The Student Room Group

Is it possible to self-teach A-Level history in a year?

Hi :smile:

I'm hoping to start as a mature student in college this September. We don't have the option to study A-level in colleges if you are over a certain age so I am going to be taking an access course.
These are great but sometimes universities don't favour them.

One of my favourite uni's (Warwick) has replied that the only way to really strengthen my application is by also studying History at A-level & obtaining an A grade.

This would take a lot of work, but I wondered if you think it's possible? Do you think I can teach myself at home and then take the AS units in January? I have no idea of the way A-levels are taught but I feel distance learning doesn't always help without a proper tutor either *sigh*.

I'm not sure what to do, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it.

Any advice would be great :smile:

Thanks x
If you have a very high level of aptitude and self-discipline, it is certainly possible to teach yourself with the wide variety of materials available, such as books, past papers, and mark schemes, but even then it's not going to be easy, and you won't have a tutor's feedback which can often make a huge difference in the mark you end up with. It is certainly not something I would do if I were trying to get an A, rather than merely pass the exams. Why not get yourself a proper tutor?
Reply 2
Hi,

That's what I'm doing right now! I would say that as long as you do your research, it's more than possible. I've gone through AQA, whose website has a lot of information, including the scheme of work and a list of resources that are helpful. If you keep in mind that you need to work out HOW to structure your essays and not just what information you need in order to accomplish the grade, then you'll be fine.

Another thing is that it's important if you're doing the A level by yourself that you pick topics that interest you. For example I'm doing French Revolution, American Revolution and the Making of Modern Britain and my coursework is on Russia from the fall of Imperialism to the fall of Communism.

Read EVERYTHING that you can get your hands on in terms of mark schemes, past papers and guides for private candidates and you'll be fine. :-)

Good luck!!!
Original post by sweetiepie82
Hi :smile:

I'm hoping to start as a mature student in college this September. We don't have the option to study A-level in colleges if you are over a certain age so I am going to be taking an access course.
These are great but sometimes universities don't favour them.

One of my favourite uni's (Warwick) has replied that the only way to really strengthen my application is by also studying History at A-level & obtaining an A grade.

This would take a lot of work, but I wondered if you think it's possible? Do you think I can teach myself at home and then take the AS units in January? I have no idea of the way A-levels are taught but I feel distance learning doesn't always help without a proper tutor either *sigh*.

I'm not sure what to do, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it.

Any advice would be great :smile:

Thanks x

If you have a natural talent, for sure :smile: I'd reccomend, like some others have, doing a period which interests you. However, it is also important to do a period which has a wide variety of literature from which you could teach yourself, I'd reccomend the Tudor period :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending