The Student Room Group

failed to get on pgce course

Scroll to see replies

~ Mandy
Did you ask why you were rejected this year? If you have the required qualifications and experience now, it was probably your personal statement/interview that let you down. As they are competitive courses, every year you will obviously be up against a different group of applicants, who may just have slightly more experience than you.

I had substituted in three different schools for a year and also had done observation in another school for two weeks.
Reply 21
I was a teaching assistant for 10 years, two of those based specifically in an english deparment.

I achieved a good degree in English.

I have been a cover supervisor for the past two years, based in an english department. This included me planning, preparing and taching my own groups, who all reached their exepeced targets and were praised for the wrk they had achieved.

I have been rejected from the english PGCE course?! I don't know what else I can do? Unfortunatly I guess its just a case of them liking you or not.
Reply 22
Hello to all.

How much classroom experience do you need for a PGCE like Secondary Mathematics? I was going to try the TDA Open Schools programme, but would four or five days be enough for an application?
Reply 23
Original post by kohler
Hello to all.

How much classroom experience do you need for a PGCE like Secondary Mathematics? I was going to try the TDA Open Schools programme, but would four or five days be enough for an application?

I have one weeks classroom experience (and a lot more experience working with children outside of the classroom) and have been offered a place on a History PGCE at Nottingham University with the recomendation that I get some more experience. And History is no where near a shortage subject like maths!

I think as long as you show a real desire to teach and a willingness to gain classroom experience then you should be OK (depending on what the uni/tutor are interested in!) For example, I was told that my sense of Social Justice was a big part of why I got on...
I am a qualified teacher and have someone working in my department who works with us 3 days a week, he teaches some of his own classes, runs a lot of his own clubs, does paperwork to some degree that we do and plans his own lessons. He is responsible for certain events joining schools around our entire borough and works with children on a regular basis outside of school.
He has a relevant degree from a good university.
He cannot get on a PGCE.
From knowing him i can only say the only reason for this was him waffling during interviews, talking himself out of it and not getting to the point.
Reply 25
Original post by caroline_p3
I am a qualified teacher and have someone working in my department who works with us 3 days a week, he teaches some of his own classes, runs a lot of his own clubs, does paperwork to some degree that we do and plans his own lessons. He is responsible for certain events joining schools around our entire borough and works with children on a regular basis outside of school.
He has a relevant degree from a good university.
He cannot get on a PGCE.
From knowing him i can only say the only reason for this was him waffling during interviews, talking himself out of it and not getting to the point.

I don't suppose you know what subject PGCE he wanted to do?
Original post by kohler
Hello to all.

That will be fine.
Original post by kohler
I don't suppose you know what subject PGCE he wanted to do?

PE
Reply 28
Bright vivacious character. Good Degree in subject chosen to teach. Teaching experience through sports qualifications and GAP year. Recent Classroom obv time. Understanding of traditional classroom pedagogy and multi-ability... thoroughly enthused. This is a vocation not a choice. Why can't I get on to a PGCE?
Original post by sjn1984
I was a teaching assistant for 10 years, two of those based specifically in an english deparment.

I achieved a good degree in English.

I have been a cover supervisor for the past two years, based in an english department. This included me planning, preparing and taching my own groups, who all reached their exepeced targets and were praised for the wrk they had achieved.

I have been rejected from the english PGCE course?! I don't know what else I can do? Unfortunatly I guess its just a case of them liking you or not.

I don't think it is as objective as people think it is. I think often admissions are making decisions based on their opinions on your application. So, unfortunately, it is difficult to say if it's worth applying again after being rejected.

I was rejected from a Primary PGCE despite 9 months experience in a range of different Primary classrooms. I have also done some TEFL teaching and cover supervising. I also had excellent references purporting to my ability to teach from two primary schools. I did well on the interview tests. I can only think I didn't come across well in the 5-minute one to one interview, so it really is that subjective I think.

The feedback I received was pretty useless so I don't see any point in re-applying, as something equally arbitrary could be used to reject me again. Having said that, there were loads of good candidates, so they have to draw a line somewhere.
Reply 30
I've been rejected from all four of my choices; 2 SCITTs and 2 PGCEs, despite having worked as a TA and a teacher in 3 countries my entire working life (6 years so far). My degree is in TEFL and MFL and my most recent rejection was because "you lack experience in the classroom", meanwhile, my classmate from Uni who has spent a total of 1 day in the classroom got in because he speaks Spanish...I feel rather upset because all I have ever wanted is to teach, and now I'm a bit stuck, whilst someone who only decided a couple of weeks ago to apply as "something to do", gets a place, because he speaks another language. Why couldn't they just say that I didn't offer what they want, rather than telling me on the phone that the last 6 years of my life are somewhat irrelevant to a career in teaching.
Reply 31
Original post by Kimblette
Bright vivacious character. Good Degree in subject chosen to teach. Teaching experience through sports qualifications and GAP year. Recent Classroom obv time. Understanding of traditional classroom pedagogy and multi-ability... thoroughly enthused. This is a vocation not a choice. Why can't I get on to a PGCE?

It's all about the interview.
Reply 32
Some unis are different with entry requirements. I didnt apply to some of my local ones as they wanted experience in a school, so I applied to leicester as they recognise working with kids.

I got on the course having spent 1 day in a school. I have to do 2 weeks before my place is confirmed. Also I really enjoyed the lesson observtions as i saw a brilliant lesson and talked to the teacher about it after and got some good ideas. If I had been teaching who would I learn from. I will take any opportunity to watch and learn from teachers then when I teach myself I might have more skills
Reply 33
If you check on the university websites it usually states how much experience they want. However, when I got my interview letter it said anybody without any classroom experience will be at a disadvantage, suggesting if your PS and everything is good enough and the interview then they may still give you an offer if you let them know about your plans to get experience.
Reply 34
Reading this I feel as if I have "done the dirty" in getting on a PGCE next year. Even though it shouldnt make a difference I think being at the University already makes a huge difference.

I was able to find out who ran the course and get myself known to that person before I even got to interview. I got that person to read through my personal statement and advise on it, found out I had an interview from that person before GTTR updated, plus that was the person I had to do my interview with, and who had the final decision on who was accepted. I felt that the battle was half won before I even stepped through the door.

My only school experience was the Student Associate Scheme (3 weeks in a school), completed 2 years prior to my application. I only applied to one course at one uni and got it.

I can definitly sympathise with people with so much experience who still struggle to find a place. If you find yourself struggling but have all the ingredients, try a bit of "networking". making yourself known to the people that matter can go a long way
Original post by pgceprimaryaamf
I understand your disappointment. I got refused on year because of lack of qualifications, fixed that applied the next year got refused because lack of experience, went away got experience and got knocked back again this year. What more can you do?!

Yes. The problem is, that you are at the whim of a group of assessors who are having to make decisions on very small amount of knowledge of each candidate. All those who get to interview are decent candidates (they have to be because of the sheer number of applicants for primary).

The assessors have to draw a line somewhere so they will pick on anything that gives them a reason to discount you. It's a very subjective process. In other industries, you would be allowed to take the course, thus, proving whether you can make the grade or not. It's clear in the classroom if you can teach or not - having to jump all the hurdles to actually get on the course is getting a bit silly :rolleyes:

Problem is the economy, masses of ppl are out of jobs, and teaching is an alternative profession that they can have a go at with their current qualifications.
(edited 12 years ago)
I have so far failed to get on a Primary PGCE course this year.

I have 10 GCSEs - all either A* A or B, an AS Level in Spanish and A A C in my A Levels. I also have a 2:1 History degree. Last July I undertook 3 weeks full time work experience at a local Primary School, and I also have previous experience working with a Scouts group.

I applied first to Chester in November - they took forever to decide after interview, so I was already very late in the cycle when I got rejected. Manchester Met were full, as were Bangor. I tried Brighton and Leeds Met - both rejections without interview. I'm now on to my last hope for 2011 - Greenwich.

I have to admit that I'm slightly shocked I'm in this position given my academic success and that I've actively sought to pursue my desire to become a teacher. I did very well in Chester's interview tests and the interview went great. And I didn't try and punch high in my application process - I understand that Primary PGCE's are highly oversubscribed and Universities like Warwick and Manchester would really look for the best potential teachers out there.

I'll be gutted if Greenwich is a 'no' too - but I'm not giving up. After Easter I'm spending three months working full time voluntarily in two different Primary schools to bump up my experience. I've also bought lots of books to read about the teaching practice. I just wish I didn't have to wait another year and pay a hell of a lot more for the PGCE - though I know in the end it'll be worth it.
Reply 37
Heya,

Your story sounds like mine. I applied to Institute of Education and they took 2 months to get back to me to let me know I had an interview. After being unsuccessful I'm hoping to get into Greenwich but I haven't even heard as to whether I've got an interview yet. Do you have an interview? Every university have different ways of selecting candidates...
Original post by Kimalogic
Heya,

Your story sounds like mine. I applied to Institute of Education and they took 2 months to get back to me to let me know I had an interview. After being unsuccessful I'm hoping to get into Greenwich but I haven't even heard as to whether I've got an interview yet. Do you have an interview? Every university have different ways of selecting candidates...

Hey,

No I haven't heard whether I've got an interview. It's been 14 days since I applied there. I received a letter a few days ago saying they had received my application and were considering me - which is actually the first University that have done this in my entire process, so at least that's a positive. Now the Easter break is over hopefully we'll hear back soon.

What has been most disappointing is that I've been rejected without a reason. I've actually e-mailed and phoned Chester, Brighton and Leeds Met asking if they could give me feedback about my application, just so that I may learn from it in the future and progress, but none of them have got back to me despite saying they would.
Reply 39
Hi,

Yes, I received a letter too dated 12th April confirming they've received my application but it can take up to 4 weeks before they can confirm whether I've got an interview. Institute put a reason on GTTR but it was very brief just said that I did not do well enough in my presentation. Very cut throat if anyone messed up in any of the 3 criteria they are immediately rejected :-(!

So difficult getting onto a course. I spoke to someone who has been trying to get onto a course for 2 years...Greenwich is definately my last chance too. There are actually no other university that have places and I can't afford to relocate. I wish I could be told one way or the other. I did not get that much time to prepare for Institute interview...I hope if Greenwich want to interview me they would let me know soon so I have lots of time to prepare.

Good luck and let me know if you hear anything...

Quick Reply