The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ocarinaoftime
I was rejected for Geography and Archaeology :smile: I'm not sure if I'll be able to take Geography when I'm there as an outside subject now, but I'll wait and see ^^ and I loved the Archaeology talk at the post offer day, I'm really excited! ^^

Two of the obligatory courses you can opt to take are in fact Geography courses.

See the Archaeology DPT for details: http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/11-12/dpt/utarcha.htm
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2861
Original post by Oromis263
Getting really excited now, going to work so hard this Easter, I'm not going to miss this offer! Any other physicists out there?!

Me :biggrin: Finally received decisions from all my choices and I'm going to firm Edinburgh for Astrophysics.. :smile: I really don't want to miss my offer, I actually started working pretty hard, it really motivates me, I used to be incredibly lazy :tongue:

I see you've been to the open day, what was it like? I've actually never been to Edinburgh before and I feel a bit silly because I'm firming an offer of a university I haven't even visited, but because of my school timetables and other activities it'll be near-impossible to visit before June, or I'd have to go to Scotland during the revision time for my finals which doesn't seem that clever to me :biggrin:
I accepted my unconditional for French and German a few days ago, anyone else doing either of those? :smile:
Original post by Oromis263
Getting really excited now, going to work so hard this Easter, I'm not going to miss this offer! Any other physicists out there?!

Ditto! (If you say that in english, i have no idea), but hey, easter = no life ;P
Original post by paramore28
I accepted my unconditional for French and German a few days ago, anyone else doing either of those? :smile:

I'm doing German and English :smile: But I've not firmed it yet, I'm going to wait until I've been to the open day on Wednesday in case I really dislike Edinburgh, but I'm sure I won't :smile:
Original post by paramore28

:hi: French :love: but I'm doing it with Spanish & EU Studies :biggrin:
Reply 2866
Who is still waiting for an offer here ? =)
Original post by RockU

Still waiting! You're not alone :goodluck:
I got an offer for sociology at Edinburgh, but I think I'm too scared to leave little old Ireland haha!
Reply 2869
Original post by Ishouldberevising
I got an offer for sociology at Edinburgh, but I think I'm too scared to leave little old Ireland haha!

:confused: really? scared? seriously, it's not that far!, one island over! :s-smilie: and if you don't like it, you could probably transfer to Ireland later -.- no really, what there;s to be scared of...

By the way... do Irish universities acknowledge applications in any way? I applied to TCD through CAO in January and I haven't heard anything whatsoever.
This is my face everytime I think about that application: :confused:
Reply 2870
Original post by RockU

Mee! :smile:
Original post by indiarose27
Yes at least i wont be the only girl! Did you go to the open day last friday? :smile:

Another one here :biggrin: Theoretical though.
Original post by RockU

Still waiting for Primary Education :frown:
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Two of the obligatory courses you can opt to take are in fact Geography courses.

Hey, do you know if I can opt to take 'outside' modules in the first couple of years of my Scandinavian Studies degree? I mean modules from another subject :smile: I'm really in two minds about firming my unconditional, anything you could say to convince me that SS at Edinburgh is the way to go? Sorry if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming you have experience of this subject :smile:
Original post by francescawoolf
two of the obligatory courses you can opt to take are in fact Geography courses.

Hey, do you know if I can opt to take 'outside' modules in the first couple of years of my Scandinavian Studies degree? I mean modules from another subject :smile: I'm really in two minds about firming my unconditional, anything you could say to convince me that SS at Edinburgh is the way to go? Sorry if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming you have experience of this subject :smile:

See the outside courses sticky.

Go back out of this thread and into the main University of Edinburgh sub forum. There is a thread near the top of the forum entitled "outside subjects in first/second year" -- read this and then you'll get more information about outside subjects, how to find out which ones you can take and how to sign up for them. Any further questions then post them in that thread.

And yeah, NHI did Scandinavian studies at Edinburgh. He's now a postgrad and I believe he tutors on some of the first/second year courses :smile:
francescawoolf
x

I wholeheartedly recommend you read up on outside courses as oxymoronic suggests. There's plenty of flexibility in what you fill your timetable with in first and second year.

Original post by oxymoronic

And yeah, NHI did Scandinavian studies at Edinburgh. He's now a postgrad and I believe he tutors on some of the first/second year courses :smile:

I actually led seminars for 4th years as well :eek:
Original post by oxymoronic
See the outside courses sticky.

Go back out of this thread and into the main University of Edinburgh sub forum. There is a thread near the top of the forum entitled "outside subjects in first/second year" -- read this and then you'll get more information about outside subjects, how to find out which ones you can take and how to sign up for them. Any further questions then post them in that thread.

Oh wonderful, thanks for this! :smile:
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
I wholeheartedly recommend you read up on outside courses as oxymoronic suggests. There's plenty of flexibility in what you fill your timetable with in first and second year.
I actually led seminars for 4th years as well :eek:

Wow, impressive! Thanks I'll read up :cool:
Original post by Ishouldberevising

Hey don't be scared, I got an offer too and can't wait to leave little old Ireland haha! :wink:
Reply 2879
Original post by magenta1
Hello :smile: I have an unconditional from Edinburgh Uni but still deciding between two uni so just wondering, to everyone who applied and wants to go to Edinburgh Uni, why do you want to go to Edinburgh? Like what are your reasons? Thanks :biggrin:

Hi Magenta.

Edinburgh is a city centre university where everything is walking distance within the city from the Accommodation and the central University. Art Galleries, museums, bars, places to eat out and have a great time.

There are 5 star sporting facilities which were already awesome and they have just spent 4.8 million on an extension to the building so now there are even more cardio, free weights and studios which also means more exercise classes like spin and body attack.

80% of graduates from Edinburgh finish with a 1st or 2:1 degree and 85% of graduates go either directly into employment or into post graduate study.

With 280 societies and 67 sports teams there is bound to be a social life you'll be interested in. If they don't have a society you're into, they will will help you start one.

Although Edinburgh is a major city, the population is quite small and 10% of that population are students so it is a very student led environment.

Add those things to the unique mix of ancient and modern architecture, the welcoming people and the academic teaching repuation of a Russell Group University and there are many reasons why Edinburgh would be a good choice.

If you haven't already visited. I would certainly recommend you do. If you're going to go to a city for a full degree you'll want to be sure you like it first.

Quick Reply