The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4040
Original post by nosceteipsummm
Hey all. A bit off-topic, but is anyone using Stafford/Direct/Direct PLUS loans to pay for school? If so, have you applied?

I have not yet as I'm still waiting to hear back from some schools but intend to. I've submitted the FAFSA application though.
Original post by bauch
I have not yet as I'm still waiting to hear back from some schools but intend to. I've submitted the FAFSA application though.

Well, you're ahead of me on loans then, haha! I'm still waiting to submit my FAFSA...tax returns were a little late this year. Just wondering if anyone has any idea (on average - I know it differs from school to school) about how long the whole loan process takes...?
Original post by TheAbes
Has anyone here taken the LNAT? I'm pretty interested in taking PPL at KCL but the only thing that's really stopping me is the LNAT. To be totally honest, I just can't be bothered to take another test after the 4 APs, SATs, and SAT IIs I'll be taking this May/June.

What's it like? Is it 'hard', and is there any way you can really prep for it?

Cheers

I'd advise asking here; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28

They'll know best.
Reply 4043
Original post by Gurmeet.Kapoor
oh and...

wud chances of me going to better Unis increase if I take SAT and ACT AND a good amount of APs and did merely average on them or....?

Not that I have an insider's knowledge of the admissions depts, but in short I would say no- b/c I think what matters is building a good case for why you are a good candidate for the particular course you are interested in. The emphasis seems to be more on quality than quantity (take that, College Confidential!). So, choose APs and/or subject tests that directly or indirectly demonstrate your abilities/interest in your chosen course, and do really well in them (for the better Unis, only 4s and 5s). Try both the SAT and the ACT if you want- but just send in your best result. Make sure there is a clear line-of-sight through all of your pieces- what you do outside of classes, what you have been tested in, etc. to make it clear to the people evaluating your application that you get what it is you are applying for and why you are a great fit for it.
Hello,

Introducing myself, as I am going to be studying an MSc in Marketing this year in the UK. Got shot down by Imperial, Kings and Queen Mary, but got accepted to LUBS, Aberdeen and Birkbeck and Royal Holloway. Not sure which one to accept, probably Leeds.
Reply 4045
Imperial costs around 22k per year for Internationals. UCL, oxford and cambridge all cost around 14k per year.

any idea why Imperial costs are so high.. higher than UCL for example?

Thoughts?

thanks.
Original post by mpc1
Imperial costs around 22k per year for Internationals. UCL, oxford and cambridge all cost around 14k per year.

any idea why Imperial costs are so high.. higher than UCL for example?

Thoughts?

thanks.

Well, compared to Oxbridge it's definitely because Imperial is right in London. However, I can't really account for the difference compared to UCL. It's probably a combination of Imperial wishing to get more money from internationals, and having to pay more for equipment, staff, and such.

Is Imperial and UCL's domestic fee the same? If so, it's probably just Imperial being a bit more greedy.

For what subject are you comparing the unis?
how many hours of homework do AP classes give generally...? I just wanna hear what you guys say!
Original post by Gurmeet.Kapoor
how many hours of homework do AP classes give generally...? I just wanna hear what you guys say!

That's really an impossible question to answer- it depends completely on your school and teacher, not to mention the class.

If you just want to hear about my experiences (which are by no means representative), last year I got about 40 min. of AP English Lang. a night, 1-2 hours of APUSH, and maybe 15 min. of AP French at the most. This year, 40 min. of AP English Lit., rarely 10 min. of AP Psych, and none for AB Calc. (my friend and I managed to convince our teacher to stop giving us homework because we're so ahead of the class :colondollar: Not because we're good at math. Because our class is that bad.) But I go to a ****ty public high school that does a terrible job of preparing students for anything, so...all of these classes should probably give a lot more homework than what I just mentioned.
Reply 4049
Original post by mahassociates
T

Have you finalised UCL accommodation? If so, which hall is recommended? catered? Also what is the difference between student house and hall of residence in UCL? http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/residences/halls Has your accommodation been confirmed?
Hey everyone!

Haha this has probably been addressed already on here but I was wondering about meeting requirements before you apply? I don't have many AP's as of now (current junior) , but I know that next year (senior year) I will be taking a lot more. So if I apply to the schools I want to, whilst under the requirements, do I still have a chance of getting in?

Thanks!
Reply 4051
Original post by punctuation
Well, compared to Oxbridge it's definitely because Imperial is right in London. However, I can't really account for the difference compared to UCL. It's probably a combination of Imperial wishing to get more money from internationals, and having to pay more for equipment, staff, and such.

Is Imperial and UCL's domestic fee the same? If so, it's probably just Imperial being a bit more greedy.

For what subject are you comparing the unis?

Currently all domestic students pay the same for any University and any course (excepting the Open Uni etc). As of the 2012 intake, all domestic students will pay between £7,500 and £9000 per annum. The large majority of Unis are charging the full 9k. This is almost treble the current fees hence the Student riots a few years ago (not to be confused with the London riots of last summer- we riot a lot these days :wink: )
Original post by justanotherperson
Hey everyone!

Haha this has probably been addressed already on here but I was wondering about meeting requirements before you apply? I don't have many AP's as of now (current junior) , but I know that next year (senior year) I will be taking a lot more. So if I apply to the schools I want to, whilst under the requirements, do I still have a chance of getting in?

Thanks!

Definitely, but you'll probably get conditional offers instead of unconditionals. In my experience, most unis don't ask you for much more than the minimum requirements anyway(depending on where you apply, of course-but only one of my five choices did).
Original post by Bea492
Currently all domestic students pay the same for any University and any course (excepting the Open Uni etc). As of the 2012 intake, all domestic students will pay between £7,500 and £9000 per annum. The large majority of Unis are charging the full 9k. This is almost treble the current fees hence the Student riots a few years ago (not to be confused with the London riots of last summer- we riot a lot these days :wink: )

Oh, yes, I know about that. I was referring to the increased tuition fees. Then again, I assume all the top unis will be charging the maximum amount. I wanted a figure to compare to see if one uni charged more domestic tuition, which would explain the increased international tuition. Thank you for your help!
Reply 4054
Original post by punctuation
Oh, yes, I know about that. I was referring to the increased tuition fees. Then again, I assume all the top unis will be charging the maximum amount. I wanted a figure to compare to see if one uni charged more domestic tuition, which would explain the increased international tuition. Thank you for your help!

Ah no problem :smile: yeah all top and actually pretty much everywhere, even polys are charging the max 9k. No idea why Imperial charges so much more for internationals!
If it's any consolation (in the misery-loves-company kind of way), fees for medicine as an international are mind boggling. I'm looking at something just shy of £50,000 pa.
Original post by justanotherperson
Hey everyone!

Thanks!

How many APs have you taken?

It also depends on the degree you are applying for and how many other tests you have taken (SATs, ACTs, SAT IIs, IB, etc).

Most likely, you will get a conditional offer (if you plan to take APs next year).
Reply 4057
Original post by teamnoether
If it's any consolation (in the misery-loves-company kind of way), fees for medicine as an international are mind boggling. I'm looking at something just shy of £50,000 pa.

Per year?!!!
Original post by Bea492
Per year?!!!

Sadly... yes. :frown:
Reply 4059
Original post by teamnoether
Sadly... yes. :frown:

:eek: Wow. That is crazy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending