The Student Room Group

you are not dyslexic!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rlw31
I've heard it lots as well. I've no experience with dyslexia or anything, I just find it weird that laypersons who aren't involved with testing for it (and don't even know what the test involves), complain about the number of people diagnosed with it, especially when the entirety of their argument seems to be "I just can't believe so many people have it".

I think they just resent dyslexics because they can get extra help - not attacking the OP here just saying that people may not think it's fair that we get extra time in exams and all that jazz.
Original post by rlw31
I've heard it lots as well. I've no experience with dyslexia or anything, I just find it weird that laypersons who aren't involved with testing for it (and don't even know what the test involves), complain about the number of people diagnosed with it, especially when the entirety of their argument seems to be "I just can't believe so many people have it".

I had just assumed there was something in it after hearing about it so much from people and the media etc... Step back was needed, as hearing something a lot of time =/= correct. :P
Reply 22
Original post by lightburns
I had just assumed there was something in it after hearing about it so much from people and the media etc... Step back was needed, as hearing something a lot of time =/= correct. :P

See my edit :tongue:
Reply 23
Original post by Liam_G
There was a boy in my year at school who was dyslexic, and so in his English Literature GCSE he was given more time than everyone else, and he was also given a scribe, he managed to achieve a D grade. This grade was then bumped up to a B, in reflection of his condition... I was like "okay... :indiff:" Fair enough that he was given extra time, and having a scribe is understandable, but then boosting his score by two grades? Why? So he doesn't feel bad about himself? That exam was supposed to be a reflection on his English literacy skills, and given the fact that he couldn't spell, (which I'm not saying was his fault), I don't think it was :dontknow:

Thats doesnt sound right. The whole point of the extra time is to ensure that dyslexic students' grades don't have to be bumped up, using what can be vary inaccurate interpolation methods. You get extra time in the exams as a dyslexic person to account for the additional time you need to check over spelling etc.

His grade should not have been bumped up; that sounds very illegitimate.
Original post by rlw31
See my edit :tongue:

Aimed at me or not, I needed it at least partially aimed at me :P
Reply 25
I can't spell. Sometimes if I'm not concentrating I literally cannot comprehend the sounds people are making as words. I also often have trouble focussing on, and remembering pictures and images.

Maybe I'm dyslexic?

I don't want to be though. I don't want no stinking extra time in exams. I always finish early anyway, and then get bored :frown:
interesting fact: according to my biological psychology lecturer, people with dyslexia have less lateralisation of function of the brain, which is why a higher percentage of them are left handed than in the general population.

i'm left handed :eek: :holmes:
Reply 27
Original post by Jam'
Thats doesnt sound right. The whole point of the extra time is to ensure that dyslexic students' grades don't have to be bumped up, using what can be vary inaccurate interpolation methods. You get extra time in the exams as a dyslexic person to account for the additional time you need to check over spelling etc.

His grade should not have been bumped up; that sounds very illegitimate.

I know what you mean :curious: but I knew him quite well, and I'm sure he wouldn't have made it up. Perhaps he didn't have a scribe, but I'm absolutely sure that his grade was boosted. I know that there wasn't any chance of him ever getting a B in English Literature, no offence to him as he's incredibly talented in other respects, so I found it all a little strange. This was about three years ago, if that makes any difference :dontknow:
Reply 28
I am on a small teaching placement at a school, and I have actually heard pupils defend their friends when they are told off for doing no work, saying, "But sir, he's dyslexic!" As if - kids know full well it can be used as an excuse to be lazy. The teachers are also generally of the opinion that students are lazy - sometimes, they even have to write the exercise in children's books for them, leaving only the answers blank.

The general ratio of diagnosed special educational needs is something like 50% in a class in this school. Some classes have more like 80%. How can this be right?

And wait for it ... this is an Ofsted outstanding school.

(Right in the centre of an estate, though, it gets the finest of Southampton's chavs.)
Reply 29
Original post by Steevee
I can't spell.

Everyone can spell. You're just being lazy.

Sometimes if I'm not concentrating I literally cannot comprehend the sounds people are making as words.

So concentrate.

I also often have trouble focussing on, and remembering pictures and images.

Maybe I'm dyslexic?

No you're not. Like you said, sometimes you don't concentrate and this can be solved by concentrating more.

Above is a pretty disgraceful example of a severely ill-judged dyslexia self-diagnosis. It just supports the fact that this dyslexia business is a bunch of nonsense.
Reply 30
I do feel everyone should get tested for special educational needs its just expensive and thats why private schools can afford to do it and state schools can't.

One of my friends needed to be reassessed for her dyslexia before her GCSEs to make sure that she still had it it and it cost her (she goes to a private school which makes her pay for it herself) around £400.

I go to a school thats was in the top ten a few years back but out of a year of 78 only 4 get extra time and only 3 because of dyslexia.
I do not think that I am dyslexic but apparently I am. I thought I had dyscalculia, due to my awful time-keeping, great difficulty with mathematics... to the level of not being able to have a certain job because I failed the mathematical component of the test (and that produced a few tears of frustration).

I have been sacked purely because of my time-keeping, although some employers have just preferred to continually threaten me with dismissal over a five year working period (for example)...If I could lead a different life, I would do.

I had an assessment at Uni. I performed all the tests. The tests surrounding short term working memory and working processing speed annoyed me because they were digit based...infact a significant percentage of the test was digit based. I have always felt that if the tests had been conducted using words rather than digits, my score would have been higher.

But, the assessor did not link my inability with digits/ mathematics to dyscalculia. So now, I have a diagnosis of dyslexia and I am currently struggling BIG TIME at Uni because I am struggling to complete a time-sheet (it is at the very core of my 'disability') and I am getting no help with it! Trying to break down time and remember timings, after accidently entering the wrong time and failing to put the date by the time etc etc- nightmare.Everything is going down hill because of increased stress levels surrounding the requirements of one module!!

I was given a list of dyslexia support workers but I have been told that I cannot access dyscalculia support workers, due to funding structure.
When I looked through the dyslexia lists of support workers, I felt that I did not need the support that they were offering.
I have also inadvertently forgotten to inform the module leaders to request for extra time for exams (so I have not had extra time in exams so far).

I passed all my GCSE's at school except for mathematics (ungraded)...Surprise!
I even took English Language a year earlier and obtained an 'O' Level.

I do not think that anyone would willingly 'fake' an assessment but I do think that sometimes assessors can misinterpret the results of the tests.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Liam_G
I know what you mean :curious: but I knew him quite well, and I'm sure he wouldn't have made it up. Perhaps he didn't have a scribe, but I'm absolutely sure that his grade was boosted. I know that there wasn't any chance of him ever getting a B in English Literature, no offence to him as he's incredibly talented in other respects, so I found it all a little strange. This was about three years ago, if that makes any difference :dontknow:

so you dont actually know whether his original grade was a D or not?

its a bit unfair of you to say he wouldnt be capable of getting a B. and frankly i dont see how it's any of your business.
Original post by Zangoose
Everyone can spell. You're just being lazy.

So concentrate.

No you're not. Like you said, sometimes you don't concentrate and this can be solved by concentrating more.

Above is a pretty disgraceful example of a severely ill-judged dyslexia self-diagnosis. It just supports the fact that this dyslexia business is a bunch of nonsense.

so according to you im lying about my dyslexia?
Reply 34
Its like whiplash.

Unless you have it (or know someone who has it), you consider it fake. This is probably because some people do fake it/it is over diagnosed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Hanvyj
It sounds like whiplash.

Unless you have it, you consider it fake. This is probably because some people do fake it/it is over diagnosed.

I really don't see how your third sentence links from your second :s-smilie: Plenty of people don't have it, but don't consider it fake.
Reply 36
Original post by Steevee
I can't spell. Sometimes if I'm not concentrating I literally cannot comprehend the sounds people are making as words.

I get that, my brain just can't comprehend language if I'm not concentrating/distracted. I have to repeat the noises back in my head to try to decifer what is the likliest thing the person has sead.

Also terrible at spelling, you know when you look at a word and it looks right or wrong. For some reason my brain doesn't manage that and words look so wrong when they are spelled right and I can't spell things even with a spell checked sometimes...

Don't think I'm dislexic though, I've met people with severe dyslexia. When you can't work out which was arround a letter goes... If you can answer those "are you human" type the text from the picture then you are not dyslexic :P
Reply 37
It's a very subjective condition. You could have one doctor saying that you are dyspraxic and another saying it doesn't exist and you just have not as good co-ordination. I was told by a doctor that none of these conditions exist and it is just middle class parents who cant accept that their child isn't the brightest child, and need a conditions to pacify them. I am classed as a dyspraxic myself.

<3 x
Reply 38
Original post by rlw31
I really don't see how your third sentence links from your second :s-smilie: Plenty of people don't have it, but don't consider it fake.

True, I was over exaggerating.
Dyslexia is a real thing and does affect many people but the problem with it is people seem to think the word dyslexia just another word for illiterate. When Dyslexia is actually one of many reasons for illiteracy and illiteracy is just one symptom of dyslexia.

I struggle with spelling because firstly my parent aren't strong spellers and secondly my school weren't interested in teaching me because I was never going to reach their targets so was just never taught properly. My teachers reply was 'so your dyslexic because you weren't taught how to spell!" Nooo, if I were dyslexic it would be because there is a problem with me biologically not being taught is an external factor and has nothing to do with dyslexia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending