The Student Room Group

17th May 2016- OCR 21st Century Science B1 B2 B3 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
I put 87/100 for the 87% chance one, which is still a probability. I thought the questions were mostly ethics, IaS and general thinking rather than proper science, which didn't suit me. Still, could be worse, could be AQA...
What did everyone put for the question that asked about why it's important to carry out long-term human trials? It was on the specification and annoyingly I couldn't find anything online to explain it so I have a feeling that's one place I will have thrown away some marks. I put:
1- Because it takes a long time for a drug to be considered safe so they should be long-term to ensure that all risks are taken care of
2- Because no drug is ever risk free as individuals will always react to them, so the extent of these side effects need to be known before the drug is considered safe and this requires a lot of testing and time.

I honestly had no idea so I just guessed - probably wrong.
what was the answer to this 6 marker
Original post by NiamhM1801
What did everyone put for the question that asked about why it's important to carry out long-term human trials? It was on the specification and annoyingly I couldn't find anything online to explain it so I have a feeling that's one place I will have thrown away some marks. I put:
1- Because it takes a long time for a drug to be considered safe so they should be long-term to ensure that all risks are taken care of
2- Because no drug is ever risk free as individuals will always react to them, so the extent of these side effects need to be known before the drug is considered safe and this requires a lot of testing and time.

I honestly had no idea so I just guessed - probably wrong.

To test long term effectiveness and test safety over long term is what I put. :smile: Because time can affect drug effectiveness and impact on the body eg chemotherapy
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
To test long term effectiveness and test safety over long term is what I put. :smile: Because time can affect drug effectiveness and impact on the body eg chemotherapy

Same, I put side effects and to see if the drug becomes less effective. Just to let everyone know I made a thread for chemistry so we can do the same thing :wink: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4094377
Original post by Ella_08
Actually I was thinking that too. Although NS can lead to survival it can also go the reverse and the species with less advantageous genes can't compete and die - just as you said. But tbh our points are definitely correct about extinction so I think the mark scheme should be relatively flexible. It better be fair!!! :hmmmm2:

Thing is natural selection only work on features which are of benefit to the organism so featurea which do not help survival will not be passed on.
I made the physics thread a while ago if you want to check it out, I know the first exam for it isn't until next week but still...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4067103&p=64885023#post64885023
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Thing is natural selection only work on features which are of benefit to the organism so featurea which do not help survival will not be passed on.

oh god i only wrote about natural selection, i'm terrified there will be no marks for it
Original post by louisemayorx
oh god i only wrote about natural selection, i'm terrified there will be no marks for it

Look, I'm sure you will pick up some marks for it as long as you've explained it well. I guess it is about how people interpret the question. :smile:

Why I hate six markers. They are sometimes too vague.
Get an unofficial mark scheme going
For the Ebola question I mentioned how it had not gone through a clinical trial, since the lady was the first person to be tested on. Therefore the long-term side effects were unknown. Do you guys think that will get me a mark.

The last question about two species being similar, so they are newly formed. I mentioned the fact they are young they haven't had many mutation that could be passed through by natural selection - which takes time. Is that rightish?

What did you guys write about jane mother having the allele for the genetic diagram?

I though it was a very difficult paper.

An unoffical mark scheme would be appreciated:smile:
Unofficial mark scheme please?
For the Ebola question I mentioned how it had not gone through a clinical trial, since the lady was the first person to be tested on. Therefore the long-term side effects were unknown. Do you guys think that will get me a mark.

The last question about two species being similar, so they are newly formed. I mentioned the fact they are young they haven't had many mutation that could be passed through by natural selection - which takes time. Is that rightish?

What did you guys write about jane mother having the allele for the genetic diagram?
Reply 353
Chemistry 2015 paper not released yet -
Is their an unofficial mark scheme for this yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ella_08
It's sent:wink:

Hi there, can I have the paper too, thanks
Original post by Ella_08
I do, as a print out

May I please have the paper also? I need it asap if that's okay.
Hey guys, how well did u do in this exam?
What was your ums score
96 ums, you? :smile:
Original post by thomas-cowley
96 ums, you? :smile:

Damn well done, I got 94 UMS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending