The Student Room Group

Southampton Nursing???

I've Applied to do Adult & Child and have a selection day on the 23rd Feb, anyone got any tips? there is so much to read (policy wise) do you have to read them in detail? anyone else applying for this course or nursing in general at Southampton? Soooo nervous! But really like the idea of Southampton as my first choice!

Thanks xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!
Yeah I have applied to do the same course but haven't been told about the selection day :frown: Do you know if it is the only one? Would be gutted if didn't get to go! Where else have you applied? I have been invited to an assessment day for Cardiff and don't know what to expect :/

xx
Reply 2
Original post by Bro_Bro
Hey!
Yeah I have applied to do the same course but haven't been told about the selection day :frown: Do you know if it is the only one? Would be gutted if didn't get to go! Where else have you applied? I have been invited to an assessment day for Cardiff and don't know what to expect :/

xx

I applied for adult and child nursing. I haven't heard anything back from them yet. But was told by someone else that no news is usually good news. They usually make rejections within a couple of days. I hope this is the case for us. Good luck with your future studies.
Reply 3
Ah right, have you just heard back about the Adult's Nursing then? Congratulations btw :biggrin: and Aww I so hope this is the cause for us both as well ! Where else have you applied?
Good luck to you as well :smile:
Reply 4
Hi, thought i might help i am doing the adult and child course at Southampton, there are only 12 of us this year and its the first year they ran it. On the selection day if they haven't changed it we had to do a maths and English test and then a group activity. Where we had a scenario and had to work things out. They are really nice here and very supportive.
Reply 5
Original post by fox1993
Hi, thought i might help i am doing the adult and child course at Southampton, there are only 12 of us this year and its the first year they ran it. On the selection day if they haven't changed it we had to do a maths and English test and then a group activity. Where we had a scenario and had to work things out. They are really nice here and very supportive.

Aw, thanks:smile:
Yeah, I really want to do the Children's and Adult course, I think it would be just such a great opportunity to be a dualy trained nurse. I would love to do it.
Is the selection day like an interview sort of thing? Or is it similar to others, a girl told me she went to a selection day but it was like they had already picked you for the course and was just sort of an information thing and making sure they liked you? is this correct?
Reply 6
No i was told it was a interview thing but it is not very formal. Hopefully u will be in the this years new dual field group.
Reply 7
Original post by fox1993
No i was told it was a interview thing but it is not very formal. Hopefully u will be in the this years new dual field group.

Ah right, I see :smile: Do you remember what sort of things they asked you :smile:
Thanks, maybe see you next september :L
Reply 8
Well we i originally applied, i applied for adult nursing but i think there was a mixture in the room. You didn't have one to one so there wasn't really question to answer. In the group discussion make sure you talk a bit but not too much just to show you are confident. But cant remember what sort of thing asked as i went to many interviews, just make sure you know your basic maths and read the document they give
Reply 9
Original post by fox1993
Well we i originally applied, i applied for adult nursing but i think there was a mixture in the room. You didn't have one to one so there wasn't really question to answer. In the group discussion make sure you talk a bit but not too much just to show you are confident. But cant remember what sort of thing asked as i went to many interviews, just make sure you know your basic maths and read the document they give

Okie doke, that's great! Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by fox1993

Original post by fox1993

What sort of maths questions are they, is it pretty basic ?
Reply 11
Ive applied just for the child nursing and got my date through yesterday for the selection day on the 28th of feb this month, im really worried as we have to do a maths test and i hate maths and freak out, is it just basic maths like adding subtracting and divison ?? ive heard you may have to covert measurments and things and i hate this !!!!???? Also if you dont pass the maths do they tell you before you have the group interview ?
Reply 12
Heya, I had a child and adult joint on the 4th of Janurary. There was about 50 people at the selection day- a mix of all the branches. I heard back within a few days and got an unsucessfull. They told us on the day that there were only 10 places in total avaliable for the course! There was about 7 of us who had applied for the course on that day.

Everyone said that the maths was really difficult- they have really long-winded questions to simple addition, i found it ok but it took up so much time, leaving me only 10 minutes for the english questions. The english questions were a bit difficult to understand at first ie: discuss why an individual would choose to go against positive health messages.
For the group interview you are put into a group of 6 and then you are given a random question. Ours was how has the economic climate affected health services. It was quite a simple question but we ran out of things to say. Our group was ok and we all had a equal say. Some groups apparently had really domineering or too quiet people in them.
I felt that i done quite well on the day, but i guess there are just too few places for applicants. You get a report of why you didnt get the place about 2 months afterwards! Haven't got mine yet.
Feel free to ask me any questions about the day :smile:
Reply 13
Oh and they have a score sheet for you and score you throughout the day- therefore everyone has to do the group interview.
Reply 14
Thankyou, I hope I do okay I applied to university last year and got a place at canterbury christ church but i didnt get one of my alevel grades they wanted. Southampton is my only interview this year as all other are unsucsessful so i really need to get in ! i really dont want to be waiting around for another year !! In the maths test did they have questions on converting measurements ? like pints into litres etc ???
Reply 15
Original post by Lauren12
Ive applied just for the child nursing and got my date through yesterday for the selection day on the 28th of feb this month, im really worried as we have to do a maths test and i hate maths and freak out, is it just basic maths like adding subtracting and divison ?? ive heard you may have to covert measurments and things and i hate this !!!!???? Also if you dont pass the maths do they tell you before you have the group interview ?

Im going the same day! I sent them an email saying I'd be going but they havent replied yet, did they reply to you? :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Original post by Clodagh883
Im going the same day! I sent them an email saying I'd be going but they havent replied yet, did they reply to you? :s-smilie:

Yeah i sent it this evening to say im going lol i havent got a reply either yet not sure if they do or not? what branch have you applied for ?
Reply 17
Thankyou, I hope I do okay I applied to university last year and got a place at canterbury christ church but i didnt get one of my alevel grades they wanted. Southampton is my only interview this year as all other are unsucsessful so i really need to get in ! i really dont want to be waiting around for another year !! In the maths test did they have questions on converting measurements ? like pints into litres etc ???

Don't worry about conversion, it didn't come up with me last year. Yes, the maths can be a little tricky but it's perfectly doable and you're not expected to get 100% Just brush up on BBC Bitesize and you'll be fine. Dress smartly, smile at the interviewers, get eye contact, read the pre read, make sure you know about Sure start and other health stuff in the news. If they make you an offer, they like you and will prob still accept you even if you miss a grade or two. :smile:
Reply 18
Yeah i sent it this evening to say im going lol i havent got a reply either yet not sure if they do or not? what branch have you applied for ?

Original post by Clodagh883

Last year they emailed me back the next day to confirm they had marked me in as attending.
Reply 19
Original post by glf2110
Don't worry about conversion, it didn't come up with me last year. Yes, the maths can be a little tricky but it's perfectly doable and you're not expected to get 100% Just brush up on BBC Bitesize and you'll be fine. Dress smartly, smile at the interviewers, get eye contact, read the pre read, make sure you know about Sure start and other health stuff in the news. If they make you an offer, they like you and will prob still accept you even if you miss a grade or two. :smile:

Thankyou im going to revise revise revise :smile: Are you doing nursng at southampton atm ?? if so which branch ?

Quick Reply

Latest