The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Thanks! :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by eden3
Met the requirements to transfer to my new uni and emailed them my transcript, now I'm impatiently waiting for them to get back to me and make my offer unconditional. Just confirm my offer already :frown: :lol:

Same boat buddy, I'm off too Newcastle
Original post by JordanC55
Same boat buddy, I'm off too Newcastle

Awesome man, congrats! :biggrin:
They've finally made my offer unconditional! :biggrin:
Original post by eden3
They've finally made my offer unconditional! :biggrin:

Congrats! The whole thing still doesn't feel real as Newcastle was my dream uni but I missed my conditions the first time.

You excited?
Congrats! The whole thing still doesn't feel real as Newcastle was my dream uni but I missed my conditions the first time.

You excited?

Thanks man! :smile: Yeah can't wait, just got to get accommodation sorted out lol.

What about you?
Original post by eden3
Thanks man! :smile: Yeah can't wait, just got to get accommodation sorted out lol.

What about you?

I've already got my accommodation sorted so I'm just waiting for the day to arrive!

I was worried in case I made a mistake but I'm confident I haven't now,

Where were you originally going?
I've already got my accommodation sorted so I'm just waiting for the day to arrive!

I was worried in case I made a mistake but I'm confident I haven't now,

Where were you originally going?

Ah no I just completed my first year of uni, but now I'm transferring right into Year 2 of my course at dfdd. Let's just say it was a uni I wasn't very happy at, lol. :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi there,
So here is my dilemma. I applied and got accepted into Brunel University in London, but then i came to the realisation that i really want to study abroad in my second year in Canada however Brunel does not offer study abroad programmes. Kingston University offers it and i was thinking about calling them but i'm not sure whether it would be wise to switch universities before in start my course. Should i stay in Brunel for the first year before transferring to Kingston or should I try my luck and call them now?

Some advice would be much appreciated!!!
Original post by Tazmine20
Hi there,
So here is my dilemma. I applied and got accepted into Brunel University in London, but then i came to the realisation that i really want to study abroad in my second year in Canada however Brunel does not offer study abroad programmes. Kingston University offers it and i was thinking about calling them but i'm not sure whether it would be wise to switch universities before in start my course. Should i stay in Brunel for the first year before transferring to Kingston or should I try my luck and call them now?

Some advice would be much appreciated!!!

Have you meet the conditions of the Brunel offer?

Contact Kingston now and ask if they will take you. But have you checked that they definitely offer a guaranteed Canadian year abroad. There may be competition for those particular places.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Have you meet the conditions of the Brunel offer?

Contact Kingston now and ask if they will take you. But have you checked that they definitely offer a guaranteed Canadian year abroad. There may be competition for those particular places.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I most likely have met Brunel's conditions but i'll wait until i get the full unconditional offer. In regards to Kingston they are one of the few unis that offer free tuition to the host university (Canada). My only concern was that Kingston does not have a great reputation but that shouldn't matter if i'm going to study abroad right?

I just don't want to jump in to things and make a big mistake but i also dont want to miss my chance of an opportunity if i wait.....
Original post by Tazmine20
I most likely have met Brunel's conditions but i'll wait until i get the full unconditional offer. In regards to Kingston they are one of the few unis that offer free tuition to the host university (Canada). My only concern was that Kingston does not have a great reputation but that shouldn't matter if i'm going to study abroad right?

I just don't want to jump in to things and make a big mistake but i also dont want to miss my chance of an opportunity if i wait.....

Check if Kingston have places if you plan on going there in Clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2552
Hey peeps,

So i will start the LLB course at my insurance choice, however, I'm eyeing a move to my firm (Manchester) and a few other such as Nottingham and Warwick. I wanted to know roughly what i need for a transfer to those universities. I'll be surely aiming for a 1st but my A2's are quite below the A*AA standard, do you guys recommend re-taking the C's at A2 to compensate and rise the chances of getting accepted or a decent A2 and a 1st along with impressive PS is enough?

Also, from the ones stated above, which ones are likely to accept me with the circumstances i have described and obtaining a) 1st (so 70% across every module) or b) an upper 2:1

Thanks!
Original post by Rian7
Hey peeps,

So i will start the LLB course at my insurance choice, however, I'm eyeing a move to my firm (Manchester) and a few other such as Nottingham and Warwick. I wanted to know roughly what i need for a transfer to those universities. I'll be surely aiming for a 1st but my A2's are quite below the A*AA standard, do you guys recommend re-taking the C's at A2 to compensate and rise the chances of getting accepted or a decent A2 and a 1st along with impressive PS is enough?

Also, from the ones stated above, which ones are likely to accept me with the circumstances i have described and obtaining a) 1st (so 70% across every module) or b) an upper 2:1

Thanks!

You should contact the universities directly. Some may accept a transfer if you get decent grades in your first year, but some may also require their standard a level requirements.

That said, make sure you're being realistic. You take a 1st for granted when it is very difficult to attain for law even at semi-good unis outside the RG.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2554
Original post by *Stefan*
You should contact the universities directly. Some may accept a transfer if you get decent grades in your first year, but some may also require their standard a level requirements.

That said, make sure you're being realistic. You take a 1st for granted when it is very difficult to attain for law even at semi-good unis outside the RG.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply man, i will contact them in due course after the clearing hassle is finished.

Not at all, i know how difficult it is to get a 1st in any undergraduate, regardless of the subject. What I intended is if i obtain anything above a good 2:1 is it enough to compliment my A-Levels (although I'm retaking them too). Ultimately i want to get into a MC/SC/US or any good regarded firm. Did not mean to sound that a 1st is easy to obtain, apologies.
Original post by Rian7
Thanks for the reply man, i will contact them in due course after the clearing hassle is finished.

Not at all, i know how difficult it is to get a 1st in any undergraduate, regardless of the subject. What I intended is if i obtain anything above a good 2:1 is it enough to compliment my A-Levels (although I'm retaking them too). Ultimately i want to get into a MC/SC/US or any good regarded firm. Did not mean to sound that a 1st is easy to obtain, apologies.

Don't apologise mate - didn't mean to sound aggressive! (It's also the fact that my first year has been very stressful and reply somewhat passionately...)

I suppose getting a high 2.1/1st will definitely help - my advice would be to send emails to all unis you're interested in and then compile a least of your favourite ones. Make sure you choose carefully!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2556
Original post by *Stefan*
Don't apologise mate - didn't mean to sound aggressive! (It's also the fact that my first year has been very stressful and reply somewhat passionately...)

I suppose getting a high 2.1/1st will definitely help - my advice would be to send emails to all unis you're interested in and then compile a least of your favourite ones. Make sure you choose carefully!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, hope the stress was followed by a good grade.

Unfortunately many of the selected/T20 require a 2:1 just to get into their year 1, which is a bit odd. Why would i want to re-do my 1st year unless i got into Oxbridge or something like that caliber. I have a list of RG that i will send the enquiry to. Any advice, since you said to choose carefully :biggrin:
Original post by Rian7
Ah, hope the stress was followed by a good grade.

Unfortunately many of the selected/T20 require a 2:1 just to get into their year 1, which is a bit odd. Why would i want to re-do my 1st year unless i got into Oxbridge or something like that caliber. I have a list of RG that i will send the enquiry to. Any advice, since you said to choose carefully :biggrin:

Good luck man!

I managed to transfer straight into Year 2 of my course to a RG uni, it all depends on the uni, some will ask you to start over and some will allow direct transfer to year 2.

My offer was contingent on a 2:1, ended up with a 1st overall.
Reply 2558
Original post by eden3
Good luck man!

I managed to transfer straight into Year 2 of my course to a RG uni, it all depends on the uni, some will ask you to start over and some will allow direct transfer to year 2.

My offer was contingent on a 2:1, ended up with a 1st overall.

Thanks buddy, and congrats on the 1st. I'm sure you tried emailing other RG/T20 unis for Law with good rep, did anyone in particular say no/said only year 1 entries. Will you be able to list them so i avoid emailing them and waiting with false hopes :colone:

If you know particular unis that do accept transfer, please list them as well :smile:
Original post by Rian7
Thanks buddy, and congrats on the 1st. I'm sure you tried emailing other RG/T20 unis for Law with good rep, did anyone in particular say no/said only year 1 entries. Will you be able to list them so i avoid emailing them and waiting with false hopes :colone:

If you know particular unis that do accept transfer, please list them as well :smile:

Thanks!

Ah sorry man I don't study Law :frown: It depends on the course as well as the uni, so you'll just have to e-mail all the universities you're interested in unfortunately :frown:

I mean, just send an email detailing the syllabus of your first year, your current grades (assuming you send off application in Dec/Jan, most unis will ask for grades you've achieved so far), asking what are the minimum A-level grades they require, and whether or not they accept year 2 entry. Then you just copy and paste that email to all unis you're interested in, that should save you some time because those are the things they'll ask for if they consider you. Then you play the waiting game. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending