The Student Room Group

Aqa sociology unit 4 crime & deviance- january 27th 2012 !!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by AJ-OD
sorry for butting in , but my teacher said 'crime and age, realist, suicide, social control, social construction' for the crime bit...as these aint come up in the past yet

Hey :smile:
What's social construction we haven't looked at that unless it's named differently
Gotta feeling globalization might come up
Wouldn't mind it being on realism loads to write and stuff
What do you think the 33 marker will be on?
Reply 81
Original post by pearls

Original post by pearls
Hey :smile:
What's social construction we haven't looked at that unless it's named differently
Gotta feeling globalization might come up
Wouldn't mind it being on realism loads to write and stuff
What do you think the 33 marker will be on?

Most of us have the feeling globalisation and labelling will be in the exam...lets hope we are right lol otherwise .... for the 33 marks i think is going to be either functionalism, marxism or interactionism with functionalism having more chances.

Social construc means that society gives meaning to their actions, i.e. for example what is crime here in the uk might well not be it somewhere else. For example poligamy is a crime in here however its acceptable in asian countries so society defines what crime is or not for them. You would link this concept to labelling theory.
Reply 82
has anybody else had to learn the structure agency debate or alternate theories on methodolgy? my teacher has made us learn them but the dont seem to be on the specification...
also, does anybody know what needs to be include on a globalisation essay?
Reply 83
Original post by Donw
nah mate, its only two 21 mark questions (on crime + deviance) one 15 marker methods and a 33 marker :smile:

You've confused me even more bro. =S
You're saying its.

Crime and deviance = 21 mark Q + 21 mark Q

Theories and sociological methods = 15 mark Q + 33 mark Q
Reply 84
Original post by gfm
Most of us have the feeling globalisation and labelling will be in the exam...lets hope we are right lol otherwise .... for the 33 marks i think is going to be either functionalism, marxism or interactionism with functionalism having more chances.

Social construc means that society gives meaning to their actions, i.e. for example what is crime here in the uk might well not be it somewhere else. For example poligamy is a crime in here however its acceptable in asian countries so society defines what crime is or not for them. You would link this concept to labelling theory.

Ah right thanks
I wouldnt mind social action theory coming up not a fan of Marxism tbh
Reply 85
Original post by MiahMaster
You've confused me even more bro. =S
You're saying its.

Crime and deviance = 21 mark Q + 21 mark Q

Theories and sociological methods = 15 mark Q + 33 mark Q

The crime and deviance section will have 2 questions, both only on crime and deviance, each worth 21 marcks, so lets say ethnicity and gender

secondly the methods in context will only have 1 question, 15 marks

and lastly there will be one qs on theory and methods part, 33 marks

in total 4 qs
hope that helps
Reply 86
Original post by beccaa:)
has anybody else had to learn the structure agency debate or alternate theories on methodolgy? my teacher has made us learn them but the dont seem to be on the specification...

No, i havent looked at the structure agency debate but i think the theories on methods part you were saying will be the positivists and interpretivists debate

Globalisation: i would probably inc links to the global crime around the world, global risk consciousness and opportunities within capitalism and lower classes,
the patterns within crime (links to globalisation) and you could make links to green/state crimes

do you have the aqa text book?, its quite nicely presented there

hope this helps (probaly not though lol)
Reply 87
Original post by jordan9
The crime and deviance section will have 2 questions, both only on crime and deviance, each worth 21 marcks, so lets say ethnicity and gender

secondly the methods in context will only have 1 question, 15 marks

and lastly there will be one qs on theory and methods part, 33 marks

in total 4 qs
hope that helps

So thats what i just said? =D Finally i understood! So there will be 90 marks?
Does anyone have any essay questions on Globalisation or Labelling? =]
Reply 88
Yeaah does anybody have an essay on globalisation?!?!

or can anyone give any idea of how to structure it out?!
Original post by beccaa:)

No ive never heard of that structure agency debate :s-smilie: i have no idea what that is.. for method things we just refer to positivists and interpretivits:smile: ..

And in a globalisation essay you could include:
- Definition of globalisation!
- Manuel Castells- global criminal economy worth over £1 trillion per annum
- In Columbia, 20% depend on cocaine production to bring income in
- Ian Taylor- globalisation has changed patterns of crime, caused inequality
- Hobbs & Dunningham, looks at economic changes
- Link to postmodernism!- crime is now a global phenomenom , consumer culture promotes individualism
- Beck & Sznaider- cosmopolitanisation- migration, immigration, telephone and internet, greenpeace and other campaigners
-link to green crime- actions in one country effect others (pollution, climate change)
-link to state crime
etc:smile:
hope thats given a few ideas!

So thats what i just said? =D Finally i understood! So there will be 90 marks?
Does anyone have any essay questions on Globalisation or Labelling? =]

for labelling a possible question could be-
Asses the view that crime and deviancce are the product of the labelling process (21)

:smile:
Reply 91
I am also sitting this paper! Im so scared aha! its pretty unlikely that value free sociology is gonna come up as this as come up twice, sociology as a science has come up once and feminism has also come up once. functionalism would make my day! haha, also, with the crim questions, marxism and crime and deviance has also appeared!

good luck to you all!!!
Reply 92
I think one of the 21mark is going to be ethnicity coz there's been a lot on the Stephen Laurence case recently
Reply 93
Original post by anyaaargh
I am also sitting this paper! Im so scared aha! its pretty unlikely that value free sociology is gonna come up as this as come up twice, sociology as a science has come up once and feminism has also come up once. functionalism would make my day! haha, also, with the crim questions, marxism and crime and deviance has also appeared!

good luck to you all!!!

Hiya, could you help me with functionalist theory. How would you go about that essay? can u guide me please?
Reply 94
Original post by mrsay

Original post by mrsay
Hiya, could you help me with functionalist theory. How would you go about that essay? can u guide me please?

You must include determinism, conflict and division which are the main criticisms of the functionalist theory but the Action theories and post-modernist approaches.

The main sociologists involved in the fuctionalism theory are: Durkheim, who talked about the rapid change from traditional society (which was based on mechanical solidarity) to modern society which has developed a more complex division of labour, then Parsons who talks about the organic analogy which is the idea that society works as a system, like the human body. Everything within society relies upon something else to work efficiently. He believed that society works today and socialk order is acheived because we all live in a shared culture with shared norms and values which is what Parsons defines as "value consensus".
Parsons also says that change is gradual and as society devlops the kinship loses these functions to factories, schools, churches etc, however this is criticised by conflict theorists as they say that functionalists assume that society is harmonious and stable.

Merton internally criticises Parsons, saying that Parsons is wrong to assume that society contiunally runs smoothly, he criticises 3 assumptions; indispensability which Merton argues is an untested assumption, functional utility and universal functionalism, as Parsons says tat everything has a positive function, however he is ignoring problems such as poverty which are functional for some groups such as the rich, but not for the poor.

Its quite straight forward, just keep in mind that functionalism are all for everybody getting along and they believe in value consensus. Marxism also are main critiques of functionalism, as they argue that shared values arent agreed by imposed on society in the interests of the dominant class (the bourgeouise)

Strengths of the theory inc: that it is a compelte theory of society that has a resonance in New Right ideas. also, include some bits about functionalism and crime etc.
Reply 95
Can someone show me the spefication that shows that there will be two 21 mark questions on crime and deviance =S As my teacher has not mentioned this and is not aware of it. =[
Reply 96
Original post by anyaaargh
You must include determinism, conflict and division which are the main criticisms of the functionalist theory but the Action theories and post-modernist approaches.

The main sociologists involved in the fuctionalism theory are: Durkheim, who talked about the rapid change from traditional society (which was based on mechanical solidarity) to modern society which has developed a more complex division of labour, then Parsons who talks about the organic analogy which is the idea that society works as a system, like the human body. Everything within society relies upon something else to work efficiently. He believed that society works today and socialk order is acheived because we all live in a shared culture with shared norms and values which is what Parsons defines as "value consensus".
Parsons also says that change is gradual and as society devlops the kinship loses these functions to factories, schools, churches etc, however this is criticised by conflict theorists as they say that functionalists assume that society is harmonious and stable.

Merton internally criticises Parsons, saying that Parsons is wrong to assume that society contiunally runs smoothly, he criticises 3 assumptions; indispensability which Merton argues is an untested assumption, functional utility and universal functionalism, as Parsons says tat everything has a positive function, however he is ignoring problems such as poverty which are functional for some groups such as the rich, but not for the poor.

Its quite straight forward, just keep in mind that functionalism are all for everybody getting along and they believe in value consensus. Marxism also are main critiques of functionalism, as they argue that shared values arent agreed by imposed on society in the interests of the dominant class (the bourgeouise)

Strengths of the theory inc: that it is a compelte theory of society that has a resonance in New Right ideas. also, include some bits about functionalism and crime etc.

Oooh thanks very much. that has rung some bells x
Reply 97

hiya , do you think realist theoies are bound to come up on the crime and deviance section ??x
Reply 98
Original post by amyamyamyxxx
for labelling a possible question could be-
Asses the view that crime and deviancce are the product of the labelling process (21)

:smile:

I meant the actual answer. :colondollar:
Reply 99
Original post by pearls
Yeah I'd like it to be sociology as a science
Well it won't be value free as it came up in June and feminism has come up
Guess we will hve to wait and see
What do you think for crime section. ?

hmmm globalisation & green crime for a 21 marker... and i duno what esle for a 21 marker tbh :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending