The Student Room Group

Official 'Gappies' Thread for 2011-2012 :D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
does anyone know the benefits of gap years?
Original post by kiyubi

You don't spend 8 years of your life doing straight exams!
Reply 262
Original post by PeaceFreak
You don't spend 8 years of your life doing straight exams!

whaat!
Original post by kiyubi
whaat!

GCSE, AS, A2 , Uni exams... can last up to 8 years if you're doing a long course! A gap year gives you a nice break :tongue:
Original post by kiyubi

In my experience:
1. Gives you a chance to think about what you really want to do. I applied for party cities the first time I went, but on my Gap Year, I discovered that really wasn't for me, and as a result applied to more campus based, less party universities.
2. Gives you a chance to earn money. I am now in the best accommodation my Uni offers because I saved up. I have an en suite and a double bed... =]
3. Meet new people! I met loads of new friends at my job and also met my boyfriend who I've been in a relationship with for nearly 18 mnths. This isn't guaranteed, but a flat mate of mine went travelling and met loads of new people as well, so...
4. Break from studying! Definitely worth it.
5. Some you time. Another flat mate spent her Gap Year improving herself - learning to drive, doing things she enjoyed. She had no idea what to do at the end of college, so she just went on a Gap Year and learnt more about herself.
Reply 265
Original post by skunky x
In my experience:
1. Gives you a chance to think about what you really want to do. I applied for party cities the first time I went, but on my Gap Year, I discovered that really wasn't for me, and as a result applied to more campus based, less party universities.
2. Gives you a chance to earn money. I am now in the best accommodation my Uni offers because I saved up. I have an en suite and a double bed... =]
3. Meet new people! I met loads of new friends at my job and also met my boyfriend who I've been in a relationship with for nearly 18 mnths. This isn't guaranteed, but a flat mate of mine went travelling and met loads of new people as well, so...
4. Break from studying! Definitely worth it.
5. Some you time. Another flat mate spent her Gap Year improving herself - learning to drive, doing things she enjoyed. She had no idea what to do at the end of college, so she just went on a Gap Year and learnt more about herself.

thanks for the advise
Anyone going travelling with STA?
Reply 267
Aaah finally found a 11/12 gap year thread! Hey everyone hope everyone is enjoying their gap year. I have exams in a few months but I can't find much to do in the meanwhile that isn't unbelievably expensive! Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I've been learning to cook quite a bit but other than that, its a bit limited and dull at the moment...
Reply 268
Finally found the geap year thread again **
Original post by harvie_316
anyone in Kuala lumpa at the moment?

I am! :smile: You mean Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia right?
I'm in Kuala Lumpur too now.
Reply 271
just out of curiousity, are any of you guys on a gap year who aren't working claiming job seeker's allowance?

I have a saturday job and it hardly gets me by just wondering if its beneficial

any advice is great!

Has anyone done anything interesting in the new year? or are hoping to?
Original post by Inspire12
just out of curiousity, are any of you guys on a gap year who aren't working claiming job seeker's allowance?

I have a saturday job and it hardly gets me by just wondering if its beneficial

any advice is great!

Has anyone done anything interesting in the new year? or are hoping to?

I'm on a gap year and on JSA. You can claim if you are working under 16 hours a week. I'd definitely advise you to do it, as it is an extra bit of money that you could save for uni or just to help you live on :h:
Reply 273
getting so bored of my gap year! starting to wish i hadnt taken one now :frown:

I've got my uni place sorted for September but i'm just doing nothing at the moment! There are no jobs going around my area so i can't afford to do anything. ugggh! i cant spend the next 6 months doing nothing :frown: such a waste... i should of planned this a bit better ¬_¬
Original post by loulou111
getting so bored of my gap year! starting to wish i hadnt taken one now :frown:

I've got my uni place sorted for September but i'm just doing nothing at the moment! There are no jobs going around my area so i can't afford to do anything. ugggh! i cant spend the next 6 months doing nothing :frown: such a waste... i should of planned this a bit better ¬_¬

Same :sad: but I didn't really have a choice about taking my gap year because I dropped out of my previous uni. I'm fed up of applying for jobs. Just hoping the next 6 months go quickly, I even have a countdown clock counting down the days. 188 days to go :rolleyes:
Reply 275
Original post by DellaLouise
Same :sad: but I didn't really have a choice about taking my gap year because I dropped out of my previous uni. I'm fed up of applying for jobs. Just hoping the next 6 months go quickly, I even have a countdown clock counting down the days. 188 days to go :rolleyes:

i decided to take a year out as i had the choice of going to my wubbish 2nd choice uni or taking a gap year and getting in somewhere better :tongue: im tired of filling out application forms and geting nowhere :frown: got a lovely rejection from republic today :rolleyes: aaaah it would go too slowly for me if i started a countdown :biggrin: i attempt to keep myself busy but im running out of things to do :P may start doing some voluntary work until i can get a job :tongue:
Reply 276
Hi guys!
I'm new to this website and thought it'd be a great opportunity as I'm writing a feature on gap year experiences from students for an assignment

If you've travelled abroad or even if you are still planning to and haven't gone to university yet, worked or something different then it'd be great if you could share your experiences with me!

Thanks !

Rachael
Reply 277
Hi,

I've applied for a course and got all my 5 offers, but after post offer visits, i've realised it's really not what i want to do. So i tried to change course but my firm said it's too late. So basically means i do a course i dont want to or take a gap year. I'm really bummed because i really had my heart set on uni this year :frown: Is there any advice to try and make it seem like a good thing?? I know lots of people are excited for theirs but i just feel so down about it right now and can't think of anything that will make me feel better about this.

Thankssss :smile:
Reply 278
Original post by DellaLouise
I'm on a gap year and on JSA. You can claim if you are working under 16 hours a week. I'd definitely advise you to do it, as it is an extra bit of money that you could save for uni or just to help you live on :h:

Hi, just wondering because I'm working part time would my employers find out if I get JSA? Because I don't want them to know :/ And someone told methat if you do get jobseekers, its stays on your record, as in you have to let your future employers know you've had JSA? Sorry for all the questions
Reply 279
Hi guys
i am thinking of doing a gap year (apply 2013)
does anyone have any ideas (i am a medic :biggrin:)
cheers

Quick Reply

Latest