of days where I get kinda lonely and sad someone isn't with me, but I shrug it off.

I'm going round Asia for a month next week and I'm not really in the right mindset to do so. Feeling kinda low and lonely in general - last thing I wanna do is spend four weeks on my own tbh, but oh well, what can you do? :awesome:
Original post by Airfairy
I've always travelled solo, and sometimes I get a couple of days where I get kinda lonely and sad someone isn't with me, but I shrug it off.

I'm going round Asia for a month next week and I'm not really in the right mindset to do so. Feeling kinda low and lonely in general - last thing I wanna do is spend four weeks on my own tbh, but oh well, what can you do? :awesome:

You'll meet tonnes of people traveling around Asia, add that to the fact that the locals are as friendly as can be and you certainly won't be lonely! Where abouts are you going, out of interest?
Original post by hskjlclcn
You'll meet tonnes of people traveling around Asia, add that to the fact that the locals are as friendly as can be and you certainly won't be lonely! Where abouts are you going, out of interest?

Japan, South Korea and Hong Kong :smile:
Original post by Butterfly9595
Ooh thanks! What's the city like? And any recommendations as to what to do? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's lovely: the people there are so friendly! :smile: I would recommend Nyhaven (just beautiful!), Changing of the Guard and Amalienborg Palace. I also did a boat trip from Nyhaven which was good. You could also head over to Malmo in Sweden: it takes under an hour on the train. Finally, the museums are interesting if that's your sort of thing :smile:

Hope that helps!
Hey guys.

Was going to make my own thread for this but thought it might be best to ask for some advice here first. :smile:

I am travelling to Kiruna, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo and Bergen in the last two weeks of December. I'm currently making a plan of what I want to see during my time there etc and have been starting to pack a few things (I am very organised).

I was just wondering what I should be bringing in terms of clothing etc? I know Kiruna will be very very cold and I am planning on bringing some thermals, lots of layers and some nice thick boots to get around. Is anyone familiar with the winter climate in the rest of the Scandinavian countries? I want to pack as light as possible, but obviously don't want to freeze to death.

Thanks.
I believe that traveling alone can benefit you in a lot of ways. I agree at first it sounds weird, but being in a foreign country by yourself allows you to learn more about yourself and chase those personal interests as well. I currently am on a 2-month exchange trip in Chile and am absolutely loving the experience I was able to receive here too. With the statements made by rockrunride, if you follow the advice given you should be okay in any situation. I know Latin America gets a bad rep by many people, but throughout my time here I have been relatively safe in my surrounding area and everywhere I have visited as well! Do not let fear stop you from experiencing so much, it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go see the world!

Quick Reply

Latest