The Student Room Group

5 AS levels

i just started college and chose to do 5 AS's in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Computing. is that too much? im more of a relaxed student but i do get good grades if i try. i dont want to be overloaded with work. will this be too much? and i feel very tired after only 2 weeks in college. advice??:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eb786
i just started college and chose to do 5 AS's in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Computing. is that too much? im more of a relaxed student but i do get good grades if i try. i dont want to be overloaded with work. will this be too much? and i feel very tired after only 2 weeks in college. advice??:confused:

I did 7 and came out with 7As (6 of them being over 90%) so it is definitely very doable. You do have to put in the work outside of lessons though, simply because there is so much to keep up with.
Original post by eb786

I did the same but with Biology instead of computing. You'll get through AS fine enough, even with an average amount of work. However, I advise you not to continue doing 5 at A2, unless you are prepared to do massive amounts of revision. I made the mistake of doing 5 and my grades took a hit because of it. Still got into medicine though:biggrin:
Reply 3
HI,

im doing the same as you apart from im doing bio instead of computing. I too am finding it EXHAUSTING , i came home today, and felt sooo tired!! So much bloody hmk today, and finding physics really hard :frown: And F maths is just fast.
Reply 4
Original post by **GOD_IS_GREAT**
I did the same but with Biology instead of computing. You'll get through AS fine enough, even with an average amount of work. However, I advise you not to continue doing 5 at A2, unless you are prepared to do massive amounts of revision. I made the mistake of doing 5 and my grades took a hit because of it. Still got into medicine though:biggrin:

Wow!! which med school are you going too? (I too want to do medicine). :smile:
Original post by eb786

It sounds like you already know the answer ...

If you are prepared to work pretty hard then the answer is easy, drop Computing.

There is not a single course that the inclusion of computing will give you any kind of advantage for.

solved!!
Reply 6
Original post by fudgesundae
I did 7 and came out with 7As (6 of them being over 90%) so it is definitely very doable. You do have to put in the work outside of lessons though, simply because there is so much to keep up with.

Wow :eek: congradulations. Im just curious, how many lessons per week did you have of each subject?
I did the same as many of the above, all the same as you but with biology instead of computing. With trying to hold up a part time job, get adaqueate work experience (I applied for Vet Med) and added pressure of just generally everythng else I found it too much :\
I took 4 to Alevel (and did an EPQ) and survived ok, but remember it's ok to start with 5 and decidie you want to drop one if it's too much - thats where I went wrong - I was too stubborn to give up f maths and it affected the rest of my results.
But if you have the stamia, and the motivation (trust me you need a frickin' lot of it!!!) then go for it! I know people who took 5 to alevel and got really good grades so it is do-able.
Depends on who you are, but honestly, another thing if it is too much - is that most uni's don't look overly at your AS' but want Alevels - and most want only 3 (yes everyone says it - but its true - even oxbridge only look at 3) so if it'll affect your grades because it's too much, drop the one you don't like/are finding hardest to be motivated for :smile:

On another note; welcome to two years of pain & misery ;P I hope it pays off for you :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by I_like_yumyums
I did the same as many of the above, all the same as you but with biology instead of computing. With trying to hold up a part time job, get adaqueate work experience (I applied for Vet Med) and added pressure of just generally everythng else I found it too much :\
I took 4 to Alevel (and did an EPQ) and survived ok, but remember it's ok to start with 5 and decidie you want to drop one if it's too much - thats where I went wrong - I was too stubborn to give up f maths and it affected the rest of my results.
But if you have the stamia, and the motivation (trust me you need a frickin' lot of it!!!) then go for it! I know people who took 5 to alevel and got really good grades so it is do-able.
Depends on who you are, but honestly, another thing if it is too much - is that most uni's don't look overly at your AS' but want Alevels - and most want only 3 (yes everyone says it - but its true - even oxbridge only look at 3) so if it'll affect your grades because it's too much, drop the one you don't like/are finding hardest to be motivated for :smile:

On another note; welcome to two years of pain & misery ;P I hope it pays off for you :smile:

Oh dear... this sounds a bit grim! Thanks for the encouragement lol! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by fudgesundae

But why would you do 7??! Or indeed even five?? Some one I know did 5 an came out with CDDDD :s-smilie:
Original post by master y

Oh dear... this sounds a bit grim! Thanks for the encouragement lol! :smile:

Haha! Sorry :\ You might love it! You never know....
I won't lie it is stressful but I enjoyed learning things, and everything in my 5 subjects interlinked so it was pretty awesome :smile:
On a real plus you can feel knowledgably superior to your friends :wink: No I kid; don't boast - boasting is bad - they'll just mock you if you fail - which you won't :biggrin:
Original post by Pixie_95
Wow :eek: congradulations. Im just curious, how many lessons per week did you have of each subject?

We have 40 40 minutes lessons in a week. I had 9 for Maths + FM. 7 each for Biology, Chemistry, German and Economics. 2 for General Studies and Critical Thinking combined. Then 2 free periods.

Just realised that's 8 :tongue:. Although General studies and critical thinking don't count that much.

Original post by nmudz_009
But why would you do 7??! Or indeed even five?? Some one I know did 5 an came out with CDDDD :s-smilie:

I got bored with doing 4.
Reply 12
Original post by eb786

I did 5 too.
Maths, chemistry, biology, computing + psychology
It does mean you sacrifice some marks in your subjects as you're spreading youself thin but I'm a v. relaxed student and managed it for the year so work hard during exam times and you should get the grades you deserve :smile:
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
It sounds like you already know the answer ...

If you are prepared to work pretty hard then the answer is easy, drop Computing.

There is not a single course that the inclusion of computing will give you any kind of advantage for.

solved!!

Technically wrong. But I get what you mean :biggrin:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/computer_science/computer_science__1.html
A-levels: A*AA
The A* must be obtained in Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics or Computing.
Reply 14
This is madness. Nothing but Medicine asks for 4 AS levels, 5 is just out of the question.
My opinion? Stop showing off and get on with 4, ace them if you must!

Erm, no, quite correct.

Let me Explain ....
The OP is doing
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Computing
I said drop computing, well by my reckoning that leaves him with
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics .

Do I need to explain further??
Reply 16
thanks everyone for the advice. so i might consider dropping computing. but i was wondering do uni's see maths seperate from f.maths?? because if im dropping computing then im doing 3 SUBJECTS if you get what im saying
Reply 17
Original post by eb786
thanks everyone for the advice. so i might consider dropping computing. but i was wondering do uni's see maths seperate from f.maths?? because if im dropping computing then im doing 3 SUBJECTS if you get what im saying

If you work hard the end result will be very rewarding. I know quite a number of students who took 5 As's and got 5A's.
It is definitely worth it if you want to maximise your potential.

However, if you think 5 is working against you (only you will know), then I suggest you stick to 4 and get good grades in them instead of continuing with 5.
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
Erm, no, quite correct.

Let me Explain ....
The OP is doing
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Computing
I said drop computing, well by my reckoning that leaves him with
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics .

Do I need to explain further??

Well, if we look at all possibilities, OP might get AAAA in maths, further maths, physics, chemistry.. and an A* in computing.
If he got an offer from Ox to do CompSci and if he just had maths, f maths, physics, chemistry, he wouldn't have met his offer.
Who knows? extra Computing might be useful in the future
Reply 19
In my opinion you are actually doing 5, cause I count Maths and Further Maths as one. If you can do FM then Maths is piss easy

Quick Reply

Latest