The Student Room Group
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales

Newport University Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MissBlueskys
Well Done! Is it your first offer? I loved getting the first one even though I wasn't keen on it. Pain in the arse waitng for offers/rejections from my favourite ones now :smile:

Hehe thanks :smile:
Nope, it's my fourth offer! Just waiting on my first choice now... Typical! :P
What are your favourite ones then? :smile:
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales
Original post by codle
Hehe thanks :smile:
Nope, it's my fourth offer! Just waiting on my first choice now... Typical! :P
What are your favourite ones then? :smile:

Awh your so lucky. I have only heard back from two. That is typical of UCAS I hope they give you an offer soon.
My favourite is Newport, waiting for a response after my interview. They said 2-3 weeks, I honestly can't wait that long. My other is AUCB. Where's your favourites?
Original post by Ayesha13
I've got an offer for criminology and psychology, staying at opal? x

Will you be at the City Campus? I was wondering if everyone the city campus stayed at Opal. I would like to stay at the other campus (cause it's pretty mainly and the gym and SU is there) but I don't want to be seperated from the people on my course
Reply 23
Will you be at the City Campus? I was wondering if everyone the city campus stayed at Opal. I would like to stay at the other campus (cause it's pretty mainly and the gym and SU is there) but I don't want to be seperated from the people on my course

I think I'm actually at the other campus so I think I'm going to stay at accomadation on that campus. What course are you doing?
Original post by Ayesha13
I think I'm actually at the other campus so I think I'm going to stay at accomadation on that campus. What course are you doing?

I have applied for Film and Video, waiting on a response. Are you firming Newport?
Reply 25
If i get an offer from them.... I certainly will be.

although, can anyone tell me if having a portfolio entirely based on stills would be acceptable for a "Documentary Film and Television" interview, as I haven't done video before. :/
Original post by keefy
If i get an offer from them.... I certainly will be.

although, can anyone tell me if having a portfolio entirely based on stills would be acceptable for a "Documentary Film and Television" interview, as I haven't done video before. :/

When I went for my Film and Video, they literally only looked at my interview task and showreel. I was flicking through my photobook but he didn't seem too interested. It may be different for your course, but mainly they wanted to chat about my UCAS statement and then looked at those two things.
Reply 27
Awh your so lucky. I have only heard back from two. That is typical of UCAS I hope they give you an offer soon.
My favourite is Newport, waiting for a response after my interview. They said 2-3 weeks, I honestly can't wait that long. My other is AUCB. Where's your favourites?

Ah awesome, good luck with it :biggrin: my boyfriend's applied to AUCB for Event Management :biggrin: my favourite is Winchester, closely followed by Chichester and Gloucestershire... I think I'll have to visit them all again before I make my mind up though! :P
Just got an offer from Newport for Film and Video! So happy! I thought I had such a fool out of myself at the interview. Pretty sure I am going to firm it even AUCB is just as good. Mainly glad i don't have to bother with interview anymore.
Original post by codle
Ah awesome, good luck with it :biggrin: my boyfriend's applied to AUCB for Event Management :biggrin: my favourite is Winchester, closely followed by Chichester and Gloucestershire... I think I'll have to visit them all again before I make my mind up though! :P

Good Luck to you and your boyfriend! I have always wondered what you do on the events management course? Apparently a few people from Bournemouth went to work on the Glastonbury Festival. I heard really good things about Winchester when I was looking up universities.
Reply 30
Good Luck to you and your boyfriend! I have always wondered what you do on the events management course? Apparently a few people from Bournemouth went to work on the Glastonbury Festival. I heard really good things about Winchester when I was looking up universities.

Thank you :biggrin: well he wants to learn how to manage festivals and that kind of thing in particular :smile: so yeah, learning to put on events...
And yeah, Winchester's lovely, I could really see myself there...
Firmed Newport for Film and Video :smile:
Reply 32
I am in a problematic position with Newport.

I've been offered a place on the Doc Photography course at Newport. It looks incredible, but i'm just concerned about living out there.

I'm really a big city person (from london originally, but now living down in brighton for a while) and I just wonder whether I could hack 3 years out in wales.

I've had an offer from Westminster Uni for Photographic Arts, and have an interview soon with LCC and Camberwell in central london. The location of those is such a big draw for me but the course at Newport just looks unbeatable.

Any locals or people who have spent significant time in Newport here who want to chime in please fell free!

Thanks.

Louie
Original post by louiegy

I've been offered a place on the Doc Photography course at Newport. It looks incredible, but i'm just concerned about living out there.

I'm really a big city person (from london originally, but now living down in brighton for a while) and I just wonder whether I could hack 3 years out in wales.

I've had an offer from Westminster Uni for Photographic Arts, and have an interview soon with LCC and Camberwell in central london. The location of those is such a big draw for me but the course at Newport just looks unbeatable.

Any locals or people who have spent significant time in Newport here who want to chime in please fell free!

Thanks.

Louie

i'm having the same probleeeem :/
i'm originally from london too and definitely see myself as a city person.
don't you think newport was a bit dead :/ i certainly did when i went...even tho, yeh - the course does look amazingggg!
I am from London too, while more Greater London. I am not so much of a city person myself. Newport did look a bit dead but I have heard good things about the clubs and that it is suppose to more lively at night. Would prefer some more shops, saw a Peacocks down there. Thought they were bankrupt lool.

Personally I fell in love with the Caerleon Campus because of the landscape and then found out the course was amazing as well.

It is always sandwiched between Cardiff and Bristol, if Newport does seem a little too empty?
There was a programme on yesterday (I think) called Bouncers about Newport clubs. Didn't get round to watching it. Might be enlightening? Or they may just focus on the bad parts for entertainment?
Reply 35
Original post by louiegy

Thanks.

Louie

I have an offer for Documentary Photography at Newport too. Although I'm not from a big city or anything, the course just looks so good I think I'd go wherever it was! And anyway, Bristol and Cardiff are only 20 minutes away and you could probably get to London or Birmingham in less than two hours.

Either way I really loved the Caerleon campus when I went for an open day and then again for my interview and I'm so glad they gave me an offer :smile:
My son and his 2 friends have conditional offers for information security at City Campus, Newport. They have a friend who is already staying at Opal accommodation, so we went and looked around there too.... They also considered travelling in by train... They just have to make their minds up now....
Reply 37
Original post by vittle
I have an offer for Documentary Photography at Newport too. Although I'm not from a big city or anything, the course just looks so good I think I'd go wherever it was! And anyway, Bristol and Cardiff are only 20 minutes away and you could probably get to London or Birmingham in less than two hours.

Either way I really loved the Caerleon campus when I went for an open day and then again for my interview and I'm so glad they gave me an offer :smile:

Yeah it is a beautiful campus. I suppose at the end of the day It really is worth it for the quality of the course there.

I really like Bristol when i've visited friends there previously but have never been to Cardiff although I hear good things.

Looks like I might be seeing you in September.

Louie
Reply 38
I am from London too, while more Greater London. I am not so much of a city person myself. Newport did look a bit dead but I have heard good things about the clubs and that it is suppose to more lively at night. Would prefer some more shops, saw a Peacocks down there. Thought they were bankrupt lool.

Personally I fell in love with the Caerleon Campus because of the landscape and then found out the course was amazing as well.

It is always sandwiched between Cardiff and Bristol, if Newport does seem a little too empty?
There was a programme on yesterday (I think) called Bouncers about Newport clubs. Didn't get round to watching it. Might be enlightening? Or they may just focus on the bad parts for entertainment?

I met someone from Bristol the other week who likened a friday or saturday night in Newport to, "the wild west". Apparently people come down from the valleys to let their hair down and party pretty hard, which could make for an interesting on going photography project seeing as I don't really drink!

I'll see If i can find that documentary thanks for the hint. And yes, the landscape is very beautiful out there. I love hiking so that'd be really nice.

Louie
Original post by louiegy
I met someone from Bristol the other week who likened a friday or saturday night in Newport to, "the wild west". Apparently people come down from the valleys to let their hair down and party pretty hard, which could make for an interesting on going photography project seeing as I don't really drink!

I'll see If i can find that documentary thanks for the hint. And yes, the landscape is very beautiful out there. I love hiking so that'd be really nice.

Louie

I found it on 4OD the other day. I found it quite funny compared to my initial thoughts about Newport. They definately do party hard. I'm not too much of a drinker either so it will be fun people-watching in the night clubs. My brother called Newport the "Seattle of Great Britain". I can't wait to explore Wales either.

Is you course at the City Campus? Have you thought about which accommodation you prefer?

Quick Reply