The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CrazyTracey
I've never been able to play an instrument but have recently grown the desire to learn the guitar - specifically the spanish guitar. I believe I have found one for only £20 in a shop near me and am on the fence of whether to buy it or not. I would love to learn to play an instrument (and if I'm good enough, start busking!) and it would also be a good way to occupy the time.

But I'm not intending to sing, most of my favourite music is instrumental, and I found the 'tabs' of one song. It all looks like a foreign language to me though! Just a bunch of numbers!

Here it be: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/acoustic_alchemy/nouveau_tango_tab.htm

I wouldn't recommend buying a £20 guitar because it's likely it will be nasty to play and could put you off learning, though I don't mean you should fork out an arm and a leg for a super nice guitar when its only your first.
Original post by CrazyTracey
I've never been able to play an instrument but have recently grown the desire to learn the guitar - specifically the spanish guitar. I believe I have found one for only £20 in a shop near me and am on the fence of whether to buy it or not. I would love to learn to play an instrument (and if I'm good enough, start busking!) and it would also be a good way to occupy the time.

But I'm not intending to sing, most of my favourite music is instrumental, and I found the 'tabs' of one song. It all looks like a foreign language to me though! Just a bunch of numbers!

Here it be: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/acoustic_alchemy/nouveau_tango_tab.htm

My first axe was a £10 classic guitar. She is a bitch to play and she's never sounded that great but I love her to pieces. Just go for it! If you find you need / want a better guitar, you can go out and get one. :smile:

that tab looks pretty tricky for a total beginner. Slides and hammers/pulls ain't easy at the start...
Original post by Demon_AS

I've been playing for six years and a month :biggrin:. I joined this soc pretty much a year after I started... so the regulars here like Mustard-man and Sunburned Cactus have been around since I was a n00b! They're the soc's guitar heroes (amongst other notables). :teeth:

Nah, DAS has unrivalled contribution to this thread :smile: Good to see you're still active as always, hope all is good man. Still on the JJ? :p:
Reply 8423
Heyy everyone I've just applied to join the group :P

I play bass, I bought a yamaha RBX 170 for £145 back in february with all the equipment needed although I dont think I'm getting any better :P
Original post by Mustard-man
Nah, DAS has unrivalled contribution to this thread :smile: Good to see you're still active as always, hope all is good man. Still on the JJ? :p:
Things are well, mate! Fourth year of uni now, and it's exam time - which basically means my time on TSR is increased to compensate :p:.

That probably makes no sense.

I am, indeed, still on the JJ! But more recently on Newton Faulkner as my skills have somewhat outgrown JJ. I love the man, but you always need something new to play, right?

How about you? How is everything? :biggrin:
Original post by Demon_AS
Things are well, mate! Fourth year of uni now, and it's exam time - which basically means my time on TSR is increased to compensate :p:.

That probably makes no sense.

I am, indeed, still on the JJ! But more recently on Newton Faulkner as my skills have somewhat outgrown JJ. I love the man, but you always need something new to play, right?

How about you? How is everything? :biggrin:
Sounds good - you'll be a doctor in no time!

Been super busy with the masters this year. I started summer work last monday and will have my dissertation to do at the same time, so busy busy busy! My guitar hasn't had much attention as a result :frown:

Original post by JoeADTR
Heyy everyone I've just applied to join the group :P

I play bass, I bought a yamaha RBX 170 for £145 back in february with all the equipment needed although I dont think I'm getting any better :P
You've been added, sir. Welcome.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mustard-man
Sounds good - you'll be a doctor in no time!

Been super busy with the masters this year. I started summer work last monday and will have my dissertation to do at the same time, so busy busy busy! My guitar hasn't had much attention as a result :frown:
Gosh, that does sound busy!

Good luck with the masters, but make sure you make some time for the old guitar! I don't know if you saw my attempt at Drifting, but I'm looking forward to hearing yours! :p:
Hi all, I just applied to join because I was reading through the thread and thought 'hey I play a guitar and these guys seem pretty awesome' so joined. Anyway, I have an Ibanez GRG170DX, which while not the highest end of all instruments I love to bits, my amp is a Vox AD30VT and I also have a Zoom G2.1u pedal. Also I just finished my A-Levels and am holding a conditional offer to do computer science at Nottingham.

I like a lot of different styles of guitar, some of my favourite guitarists are Paul Gilbert, Alex Hutchings, Eddie Van Halen, Guthrie Govan, B.B. King... and well the list kind of goes on. I also like a lot of guitar renditions of video game music (I'm currently trying to learn how to play the Team Plasma battle theme from Pokémon Black/White). Some of my favourite guitar pieces are Happy as Larry, Scarified, this particular rendition of Paganini's Caprice no. 24, in fact let's put just Su Meng in that list of favourite guitarists of mine... once again I could really be here all day.

I'll let you be the judge of whether you like my guitar playing or not with this... thing I uploaded in March.
Original post by Lightnix
Hi all, I just applied to join because I was reading through the thread and thought 'hey I play a guitar and these guys seem pretty awesome' so joined. Anyway, I have an Ibanez GRG170DX, which while not the highest end of all instruments I love to bits, my amp is a Vox AD30VT and I also have a Zoom G2.1u pedal. Also I just finished my A-Levels and am holding a conditional offer to do computer science at Nottingham.

I like a lot of different styles of guitar, some of my favourite guitarists are Paul Gilbert, Alex Hutchings, Eddie Van Halen, Guthrie Govan, B.B. King... and well the list kind of goes on. I also like a lot of guitar renditions of video game music (I'm currently trying to learn how to play the Team Plasma battle theme from Pokémon Black/White). Some of my favourite guitar pieces are Happy as Larry, Scarified, this particular rendition of Paganini's Caprice no. 24, in fact let's put just Su Meng in that list of favourite guitarists of mine... once again I could really be here all day.

I'll let you be the judge of whether you like my guitar playing or not with this... thing I uploaded in March.
Su Meng is immense. :eek:
Hey guys thanks for accepting me :h: I was wondering, do you guys tab songs? 'cos I've been wanting to learn Mountains by Biffy Clyro but all the tabs online are rubbish, so if anyone knows how to play the song or knows of a good tabbing site can you tell me please? Thankyou :h:
Woop woop. Recording went really well at the weekend. Hopefully it'll be mixed and ready to share in the next couple of weeks! :biggrin:
Original post by PoGo HoPz
Hey guys thanks for accepting me :h: I was wondering, do you guys tab songs? 'cos I've been wanting to learn Mountains by Biffy Clyro but all the tabs online are rubbish, so if anyone knows how to play the song or knows of a good tabbing site can you tell me please? Thankyou :h:
I don't literally tab songs, rather, it's just to memory. But it takes so damn long for me. I think that song is just chords? Chords are not bad - just watch a few covers on youtube and figure from there (although I can't see tab sites being inaccurate with that).
Mountains is a fab song. It is mainly chords though if I remember correctly.
Oh yeah isn't it in drop C tuning?
Thinking I need to get back into writing before I get my drum kit. Once I get the kit I'll be spending most of my waking hours playing that to try and get up to a standard so I can record pretty much every idea I've had in the last two and a half years which doesn't require a double bass drum.

I've had a few lyrical ideas pertaining to my recent trouble sleeping...now just need to resurrect or write a few riffs (verse and chorus), pad it out with some bass fills, bridge, guitar solo, intro and outro.

Huzzah for convention song structures!
New Cover up! :smile:
Nice :smile:
Great tone on your acoustic, was that done by plugging it directly (or indirectly) into the computer (assuming that it's semi acoustic), or did you use a microphone off camera?
Also, do you fancy doing an acoustic cover of Delivery Us?
That's real nice =] And I agree, a good clear recording tone there.

What webcam capture/video making software are you using?
Very nice, guitarsam!

Latest