The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Excited? What hall are you going for?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Danny.
I'm doing Sport Studies, Professional Education and Physical Education (PE Teaching) so will probably have some of the same lectures and stuff!

You've certianly come to the right place, the sports facilities look brilliant!

I'm not the sportyest person myself, but the water based activities look like loads of fun, kayaking ect.
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Hey, does anybody know when you apply for accommodation?
I've got Stirling as my insurance & it's very likely I'll end up going there (which I'm very excited about :biggrin:) and I'm just worried that if I apply later than the firmers then I might not get my choice/any at all. So I'm hoping they leave it until after results day, but that's probably wishful thinking :tongue:
Reply 22
Original post by Pen Island
Hey, does anybody know when you apply for accommodation?
I've got Stirling as my insurance & it's very likely I'll end up going there (which I'm very excited about :biggrin:) and I'm just worried that if I apply later than the firmers then I might not get my choice/any at all. So I'm hoping they leave it until after results day, but that's probably wishful thinking :tongue:

Yeah Stirling was my insurance and I still got my first choice of accommodation (Murray Hall), don't worry :smile: I'm currently sharing three toilets, two showers (although they're both in the same room so it's effectively one shower) and one bath between 12 (although other floor share them up to about 16 or so, I think). It's really nowhere near as bad as peope make it out to be! It's definitely worth going for imo, it's so much cheaper than the other options.
Original post by Lintu93
Yeah Stirling was my insurance and I still got my first choice of accommodation (Murray Hall), don't worry :smile: I'm currently sharing three toilets, two showers (although they're both in the same room so it's effectively one shower) and one bath between 12 (although other floor share them up to about 16 or so, I think). It's really nowhere near as bad as peope make it out to be! It's definitely worth going for imo, it's so much cheaper than the other options.

Ahh good to know, thanks :smile: I think I'll probably go for the ensuite hall though (I have OCD - it's just easier and less annoying for other people this way :redface:).
Can't wait until September :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by destinyandchicken
Yeah, psychology! BA or Bsc?

Umm... I think BA but I always thought it didn't matter.... when my mum did her psychology degree, on graduation she was offered whether she'd like BA or Bsc as her letters, and said most people in her class chose Bsc cause it sounds smarter... but it's the same degree... must check that but I think my UCAS said BA.
Reply 25
Original post by Raterbee
It is gorgeous! Hope to see you in september.
Halls wise, from what I hear, Geddes is notorious for partying, Murray is just average. These are the cheaper halls. The other two (ASH and ?) are a bit dearer, and ASH has en suite for the rooms. Ash does have some rumours of snobbery, but probably unjustified.

Yeah I have a friend who stayed in Murray but said to go for either that or Geddes. They're both the cheapest so I guess I'll be in one of them!
Reply 26
Original post by alexybee
Yeah I have a friend who stayed in Murray but said to go for either that or Geddes. They're both the cheapest so I guess I'll be in one of them!

Got my room allocation a couple of weeks ago and I'm in Murray :smile:
Quite excited now!
Have you started thinking about stuff you'll take with you / leave behind yet?
Reply 27
I'm thinking about Murray hall too - it looks good to be honest!
Reply 28
Room for a 'sassenach'? :colondollar:

If my exams have gone/go well enough, I'll be joining y'all this September. Probably going to go for ASH, as I don't really want to share a bathroom. :tongue:

Either way, can't wait :biggrin:
Reply 29
^ FFS
Reply 30
Original post by Raterbee
Got my room allocation a couple of weeks ago and I'm in Murray :smile:
Quite excited now!
Have you started thinking about stuff you'll take with you / leave behind yet?

I got my allocation today! Geddes Court! Yeah totally panicking about packing my life up. I'm gonna have three piles - one for uni, one for mum's loft and one to bin/sell/charity lol! So excited now! x
Reply 31
Original post by alexybee
I got my allocation today! Geddes Court! Yeah totally panicking about packing my life up. I'm gonna have three piles - one for uni, one for mum's loft and one to bin/sell/charity lol! So excited now! x

I'm so bad at throwing stuff out, my room looks like a junk shop :smile:
I'm trying to do the piles thing, but I'll probably end up trying to bring everything and failing miserably :P
Original post by tufc
Room for a 'sassenach'? :colondollar:

If my exams have gone/go well enough, I'll be joining y'all this September. Probably going to go for ASH, as I don't really want to share a bathroom. :tongue:

Either way, can't wait :biggrin:

Word of warning, if you are waiting for exam results to get confirmation then you will be late in the day when it comes to applying for accommodation and you may find that ASH has filled up. Having missed out on ASH, I found out that not having your own bathroom isn't actually that bad especially as you have a sink in your room where you can brush your teeth and generally get yourself ready.

The ratio of persons to shower in Murray and Geddes sounds appalling at 18:1 but when you become lazy students who get up at all sorts of times you wait for the shower much less often than you'd think and in AKD where there are 2 showers for 6 people, waiting is hardly a problem at all and there are things you'd be much better off spending the money on.
Reply 33
Did anyone else realise we aren't actually guaranteed accommodation? I need to wait until August the 14th to go into college and change my programme from a HND to a HNC, THEN I can apply for accommodation. Bricking it I won't get now!
Reply 34
Original post by Stirling2014
Word of warning, if you are waiting for exam results to get confirmation then you will be late in the day when it comes to applying for accommodation and you may find that ASH has filled up. Having missed out on ASH, I found out that not having your own bathroom isn't actually that bad especially as you have a sink in your room where you can brush your teeth and generally get yourself ready.

The ratio of persons to shower in Murray and Geddes sounds appalling at 18:1 but when you become lazy students who get up at all sorts of times you wait for the shower much less often than you'd think and in AKD where there are 2 showers for 6 people, waiting is hardly a problem at all and there are things you'd be much better off spending the money on.

Yeah, I had realised that. :frown:
Do English students generally end up with the worst accommodation then, seeing as their results come out later than Scottish results?
Original post by tufc
Yeah, I had realised that. :frown:
Do English students generally end up with the worst accommodation then, seeing as their results come out later than Scottish results?

If you are English in ASH it generally means you took a gap year and so were able to apply early. In Murray I know they fill up lower floors then higher floors in the east wing then same in east wing so most English are in the east.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 36
Original post by Stirling2014
If you are English in ASH it generally means you took a gap year and so were able to apply early. In Murray I know they fill up lower floors then higher floors in the east wing then same in east wing so most English are in the east.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Is it hard to get other accommodation, though? If not ASH, I'd kind of hope for AKD - or am I likely to get stuck with Geddes?:s-smilie:
You will definitely get some accommodation, they have loads of it and don't leave freshers on the street. If you are quick then you are quite likely to get AKD. Geddes isn't really that bad, people just have this huge hype about it being a ****-hole because it makes them feel better about the fact that all on campus accommodation is horrid really.
Reply 38
Hi Everyone!
I'm going to be living in AKD this year! Who else is going to be in that hall? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest