The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS Applicants Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by Stilo
I'm sure you'll be fine. You clearly really want this and I'm sure you've meticulously followed through the necessary steps to achieve acceptance. Also, is CISD really selective?

Ahhh yeah I'm a bit of a keen bean for this course!

Not really sure how selective they are...I guess the most important thing is the enthusiasm to really engage with the subject matter. And be able to pay the fees, of course.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by StephieB
Ahhh yeah I'm a bit of a keen bean for this course!

Not really sure how selective they are...I guess the most important thing is the enthusiasm to really engage with the subject matter. And be able to pay the fees, of course.

Are you British? (strange question I know, but for the ISD course it looks like most people aren't :tongue:)
Is there anyone here who applied for the SOAS Master's Scholarship? I have and am REALLY on edge now as apparently decisions are sent out in May... has anyone received anything from them yet? :confused:
Reply 443
Original post by Magnum Opus
Are you British? (strange question I know, but for the ISD course it looks like most people aren't :tongue:)

Yep I am :smile: Yeah SOAS looks incredibly diverse. I bet it sparks some interesting debates!
Reply 444
Original post by anwar1808
Hey there, I'm an international student and don't know as much about these things as much as I should. I got an offer from SOAS and Manchester to do Economics and don't know what to choose! They are both asking for the same grades.

SOAS has got pretty much the only Economics department in the UK that places itself firmly withing the critical academic tradition. If you want an Economics course that presupposes that free market capitalism is unquestionably the best possible system, and then gives you complicated maths to do for three years, go to Manchester. If, however, you want a course that says "Ok, what is capitalism? How does it function? How did it develop? What are the narratives and discourses that surround it? How does it work? How does it justify being a better way of distributing resources than any other system? What effect does this have on development initiatives? Are the western capitalist democracies just trying to create the rest of the world in their own image?" etc. etc., go to SOAS. You may still come out believing in the free market, but you'll realise that that's a controversial stance, and be in a much better position to justify your ideology.
Reply 445
Original post by little fish
Is there anyone here who applied for the SOAS Master's Scholarship? I have and am REALLY on edge now as apparently decisions are sent out in May... has anyone received anything from them yet? :confused:

I've applied for the Professor Stuart Wilson scholarship for MA South East Asian Studies. I'm at SOAS at the moment, doing my undergrad, so went and asked about scholarships the other day. The meeting to decide them is in mid- to late-May. Very late, I know.
Original post by JoeJBB
I've applied for the Professor Stuart Wilson scholarship for MA South East Asian Studies. I'm at SOAS at the moment, doing my undergrad, so went and asked about scholarships the other day. The meeting to decide them is in mid- to late-May. Very late, I know.

Gah, looks like it's not just my one they take their time over. The deadline to apply was in JANUARY!

Still, what was I expecting from good old SOAS :rolleyes:
Reply 447
Tracker updated to BCISD but with no letter event. Hm. Might still take a while to hear back!
Reply 448
applied for accomodation at SOAS, but doubt Im going to get it because I live in London *sighs*
Reply 449
Anyone applied to do BA Poltics ?
Original post by SaharaDesert
Anyone doing LLB Law for 2012?
Do people get to know each other before the course starts? :s-smilie:
Im worried that on the day, everyone will already know each other via FB/TSR. I should activate my Facebook :/

You've got 4 months :wink:
Im worried that on the day, everyone will already know each other via FB/TSR. I should activate my Facebook :/

I am...
lol. true!

I am :redface:
& I'm pretty sure you won't be the only one & there's still time :tongue:
Original post by whatever_x
I am :redface:
& I'm pretty sure you won't be the only one & there's still time :tongue:

hey can i ask you why you didn't choose Queen Mary as your firm choice? was it the A* requirement? :smile:
Original post by aysha.19
hey can i ask you why you didn't choose Queen Mary as your firm choice? was it the A* requirement? :smile:

Haha yeaaah :tongue:
Plus, I kinda liked the atmosphere at SOAS better so it wasn't a really hard decision to make in the end :redface:
Was it the same for you?

Great. I'll be seeing you guys there hopefully. :tongue:

Haha yuppp
....if I get in :tongue:
(as you can tell, I'm really optimistic)
MA History (southeast asia)

ENTRY Application entered onto system 22/04/2012
ACKC Acknowledgement - Application Complete 08/05/2012
AAHU To Faculty of Arts and Humanities 11/05/2012
BAHU From Faculty of Arts and Humanities 14/05/2012

THE WAIT IS KILLING ME!
Original post by whatever_x
Haha yeaaah :tongue:
Plus, I kinda liked the atmosphere at SOAS better so it wasn't a really hard decision to make in the end :redface:
Was it the same for you?

Haha yuppp
....if I get in :tongue:
(as you can tell, I'm really optimistic)

aah i see. no no.

Lol, true.

Great. I'll be seeing you guys there hopefully. :tongue:

hopefully. :smile:
Reply 457
has everyone got their offers yet? if so what did you get? :biggrin:
I got an email saying they're giving me unconditionals for both Japanese and japanese studies, but my UCAS hasn't changed yet. Hopefully it will change tomorrow so I can get my accommodation reference number thig sorted. (got the email last Thursday)
Original post by Kukukichu
I got an email saying they're giving me unconditionals for both Japanese and japanese studies, but my UCAS hasn't changed yet. Hopefully it will change tomorrow so I can get my accommodation reference number thig sorted. (got the email last Thursday)

Should probably be sorted by tomorrow if the SOAS admin ain't slacking :wink: And then and then a few extra days until you get the reference number.

I think the Dunwiddy spots don't get sorted until July though, right?

Quick Reply

Latest