The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Nfergs
No, the original question was To what extent do social and economic inequalities continue to exist in the UK?', from 2007. However as I was writing my essay plan I got stuck on government policies to reduce social class and regional inequalities. I ended up just leaving out the government policies bit out for regional inequalities since it didn't seem all that important. Plus if a question like this does appear, I doubt it will ask for all inequalities (hopefully).

You should of said it like that then. You really confused me:confused:
Thats one of the essay questions i did and got it marked by my teacher. I dont think you need to worry about the policies that have been introduced to help reduce regional inequalities but you can mention the regional inequalities(geography) that still exist.

So basically i got 12 marks on that essay and what i did was,

-Intro
-Main body- I wrote about 3 inequalities that exist in the UK, funny enough regional was the one i wrote about first and the other 2 i wrote about was gender inequalities and race inequalities.
-Then i talked about how gender inequalities is no longer an issue in the UK ( doesnt really make sense as i just mentioned before that there is still gender inequalities but my teacher said just write it lol)In that bit i just wrote about how girls are now more likely to become higher achievers at school and that the gender pay gap has been reduced.
-Then just do one more paragraph talking about how child tax credit has allowed single parents on low incomes to gain more money to help bring up there children then a statistic.
-Conclusion
Reply 61
An advantage of FPTP is that there is a higher voter turnout but has anyone got an example or statistic to show that this is true???
Reply 62
Original post by Brad22
Hi there,

Have just being looking over the politics of the course and have found that I am not sure about the decision making in central government part.

As there is speculation of a POWERS OF THE PM question coming up does anyone have good notes on this topic or essay examples/plans as I am simply confused about how I would write an essay on this.

Thanks again.

I have 3 essay plans which I can send you for this question. One just on the powers of the PM, another on Powers of the PM but with limits from Cabinet, and the last on Powers of the PM but with limits from Parliament. Also, the Parliament one is slightly longer as it's 2 essay plans in 1 since a question could possibly ask the influence of Parliament or just backbencher MPs on limiting the powers of the PM. :grin:
Reply 63
Original post by StudyAk
You should of said it like that then. You really confused me:confused:
Thats one of the essay questions i did and got it marked by my teacher. I dont think you need to worry about the policies that have been introduced to help reduce regional inequalities but you can mention the regional inequalities(geography) that still exist.

So basically i got 12 marks on that essay and what i did was,

-Intro
-Main body- I wrote about 3 inequalities that exist in the UK, funny enough regional was the one i wrote about first and the other 2 i wrote about was gender inequalities and race inequalities.
-Then i talked about how gender inequalities is no longer an issue in the UK ( doesnt really make sense as i just mentioned before that there is still gender inequalities but my teacher said just write it lol)In that bit i just wrote about how girls are now more likely to become higher achievers at school and that the gender pay gap has been reduced.
-Then just do one more paragraph talking about how child tax credit has allowed single parents on low incomes to gain more money to help bring up there children then a statistic.
-Conclusion

I literally wrote stuff on every single inequality. Oh well, I guess it's extra revision and backup if a specific named factor question comes up. :rolleyes:
Reply 64
Original post by Nfergs
I literally wrote stuff on every single inequality. Oh well, I guess it's extra revision and backup if a specific named factor question comes up. :rolleyes:

ah ok. Hope i helped. Remember you get around 22 minutes for each essay so you won't have enough time to write about all inequalities. Around 2 pages including introuduction and conclusion with good up to date examples can get you atleast 11 marks on your essay, rest depends on how moody your marker is:mad::biggrin:
Reply 65
Original post by StudyAk
ah ok. Hope i helped. Remember you get around 22 minutes for each essay so you won't have enough time to write about all inequalities. Around 2 pages including introuduction and conclusion with good up to date examples can get you atleast 11 marks on your essay, rest depends on how moody your marker is:mad::biggrin:

Well that's my main problem, I try to write all factors/inequalities and run out of time. Therefore, do I mention all the inequalities in the introduction, and only focus on a few in the body. Or do I only mention the inequalities that I'm going to write about in the essay? Sometimes I don't even signpost. It depends on the essay question.
For Africa is it aid?
Original post by S119234
I went to that conference, genuinely the worst thing I have ever sat through, was so boring.

They didn't really hint at anything to be honest with you, I'd suggest your teacher is getting that hint because the opening presentation was about voting behaviour, and equally, it was dreadful.

I went to the conference in 2011 and I was so bored!!! Waste of money I thought hence why I didn't go this year:smile:
Reply 68
Original post by Nfergs
Well that's my main problem, I try to write all factors/inequalities and run out of time. Therefore, do I mention all the inequalities in the introduction, and only focus on a few in the body. Or do I only mention the inequalities that I'm going to write about in the essay? Sometimes I don't even signpost. It depends on the essay question.

You don't have to write about all the inequalities in the introduction or the essay. In that essay, for the introudction i didn't even write any examples of inequalities. It probably does make sense if you did write inequalities you are going to talk about in your essay but it doesnt matter. You can even say inequalities in your introduction that you wont actually talk about in your essay.

This is exactly what i wrote for my introduction

"It can be said that there are many social and economic inequalities that continue to exist in the uk (*then here you can say inequalities that you will talk about in your essay or just inequalities in general but i never*), however it must be considered if government policies have been successful in attempting to reduce these inequalities"

Then i did 3 inequalities that exist
Then 2 small paragraphs how policies have been met.
Like i said before you can get high marks by just writing 2 pages
Reply 69
Original post by Laurendick.17
For Africa is it aid?

It could be about aid in general or maybe powers of president. We are prediciting, you make it seem like we have seen the paper:colone::colone::colone:
Reply 70
Original post by StudyAk
You don't have to write about all the inequalities in the introduction or the essay. In that essay, for the introudction i didn't even write any examples of inequalities. It probably does make sense if you did write inequalities you are going to talk about in your essay but it doesnt matter. You can even say inequalities in your introduction that you wont actually talk about in your essay.

This is exactly what i wrote for my introduction

"It can be said that there are many social and economic inequalities that continue to exist in the uk (*then here you can say inequalities that you will talk about in your essay or just inequalities in general but i never*), however it must be considered if government policies have been successful in attempting to reduce these inequalities"

Then i did 3 inequalities that exist
Then 2 small paragraphs how policies have been met.
Like i said before you can get high marks by just writing 2 pages

Ok then. I'll just need to train my brain to get used to not writing everything!
Reply 71
Ok so reading through the thread is it fair to assume that this is what the questions are likely to be on:

Section A
A2- Powers/limitations of PM
OR
Pressure Groups
A4- Electoral Systems - FPTP, AMS, STV..
OR
Voting behavior - influenced by media etc

Section B
Wealth question - gender/ethnic inequalities
Health question - NHS?

Section C
C9- President powers/limitations
OR
Ethnic minority participation and importance in elections

Cheers for any help
Original post by Malmo's
Ok so reading through the thread is it fair to assume that this is what the questions are likely to be on:

Section A
A2- Powers/limitations of PM
OR
Pressure Groups
A4- Electoral Systems - FPTP, AMS, STV..
OR
Voting behavior - influenced by media etc

Section B
Wealth question - gender/ethnic inequalities
Health question - NHS?

Section C
C9- President powers/limitations
OR
Ethnic minority participation and importance in elections

Cheers for any help

so hope these are the quesitons that do come up! Planned an essay for every one of these questions and got my essays for them marked. Just hope the questions arent like anything like last years paper as that was ridiculous!
can someone explain the Barnett Formula- preferably with an example if possible ??
Reply 74
I think it's unlikely that for A2 it will be powers of the PM and C9 to also be powers of the President. It will be one or the other, unless someone gives me a past paper where this has happened before. :beard:
Reply 75
Original post by Nfergs
I think it's unlikely that for A2 it will be powers of the PM and C9 to also be powers of the President. It will be one or the other, unless someone gives me a past paper where this has happened before. :beard:

Good point, any idea what the likely alternatives would be then?
Reply 76
Original post by Malmo's
Good point, any idea what the likely alternatives would be then?

For A2 it might be powers/limits of the PM or media’s influence/power over Central Government and decision-making.
For C9 powers/limits of the President or something to do with ethnic minorities and politics.
Reply 77
looking at last year's paper makes me incredibly sad - almost every single one of my best questions came up! i'd probably kill for a pressure groups question!
Original post by dontlikehighers
so hope these are the quesitons that do come up! Planned an essay for every one of these questions and got my essays for them marked. Just hope the questions arent like anything like last years paper as that was ridiculous!

What was so bad about last years paper?
Can't say it was any harder than any other paper I've seen to be honest
Reply 79
dontlikehighers

Original post by scottish19
What was so bad about last years paper?
Can't say it was any harder than any other paper I've seen to be honest

I agree, the voting behaviour question was a gift! However, the USA question seemed reasonably difficult.

Latest

Trending

Trending