The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Graduate Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Tali_91
Awesome! Are you definitely going to Cambridge or are you still waiting on other places? :smile:

I still haven't heard back from RVC yet, so it might turn out Cambridge is my only offer anyway! I always had my heart set on RVC, and never really considered Cambs because I thought it was unrealistic! But now I have the offer, the more I think about it and the more I talk to my Uni lecturers (a lot of them studied or did post-docs in Cam), the more the balance tips :smile: I also really love the thought of smaller teaching groups and really personal tuition at the colleges.

I think I'm going to go and see what vibe I get from the place - I loved it at interview, but now I want to see the actual vet school.

What about yourself? Are you definitely accepting your offer?
Reply 321
Original post by Erin01
I still haven't heard back from RVC yet, so it might turn out Cambridge is my only offer anyway! I always had my heart set on RVC, and never really considered Cambs because I thought it was unrealistic! But now I have the offer, the more I think about it and the more I talk to my Uni lecturers (a lot of them studied or did post-docs in Cam), the more the balance tips :smile: I also really love the thought of smaller teaching groups and really personal tuition at the colleges.

I think I'm going to go and see what vibe I get from the place - I loved it at interview, but now I want to see the actual vet school.

What about yourself? Are you definitely accepting your offer?

I only applied to RVC and Cambs, but got rejected from RVC in December so was feeling very unoptimistic about everything. I need to have one last chat with my parents about fee's, just to make sure we definitely can afford it for the full 5 years, but after that I will be firming it :smile:

I really liked the school, it isn't as modern looking as most other vet schools but it just had a really friendly feel to it. And all the lecturers I spoke to were really nice and chatty :smile:

Looking forward to meeting people on the 9th though :biggrin:
Reply 322
Original post by sophie_aj
Hey, I also have an interview for liverpool on 29th Feb 2pm... have you decided whether to go or not? :smile:

still not sure really was going to wait after my nottingham interview, i know they wont get back to me that quick though. its all down to whether we could realistically borrow that amount of money despite whether i get a veryyy lucky unconditional, because if the answer is still no then theres no point going really, which is a shame!
Reply 323
Congratulations on Liverpool interviews!! :biggrin:

Original post by NicoleRH
still not sure really was going to wait after my nottingham interview, i know they wont get back to me that quick though. its all down to whether we could realistically borrow that amount of money despite whether i get a veryyy lucky unconditional, because if the answer is still no then theres no point going really, which is a shame!

Is you Notts interview before your Liverpool one? I can see why you would contemplate not going if it is after, especially if you know you would firm Bristol! But it could be useful practice if it is before? Either way, congrats :smile:
Reply 324
No its after at the end of the month otherwise i would have gone for def to get the practise. In a bit of a difficult situation. but thank you :smile:
Reply 325
Original post by Tali_91

Looking forward to meeting people on the 9th though :biggrin:

I felt so comfortable at my interview, all of the tutors were so friendly and relaxed and the college felt really homely too. I'll almost certainly firm Cambridge though. IF I were to get an offer from RVC, I would have to have a serious think! The main thing, as you say, is the money. Even though the fees are still £9000, the college fees will add an extra £25k ish over the 5 years! I know we can get loans for it, but it's a lot to have hanging over my head (on top of first degree loans too haha). Decisions decisions :smile:

I can't wait to meet the people too! I wonder how many grads there will be?
Reply 326
Original post by Eevee13
Congratulations on Liverpool interviews!! :biggrin:

Is you Notts interview before your Liverpool one? I can see why you would contemplate not going if it is after, especially if you know you would firm Bristol! But it could be useful practice if it is before? Either way, congrats :smile:

Hmm, well if Bristol is the winner, both financially and you already have a place and you would go there second to Nottingham then I definitely wouldn't waste the train money on Liverpool. Unless you're not sure. Obviously Notts is the winner financially. Bristol with exemptions would able you to work part time too which would be good.
It's hard decisions are complicated though
Reply 327
Ok graduates. Let's just forget about money for a moment. Can people help me with pros and cons of Liverpool vs. Edinburgh. Vet reputation etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by sophie_aj
Ok graduates. Let's just forget about money for a moment. Can people help me with pros and cons of Liverpool vs. Edinburgh. Vet reputation etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated :smile:

In the National Student Survey this year Liverpool scored second highest with overall satisfaction for the course...Edinburgh came second last...lol

However I haven't visited either vet school but have met vets from both, all of whom were really good

One more point Liv isn't AVMA accredited whereas Edinburgh is, may increase your post-grad options but only if working abroad is something you would consider (obviously) :smile:
Reply 329
Original post by Erin01
I felt so comfortable at my interview, all of the tutors were so friendly and relaxed and the college felt really homely too. I'll almost certainly firm Cambridge though. IF I were to get an offer from RVC, I would have to have a serious think! The main thing, as you say, is the money. Even though the fees are still £9000, the college fees will add an extra £25k ish over the 5 years! I know we can get loans for it, but it's a lot to have hanging over my head (on top of first degree loans too haha). Decisions decisions :smile:

I can't wait to meet the people too! I wonder how many grads there will be?

I was wondering how many grads there will be as well. I know Wolfson College takes about 5 graduate VetMeds a year, and there are 3(?) graduate colleges? So guessing around 15... But that seems quite alot seeing as they only take on about 70 people per year in total!

Good luck with RVC :smile:
Reply 330
heyy, is anyone else gonna be straight out of sixth form (yr13) ??

Soo nervous for my RVC interview tomorro
Original post by Loosy
I thought they said in the talk that there were 55 places this year? I thought that was just for UK applicants but maybe it was including international students? I wasn't sure... I know it has gone down from last year though :frown:

oh im not sure then - my tour person said that half of those 50 places were for internationals and the other half for us on that day!
Original post by Kelly_G
heyy, is anyone else gonna be straight out of sixth form (yr13) ??

Soo nervous for my RVC interview tomorro

You're in the graduate thread..... so no. We are all grads here who have already completed a degree. You are still welcome to ask about vet med as a grad here tho. We won't shun you :biggrin: Try the 'calling all 2012 vetmed entry hopefuls' thread for any general stuff. Thats everyone including grads and reapplicants :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 333
Original post by cornish_pasty
oh im not sure then - my tour person said that half of those 50 places were for internationals and the other half for us on that day!

It was probably wishful thinking on my part then! They must have had a big intake on the 5 year course last year.
Original post by Loosy
I thought they said in the talk that there were 55 places this year? I thought that was just for UK applicants but maybe it was including international students? I wasn't sure... I know it has gone down from last year though :frown:

Original post by cornish_pasty

Two years ago (so entry in 2010), there were about 52/53 people enrolled on the grad course. I forget the exact ratio of brits to americans, but it was about half/half 2/3 to 1/3 ish.

Entry in 2011 was higher (i can't remember the exact number, but nearer 70 rings a bell). Again, quite a lot of americans.

Entry for 2012 is meant to be (from what I've heard) back towards the 50ish figure, with a brit/american split of about half-ish again.

But, obviously more offers will be given out than are taken up, so there would be more than 25 offers or whatever it is made. :-) If you've got any specific questions, contact RVC admissions, Margaret kilyon is really nice and helpful!!
Reply 335
Original post by kookabura
Two years ago (so entry in 2010), there were about 52/53 people enrolled on the grad course. I forget the exact ratio of brits to americans, but it was about half/half 2/3 to 1/3 ish.

Entry in 2011 was higher (i can't remember the exact number, but nearer 70 rings a bell). Again, quite a lot of americans.

Entry for 2012 is meant to be (from what I've heard) back towards the 50ish figure, with a brit/american split of about half-ish again.

But, obviously more offers will be given out than are taken up, so there would be more than 25 offers or whatever it is made. :-) If you've got any specific questions, contact RVC admissions, Margaret kilyon is really nice and helpful!!

That's really interesting, thanks!

I wonder how many grad interview days there are? I assumed there will be more as the lady at RVC mentioned they 'would be interviewing grads until March 21st', and one of my friends still hasn't heard back yet. I also spoke to a girl on the bioveterinary course there who said there had already been a graduate day. Not that speculating is going to help of course :colondollar:
Original post by Eevee13
That's really interesting, thanks!

I wonder how many grad interview days there are? I assumed there will be more as the lady at RVC mentioned they 'would be interviewing grads until March 21st', and one of my friends still hasn't heard back yet. I also spoke to a girl on the bioveterinary course there who said there had already been a graduate day. Not that speculating is going to help of course :colondollar:

I really don't know I'm afraid! Interviews in general are running until the 21st March, I don't know about grads though. I know there are specific gateway interview dates coming up. Also, I think grads applying for the 4 year and grads for the 5 year are interviewed separately...but I don't really know. :smile:
Reply 337
Hehe, thanks anyway, I just need to be patient! It's just so tempting to try and figure out the odds. How on earth did you survive the wait :eek:
Reply 338
Thanks for clearing that up Kookaburra! That's what they said during the talk at the interview but I assumed they were talking about just UK grads! Oh well.
This wait is killing me! lol
Original post by Eevee13
Hehe, thanks anyway, I just need to be patient! It's just so tempting to try and figure out the odds. How on earth did you survive the wait :eek:

Errmmm.

Firstly, try not to worry...because you won't hear a thing until after the 21st March! So at least you don't have to worry every time to get post/check your emails!!

Secondly, you had an interview cos you already meet the criteria they want - they don't interview a ridiculous number of people for the number of places. So you have a better chance of offer after interview than some of the uni's that interviews loads of people. Yes, there will still be some people who don't get offers after interview, but if you had an interview and weren't a complete idiot you are in with a good chance.

Also, whilst the wait does seem long....look at it as a good thing, that it means everyone has the same chance of offer's. I was always really sceptical with places that start giving offers out after one interview date...how can the people interviewed on the last day have the same chance? At least it is def fair and you have an equal chance to everyone else, regardless of the date you were interviewed or how good other people were on the day you were interviewed.

Try not to think about it (hard I know!) until after the 21st March...as worrying isn't going to help :-)

Quick Reply

Latest