The Student Room Group

Crash Higher French?

I want to study Spanish and French at university next year,and my chosen highers are

Geography

English

Spanish

French

My Spanish teacher and my guidance teacher told me I have a natural skill for Spanish,and recommend I took crash French. So on that advice I did even though I have not had french in two years.
If I put in my best effort is their anyway possible I could achieve an A in my exams next year?
And does anyone know what the higher french course is like?
memory, just memory work.
Reply 2
Original post by animelover123

And skill. :wink:

With French the key is to continuously improve, knowing and understanding the grammar and remembering the vocabulary. This can be done by listening to the radio on a regular basis, reading over your notes, and noting down any vocabulary or structure that you don't know.

It's doable! :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you!
Would learning two languages confuse me too much? I'm worried about this..
Reply 4
Original post by ohsky
Thank you!

It did at first for me (I'm also doing French and Spanish), and it was honestly really, really annoying. But, after a while I developed a fine balance: I now never confuse my Spanish for my French. :smile: From the very get-go, make sure you know, in your head, what's french and what's spanish. Try to create different columns for them or something in your mind, where you place the notes for one in one section, and the other in another section.

If you do confuse yourself, then don't worry too much about it. As long as you know what language it is. And you learn from it.
Reply 5
Original post by ohsky
Thank you!

I do both this year, and I was really worried about that beforehand too and now Im planning on doing them both at AH, but for me its been fine. Now and then I confuse little words like 'oui' and 'si', 'y' and 'et' etc but nothing serious. If anything I would say that the languages help each other, the grammar sturctures etc are very similar in both and often I may understand something more in one which lends itself to understanding in the other. It also helps with reading/listening as many words are similar. So if you like languages and are at least fairly good at them and want to do both, I would say go for it, you wont regret it! :smile:
Reply 6
I'm in the same position! I'm glad to see someone has the same worries as me... Although after reading this thread, I am considering taking Higher French more now! :smile:
Hello everyone. I'm hoping to study higher spanish and higher french next year also. I did standard grade spanish, so thats not a problem, but havent done french since primary school! For those of you have successfully crashed higher french, did you have any knowledge of french whatsoever? Or did you simply start from scratch and dedicate A LOT of time to learning the vocab and stuff?

Cheers.

Original post by Nfergs
I'm in the same position! I'm glad to see someone has the same worries as me... Although after reading this thread, I am considering taking Higher French more now! :smile:

Original post by Kerrias
I do both this year, and I was really worried about that beforehand too and now Im planning on doing them both at AH, but for me its been fine. Now and then I confuse little words like 'oui' and 'si', 'y' and 'et' etc but nothing serious. If anything I would say that the languages help each other, the grammar sturctures etc are very similar in both and often I may understand something more in one which lends itself to understanding in the other. It also helps with reading/listening as many words are similar. So if you like languages and are at least fairly good at them and want to do both, I would say go for it, you wont regret it! :smile:

Original post by Quick-use
It did at first for me (I'm also doing French and Spanish), and it was honestly really, really annoying. But, after a while I developed a fine balance: I now never confuse my Spanish for my French. :smile: From the very get-go, make sure you know, in your head, what's french and what's spanish. Try to create different columns for them or something in your mind, where you place the notes for one in one section, and the other in another section.

If you do confuse yourself, then don't worry too much about it. As long as you know what language it is. And you learn from it.

Original post by animelover123

Original post by ohsky
I want to study Spanish and French at university next year,and my chosen highers are

Geography

English

Spanish

French

My Spanish teacher and my guidance teacher told me I have a natural skill for Spanish,and recommend I took crash French. So on that advice I did even though I have not had french in two years.
If I put in my best effort is their anyway possible I could achieve an A in my exams next year?
And does anyone know what the higher french course is like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending