The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Interviews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Are the 'Oxbridge interviews' group any good and do they help in preparation for the interviews?
Reply 161
Original post by thefrustrated
thanks for all those comments. i'll think about that:smile: and when i said my cousin, i meant my cousin.. i dont know all those things about ranking or stuff but i think most schools do have that? btw, do u know any good private boarding schools which has a high proportion of students go to oxbridge?

You shouldn't be focusing on all these 'tricks' for getting in. They don't care where you rank in your school, and they can see through it when people do sneaky things like move to a grammar school in 6th form. Someone at my school moved to a state school thinking she would be looked upon more favourably by universities if she got good grades at a state school... it's a ridiculous thing to do because 1) they can still see you've been to a private school before hand 2) if you need to employ weird tactics to make yourself look better you're probably not good enough anyway. I understand that people want to give themselves the best opportunity, so I'm not saying you're stupid for thinking this, but have faith that the universities are a lot more fair than this. They do look at your background, yes, but they're not idiots and they won't admit people just because they got good grades from a state school (especially not a grammar school). That's why all the Laura Spences are so annoying. They assume that As + State school = ability. It doesn't. Oxbridge are looking for potential and enthusiasm. It's not an infallible system, obviously, but I think it's generally very fair, and a lot fairer than other admissions processes (more time spent per applicant etc.) If you're good enough, you'll get in (obviously there are exceptions, but there's nothing you can do about that). What makes a difference is your enthusiasm and ability to show insight and potential at interview. They're not looking for anything crazily impressive, just interest and a general ability to see what a question's getting at and run with it into unfamiliar territory. The difference will NOT be whether you spent the last two years top of the class in a state school, moved to a grammar school, or were bottom of the class in a private school.
Reply 162
Original post by Bimbleby
You shouldn't be focusing on all these 'tricks' for getting in. They don't care where you rank in your school, and they can see through it when people do sneaky things like move to a grammar school in 6th form. Someone at my school moved to a state school thinking she would be looked upon more favourably by universities if she got good grades at a state school... it's a ridiculous thing to do because 1) they can still see you've been to a private school before hand 2) if you need to employ weird tactics to make yourself look better you're probably not good enough anyway. I understand that people want to give themselves the best opportunity, so I'm not saying you're stupid for thinking this, but have faith that the universities are a lot more fair than this. They do look at your background, yes, but they're not idiots and they won't admit people just because they got good grades from a state school (especially not a grammar school). That's why all the Laura Spences are so annoying. They assume that As + State school = ability. It doesn't. Oxbridge are looking for potential and enthusiasm. It's not an infallible system, obviously, but I think it's generally very fair, and a lot fairer than other admissions processes (more time spent per applicant etc.) If you're good enough, you'll get in (obviously there are exceptions, but there's nothing you can do about that). What makes a difference is your enthusiasm and ability to show insight and potential at interview. They're not looking for anything crazily impressive, just interest and a general ability to see what a question's getting at and run with it into unfamiliar territory. The difference will NOT be whether you spent the last two years top of the class in a state school, moved to a grammar school, or were bottom of the class in a private school.

To be honest, its not the best idea going through life trying to game the system...
Original post by BrassPioneer
Masturbation is a perfectly normal activity, you shouldn't worry. Why not run a hot bath to help you relax.

Um, are you on the wrong thread? :wink:
Hello,

Does the international students must to take their interviews via Skype or they still have a choice between Skype and Face-to Face interview ?

If we have the choice, which type of VISA should we apply for ? and what are the steps for the application VISA ?

Thank you
Original post by david.davis
Hello,

Does the international students must to take their interviews via Skype or they still have a choice between Skype and Face-to Face interview ?

If we have the choice, which type of VISA should we apply for ? and what are the steps for the application VISA ?

Thank you

Face to face interviews are generally very much preferred and you may find yourself at a disadvantage if you can only interview over Skype (through perhaps unable to express your meaning clearly because you can't write it down and show it to the interviewers, or the interviewers not liking Skype interviews in general). Some colleges may not offer Skype interviews at all. You should ask the college for its attitude on Skype interviews potentially before you apply.

I think you would apply for a general visitor visa as a student visa requires a definite admission from a school/college/university in the UK. This is assuming you are a visa national, otherwise the permission to enter the UK you get on arrival with just your passport should be sufficient. Again you should check with the college which you intend to apply.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hello !
I would like to take mock interview (in chemistry )

any good center ? any idea about mock interviews ?

Where can I take them ? any intresting webstie ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hello !

Is there a college at Cambridge who doesn't require an interview (I mean I'll be judged only by TSA) , if I'll apply for Natural Sciences course ?
Reply 168
Hello !

Is there a college at Cambridge who doesn't require an interview (I mean I'll be judged only by TSA) , if I'll apply for Natural Sciences course ?

No, for any course.
In order to prepare my interview in Chemistry, and since I'm an international student, I would like to revise the courses involved in A Leves in chemistry

Will this program contains all the courses covered in A Levels - Chemistry ?
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2420-W-SP.PDF
Hello !
I would like to take mock interview (in chemistry )

any good center ? any idea about mock interviews ?

Where can I take them ? any intresting webstie ?

It would probably be easiest if you could ask a willing chemistry teacher at your school/college to do it :smile:
Original post by rbecky004
Hey,
To anyone who is studying at Oxbridge, do you know of anyone that was given an offer after a 'bad' interview or do most people with offers think that their interviews went well?

I had three interviews - the third one felt like an absolute disaster and I got an offer.
Hello there.

I'm preparing to apply to Cam in the future. As I've read on this forum and through the web, the interviews are an unique, stimulating experience :biggrin:. However, it is mainly general information and gossip, no original case studies.

Is it possible for you to share the strangest, out of the box questions that you received? The subject doesn't really matter. I'm more interested in this subtle aspect (pattern/impression/inspiration/idea), or however you would call it. My subject is Biology/NatSci anyway.

I would appreciate your help!
Reply 173
I would suggest reading "So you want to go to Oxbridge?" by Rachel Spedding + Jane Welsh.
Reply 174
I certainly didn't get any strange questions in either of my interviews, just an interesting, and at times challenging, discussion about a range of subjects relating to my application - which I enjoyed a great deal more than I'd anticipated I would! :smile:

Watching these from Emmanuel College http://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admissions/videos/interviews/ may help give you more of an idea of what to expect, but remember that if you get an interview it will be based on what you've written in your UCAS application and the SAQ, so it will be specific to you. That's what makes it so difficult to generalise, and why some questions can appear strange because they're taken out of the context of the application as a whole.

If you do get an interview though: good luck, just be yourself, and enjoy it - I did! :smile:
Reply 175
Original post by GMC Vandura
Is it possible for you to share the strangest, out of the box questions that you received?

Sharing specific interview questions isn't allowed on the site - that would be unfair because questions are often refused.

Most people don't get particularly unusual questions though.
Reply 176
Original post by BenAssirati
I would suggest reading "So you want to go to Oxbridge?" by Rachel Spedding + Jane Welsh.

Is it any better than the earlier editions? They weren't exactly praised by the Cambridge Admissions Office.... (link)
Reply 177
Original post by BJack
Is it any better than the earlier editions? They weren't exactly praised by the Cambridge Admissions Office.... (link)

I would say so,and it is more just to see the true questions asked for some courses than use as a detailed guide to cambridge :P
:smile: Thank you for moving the thread into the right place, lots of support and resources.
Reply 179
Hello,
I know this is kind of a broad question, but how can I know if Oxbridge is good for me or if I am good enough before applying?
Thank you.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest