The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tm00131

You will get the days off you have booked off, because you have been granted the time off. Your unlikely to get shifts to replace them though as the schedule has already been done, so unless they have extra shifts going or need cover, then you may lose out.

Dining area is something which a lot of people hate, but when you get the hang of it, it can become really easy the majority of the time. Keep on top of bin emptying, table cleaning, trays, sweeping etc and it is so much easier. The difficult thing about DA is the hospitality side, it's too easy to walk around looking bored and wishing you were on till/in the kitchen. But you can meet some lovely customers and sometimes I've found myself having to say "as much as I'd love to keep chatting, I should probably get some work done" after spending ages talking. :P

Original post by Ronda
If you want shifts the two days you can work, how about trying to get some of the shifts swapped with someone else first? If not, you'll be entitled to the days you'd been granted off, but they may not be able to give you shifts to replace them.

As for DA, try talking to customers! I hate DA too, but I find if I make an effort to talk to customers and see how they're doing, it's not so bad. I've found that old people are always very happy to have a chat, and they really appreciate it too. Also try offering kids balloons and stuff, I love blowing up balloons for some reason and it gives me something to do other than being concerned about cleaning stuff.

Thanks, I got it sorted, tried to get people to swap but it failed so now no shifts next week, didn't think I would get any but still *sigh* ah well, I have my birthday weekend off at least.

Oh I like balloon blowing up! That was the best bit! It was just the OMG what on earth am I supposed to do? Please stop shouting at me and just explain else I'm never going to be able to do it. (My store is really bad at training :/) Had a couple of nice customers though, just didn't really appreciate it at the time (!), one kid drew me a picture cos I gave her a balloon which was nice. :smile:
Reply 6061
Crew night out tonight :biggrin: Although, I'm in at 9 tomorrow morning, so won't be too late a night for me. Haven't got a single close next week, not happened like that in a loooong time. Latest finish of 6pm! Then an open on Saturday followed by Sunday off which will be nice. Although, it's a 6:30 start with a manager who can't get in till 7 so no idea how that will work!

We also got a new till system installed on Monday night. Was so funny being in on Tuesday and not many people knowing how to work it! I'd used it in another store before, but was so weird just getting used to it! I don't like the new KVS screen though. Don't like how it doesn't change colour when it's been paid for, and since I'm small, if I'm on the UHC I can't see when I can serve it off unless I look at the screen by the toaster which is annoying.
FFS. Does this situation not end?

After winning, and getting my 2 months off... My shift manager has put me into a shift next week. ARGH.

I might send a letter. Because it's better than not turning up, but I am not calling because that re-opens negotiations. We're past negotiations now, you lost SM. Your boss said to get my shifts covered that you so kindly gave me on purpose between telling you I wanted no shifts, and giving the letter to your boss, so F OFF.

Edit: I almost didn't even look at the scheduling. I might just act like I haven't. I had no reason to, as it was decided that I was not working.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6063
Original post by Ronda
We also got a new till system installed on Monday night. Was so funny being in on Tuesday and not many people knowing how to work it! I'd used it in another store before, but was so weird just getting used to it! I don't like the new KVS screen though. Don't like how it doesn't change colour when it's been paid for, and since I'm small, if I'm on the UHC I can't see when I can serve it off unless I look at the screen by the toaster which is annoying.
A new till system? I'm intrigued! :tongue: What's different about it?
The KVS thing sounds silly though.

I've been getting particularly annoyed lately (mainly because I'm always on chicken side these days!) at people being totally till illiterate. I had someone on tills putting through a legend, then it'd change to two legends about twenty seconds later. Then one would be grilled to plain/no lettuce/whatever and then another ten or twenty seconds later the first legend gets voided. The same thing happened about three times during the one lunch time.
Was not a happy bunny!
Same when managers just walk off and start assembling their orders without taking the money so I can't bump it off the screen. Yet they're the ones who harp on about service times :mad:
Reply 6064
Original post by Stacks

I've been getting particularly annoyed lately (mainly because I'm always on chicken side these days!) at people being totally till illiterate. I had someone on tills putting through a legend, then it'd change to two legends about twenty seconds later. Then one would be grilled to plain/no lettuce/whatever and then another ten or twenty seconds later the first legend gets voided. The same thing happened about three times during the one lunch time.
Was not a happy bunny!
Same when managers just walk off and start assembling their orders without taking the money so I can't bump it off the screen. Yet they're the ones who harp on about service times :mad:

I've used it and I don't think it is better or worse, just different. I think its more intuitive to learn, and the grill system is different, you can add or take off certain things, depending on the item, but you can't say add lettuce to a cheeseburger (or you couldn't when I used it 18 months ago). The Bop screen is better in my opinion, I find it clearer. you can bring up the previous 8 orders up easily too, as with the old system sometimes they disappear.

I'm one of them people who assemble orders then take payment if they are small and don't have money ready. the 1.99 high street vouchers are good for doing it with, as you put it together in seconds and then they're amazed at having it as soon as they give you the cash. :P
Reply 6065
Hi, I had my interview yesterday and then a few hours later got rang up that I had got the job. I was told to go to a welcome meeting. Firstly, what type of clothing shall I wear? I was thinking black shoes, black trousers and a shirt. And secondly, when they say bring your bank details do I just bring my debit card?

Cheers, Alex.
Reply 6066
Original post by tm00131
I've used it and I don't think it is better or worse, just different. I think its more intuitive to learn, and the grill system is different, you can add or take off certain things, depending on the item, but you can't say add lettuce to a cheeseburger (or you couldn't when I used it 18 months ago). The Bop screen is better in my opinion, I find it clearer. you can bring up the previous 8 orders up easily too, as with the old system sometimes they disappear.

I'm one of them people who assemble orders then take payment if they are small and don't have money ready. the 1.99 high street vouchers are good for doing it with, as you put it together in seconds and then they're amazed at having it as soon as they give you the cash. :P

So the menu looks pretty much the same then? I've spent too long memorising where everything is on our tills don't think I could deal with change! Though I did get told we were meant to be getting a new till system 'soon'. Although my store is meant to be getting a lot of things soon...apparently.

The grill system sounds a bit what like ours is like with delis, it lists all of the ingredients and sauces but on any other items grill you won't see sweet and tangy sauce for example. Suppose that makes it better for when you have some customers completely change the food they order though.

The high street vouchers are normally fine since they're dealt with quickly. It's when your timer turns red and you still can't serve it off and the KVS isn't ringing to tell you that you've got new orders is what annoys me.

Original post by Bulleowl
Hi, I had my interview yesterday and then a few hours later got rang up that I had got the job. I was told to go to a welcome meeting. Firstly, what type of clothing shall I wear? I was thinking black shoes, black trousers and a shirt. And secondly, when they say bring your bank details do I just bring my debit card?

Cheers, Alex.

You can wear anything you like. All you do is sit down, watch a video and sign some papers. Almost everyone at mine just wore casual clothing.
For your bank details they need your account number and sort code I think, but your debit card should have those listed on the front of it.
Reply 6067
Original post by Stacks

You can wear anything you like. All you do is sit down, watch a video and sign some papers. Almost everyone at mine just wore casual clothing.
For your bank details they need your account number and sort code I think, but your debit card should have those listed on the front of it.

Cheers
Only started a couple of weeks ago, and yeah, some questions.
How much does a till retraining slip matter?
How flexible are they with booking time off work? I'm going away for a month in July, and wondering if they'll just give me the time off. And when should I book it?
Also, exams in May. Not sure whether to book the two weeks off, or to just ask for like one shift per week?
Thaaaank you!
Reply 6069
Original post by Stacks

Was not a happy bunny!

It's laid out a lot neater. And you don't need the manager card to void off any orders! And you can upgrade things to a meal, so if someone said "I want a Big Mac" then after you've put it through, they decide they want a meal then you can upgrade it rather than voiding it then putting the meal through. And it when putting through grills it only lets you put through grills for the actual ingredients, so no more hamburgers no lettuce coming through! There is an 'ask me' button though, if a customer wants like a tomato on their Big Mac or something.

Now that the new till system is in, our till numbers have all changed. It used to go 7 1 2 3 4 5 6, but now it's in number order. So people are getting confused when it comes to delis and grills on who's is coming first.

With those things it's usually the customer though! The worst is when you're serving a customer who's taking their time oohing and ahhing at the menu, then you hear whoever's on chicken shouting "HURRY UP TILL 3!", it's not my fault!
Reply 6070
Original post by Unobstructed Views
How flexible are they with booking time off work? I'm going away for a month in July, and wondering if they'll just give me the time off. And when should I book it?
Also, exams in May. Not sure whether to book the two weeks off, or to just ask for like one shift per week?
Thaaaank you!

At my store they don't seem to matter that much (not that they get handed out any more anyway) but I got a lot of them during one time, literally every other shift I was on I'd get a retraining slip and nothing ever happened. Although it was clearly not my fault anyway, funny how I'd always have my till spot on or up or down literally a couple of pence but then pounds were suddenly missing, I put it down to certain managers.

They're pretty flexible with time off, they don't like giving time off during December because that's our busiest period. I'd book your time off ASAP though just in case other people at your store are wanting time off then. I think it's meant to be for every week you want off you should give them twice that in notice. So you should be giving two months notice :P

It's up to you with your exam situation. In my eyes working one shift a week shouldn't affect your exam performance but if you feel it will then you should just ask not to be scheduled then. Better to take time off than regret not having the time off and regretting your results.
Original post by Ronda
It's laid out a lot neater. And you don't need the manager card to void off any orders! And you can upgrade things to a meal, so if someone said "I want a Big Mac" then after you've put it through, they decide they want a meal then you can upgrade it rather than voiding it then putting the meal through. And it when putting through grills it only lets you put through grills for the actual ingredients, so no more hamburgers no lettuce coming through! There is an 'ask me' button though, if a customer wants like a tomato on their Big Mac or something.

Now that the new till system is in, our till numbers have all changed. It used to go 7 1 2 3 4 5 6, but now it's in number order. So people are getting confused when it comes to delis and grills on who's is coming first.

With those things it's usually the customer though! The worst is when you're serving a customer who's taking their time oohing and ahhing at the menu, then you hear whoever's on chicken shouting "HURRY UP TILL 3!", it's not my fault!

Ooh that does sounds neat! One of our franchise group must have it cos I was in their store (months ago admittedly) and the girl voided something and I didn't even hear the noise of a card being swiped.
Swear my store is always the last place to get everything :frown:

I just tend to mutter various obscenities under my breath, my store would not be best pleased at us shouting at front. Do love myself an awkward customer though. They definitely get worse during Monopoly season.
"Excuse me I ordered this Big Mac plain but there's no cheese on it!" :facepalm2:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Unobstructed Views
Thaaaank you!

Aim for a month in advance so that they can't fuss for July.

If you look over the previous posts.. I've been having 'issues' trying to sort it out. So just a word of warning for you. I would suggest asking for the 2 weeks off, just in case your McD is as awful as mine in going against you! You don't want to risk them giving you a shift every other day.
Original post by Ronda
Crew night out tonight :biggrin: Although, I'm in at 9 tomorrow morning, so won't be too late a night for me. Haven't got a single close next week, not happened like that in a loooong time. Latest finish of 6pm! Then an open on Saturday followed by Sunday off which will be nice. Although, it's a 6:30 start with a manager who can't get in till 7 so no idea how that will work!

we've had the new till system for a while now, everyone hates it :P
Reply 6073
Can anyone tell me which colour tray fillets and fish fingers are supposed to go on? We only have the one white tray because we rarely sell fish, but I'm going for my manager oje tomorrow and my BM mentions about fillets a fish fingers being on different coloured trays, but he couldn't tell me which was which!
Reply 6074
Original post by Ronda
Can anyone tell me which colour tray fillets and fish fingers are supposed to go on? We only have the one white tray because we rarely sell fish, but I'm going for my manager oje tomorrow and my BM mentions about fillets a fish fingers being on different coloured trays, but he couldn't tell me which was which!

Blue for fish fingers- the sea is blue and fish swim in it

White for fillets as fillets of cod are white

That's how I got taught to remember on my first shift :P
Reply 6075
Original post by WdA04

Or white for filets as you add salt to them and salt is white. That's how I remember it.
Reply 6076
Original post by WdA04

Original post by tm00131
Or white for filets as you add salt to them and salt is white. That's how I remember it.

Thanks! We did have a blue tray months ago, but we'd always used that for veg until we got the green trays, and then the blue one just vanished. I never even knew they were supposed to be in separate trays until my BM mentioned it!
Hi, i got a job at the arniston centre mcdonalds and went for the welcome meeting on monday the 26th of march, i was told i would be called with my shifts but its over 2 weeks later and i've still not heard anything.

The manager that did the welcome meeting gave everyone her number to ring if they have any problems but everytime i have tryed calling there has been no answer, ive also tryed checking mctime but it says my email isnt registered with that stores HR department :/ can anyone help me?
Reply 6078
Original post by jcameron93
Hi, i got a job at the arniston centre mcdonalds and went for the welcome meeting on monday the 26th of march, i was told i would be called with my shifts but its over 2 weeks later and i've still not heard anything.

The manager that did the welcome meeting gave everyone her number to ring if they have any problems but everytime i have tryed calling there has been no answer, ive also tryed checking mctime but it says my email isnt registered with that stores HR department :/ can anyone help me?

Phone the store rather than the manager. Or even go in, mistakes happen and they may of forgotten.
Original post by tm00131
Phone the store rather than the manager. Or even go in, mistakes happen and they may of forgotten.

i cant find the stores number anywhere, im going to be up near it tonight so was going to pop in an ask to speak to a manager

Latest