The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orca92
Haha, when i was on the NTOG BB this afternoon they were all posting 'RNS' etc, i just presumed it had been released in the afternoon.

Well, the RNS was good news; they seem to have completed a massive deal from what i've gathered and it could be done within 4 weeks; and for a £10 million market cap company i think this could give them a lot more value. From the Chief Exec:

"We're working on deals that are more than ten-times the size of past deals in terms of both working interest and number of wells"

As i said, i researched the company and it seems undervalued and likely to increase in the long term; but short term tomorrow could be interesting.

haha, fair enough :biggrin:

might keep an eye on them in the future
Original post by vn2009
Anyone else in SOU or RRL?

yes and no, just twiddling my thumbs tbh at the moment waiting for something exciting to happen.
Reply 4542
Original post by initiation
yes and no, just twiddling my thumbs tbh at the moment waiting for something exciting to happen.

just topped u in sou today. we are due news soon, and with several licences in place, the future looks good!
Original post by vn2009
just topped u in sou today. we are due news soon, and with several licences in place, the future looks good!

Oh yes not doubting that, just trying not to be impatient:rolleyes:

When where you in? Got in at beginning of March first at 3.1 and then topped up at 4.3 here.
Reply 4544
Original post by initiation
Oh yes not doubting that, just trying not to be impatient:rolleyes:

When where you in? Got in at beginning of March first at 3.1 and then topped up at 4.3 here.

Lucky you :tongue: I got in at the peak at 6.45 and then 5.45 yesterday. Was waiting for the hype to settle even when it was in the 3-4p range, but everyday it continued to rise, and ended up in the 6p range before i got in.
Reply 4545
Original post by Makaveli_The_Don

x

Original post by orca92
x

Original post by aeonflux
x

Original post by infernalcradle
x

Might be of interest to you, found it on a BB board.

News regarding GGP:

Ernest Giles contains over 100km of gold prospective greenstones

The board feel it is important to undertake further drilling in the short term

Recently acquired Bromus project, with sampling drilling expected to start in Q1-2011, and further drill testing anomalies later on in 2011, with further announcements with respect to Bromus are due in the coming months.

Drilling expected to start early April 2011in the Warrentinna licence (Derby North area) in Tasmania, so we should get an RNS soon!!

Drilling at the nearby East Lisle property is scheduled to commence during April 2011.

During the interim period we received third party inquiries relating to joint ventures covering our Tasmanian licence interests, which were pursued.

In recent months further enquiries have been forthcoming for both our Tasmanian and Western Australian licences.

Negotiations are continuing with several parties.

We continue to believe that the Greatland asset portfolio holds significant attractions for investors whether it be via a joint venture or otherwise, and we remain keen to find a deal that will be positive for our shareholders.
Original post by vn2009

News regarding GGP:

Recently acquired Bromus project, with sampling drilling expected to start in Q1-2011, and further drill testing anomalies later on in 2011, with further announcements with respect to Bromus are due in the coming months.

Drilling expected to start early April 2011in the Warrentinna licence (Derby North area) in Tasmania, so we should get an RNS soon!!

Drilling at the nearby East Lisle property is scheduled to commence during April 2011.

During the interim period we received third party inquiries relating to joint ventures covering our Tasmanian licence interests, which were pursued.

In recent months further enquiries have been forthcoming for both our Tasmanian and Western Australian licences.

We continue to believe that the Greatland asset portfolio holds significant attractions for investors whether it be via a joint venture or otherwise, and we remain keen to find a deal that will be positive for our shareholders.

Yeah, I saw that, thanks.

This could well be the next AGQ/BAO. The current share price is a joke and should be taken advantage of.

AGQ also is gonna boom soon.
Hey Guys,

Anyone fancy helping out a newbie?
I understand enough that I'm not asking people to tell me good shares to buy, and I'm doing a finance degree (final yr) so I understand the theory, I just need to get into the real world....

Unfortunately being a student I don't have 1-3k to invest like some people on here seem to have, maybe up to 1k pushing it....probably more like 300UKP :frown: lol

Basically, for my meagre budget, I want to know which online tools you use to scout companies etc, how you physically purchase shares (not using a highstreet bank or more 'up-market' establishment as they don't care for us poor people :wink: ), any websites that don't have huge subs/commissions etc.

To summarise: Someone help me get on the market (please!) I think I could take it from there when I learn the ropes :smile:

Reply on thread or PM me :smile:
Original post by Athena21
Hey Guys,

I understand enough that I'm not asking people to tell me good shares to buy, and I'm doing a finance degree (final yr) so I understand the theory, I just need to get into the real world....

Unfortunately being a student I don't have 1-3k to invest like some people on here seem to have, maybe up to 1k pushing it....probably more like 300UKP :frown: lol

Basically, for my meagre budget, I want to know which online tools you use to scout companies etc, how you physically purchase shares (not using a highstreet bank or more 'up-market' establishment as they don't care for us poor people :wink: ), any websites that don't have huge subs/commissions etc.

To summarise: Someone help me get on the market (please!) I think I could take it from there when I learn the ropes :smile:

It's not really worth buying shares with only £300. Around 8% will account for costs, so unless you plan on investing long-term in a penny share then it's not really worth it. Since market return (as you may know from you finance degree) is just over 10%, taking this as a benchmark as it would be you first investment, means that your return is very little.

The only other way I can think of is spread betting. You can deposit £300 and bet a couple of quid per point. However I wouldn't recommend this unless you've had practise on some simulation platform. Return is small but better than shares, and if you can react to some critical news, you can get a good return in a matter of 20mins or so. Like I placed £1 short on EUR/JPY and was up £50 at one point.
Reply 4549
Original post by lewis_N
I'm looking at TWL and seeing a 26% dive today with no news? Any ideas?!

http://uk.ibtimes.com/articles/20110415/weather-lottery-football-club-issues-drive-h1-loss.htm
Original post by vn2009
Anyone else in SOU or RRL?

Yep i'm in both plus XEL.
All 3 are awaiting news and will mp all get something next week imo.
Original post by vn2009

News regarding GGP:

Cheers for the heads up, will have a look at some point over the weekend
Original post by Athena21
Hey Guys,

The other guy talked about spread betting which is great for getting to learn about how markets work. Don't expect to have £300 left in a few months though. If you want to keep and get a return on your money I would put it in PAF for reasons I've mentioned a couple of pages earlier or so. Might be best if you can get £300 to £500 first though :smile:
Original post by vn2009

News regarding GGP:

thanks for this.....looks awesome....

unfortunately am skint atm....so no investing for the time being :frown:
Out of Interest, anyone know of any open-ended trust stocks that have potential?
Echoing what others have said, AGQ looks like a great stock. Have had it on my watchlist since 17p. With current JORC estimates of resources and the price of silver (POS) holding above 40dollars the share price should be nearer to 100, so quite heavily undervalued. They are currently undergoing further exploration of their flagship license, as only 10% has been explored to date which is now in production.

I shall hopefully be buying in next week when the next student loan comes through, hoping not to miss any big rise.

Of course, do your own research.
Reply 4556
I have £500 to buy shares with. I have a couple of questions as I am new to this whole thing.

1. Where do you guys buy and sell? Do you use online companies like TD Waterhouse?
2. Should I buy shares or invest my money in some kind of fund thing? (Sorry to be vague but my knowledge is very limited)

I am moving to Aus soon so do you think it would be wise and wait until I get there until I buy shares? I understand Aus is currently undergoing a commodity boom with the ever growing demand from Asia and so I was thinking invest in some mining companies, Rio Tinto, BHP?

Thanks for any help. I know economics quite well, but finance and trading shares etc. is an area of which I want to learn more but at the moment I am abysmally naive of. Anyone have any advice on where I should start to learn all of this stuff?
Reply 4557
*subcribes.
These shares will see great rises by May imo:

RRL

AGQ

BMR

HER
Reply 4559
Original post by Makaveli_The_Don
These shares will see great rises by May imo:

RRL

AGQ

BMR

HER

Am in rrl and her out of those lot. U in all four?

Also curious to know why u think Bmr will rise? Heard about them here n there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending