The Student Room Group

LJMU Firmed for Pharmacy!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have just firmed for LJMU. Really looking forward to going here.

I have BBB already and received and unconditional offer, I had to sit chemistry test, aptitude and interview.
Reply 21
Original post by kopiteste
I have just firmed for LJMU. Really looking forward to going here.

I have BBB already and received and unconditional offer, I had to sit chemistry test, aptitude and interview.

Well done :woo:, are you a mature student? Or international? :tongue: Only people I have seen who had to take a chemistry test were either of them :s-smilie:
Reply 22
Original post by Doctor.
Well done :woo:, are you a mature student? Or international? :tongue: Only people I have seen who had to take a chemistry test were either of them :s-smilie:

Kind of mature. I don't qualify as a mature student because I'm not yet 25, but I finished my A-Levels in 2006. Yeah we worked this out on the assessment day that the only people who did the chemistry test were the guys not coming straight from A-Levels.
Reply 23
Kind of mature. I don't qualify as a mature student because I'm not yet 25, but I finished my A-Levels in 2006. Yeah we worked this out on the assessment day that the only people who did the chemistry test were the guys not coming straight from A-Levels.

Ah fair enough :smile:

Glad to hear there's another one firming LJMU! Did you go on the tour of the campus/labs, what did ya think of it? :h:
Reply 24
Original post by Doctor.
I really should firm LJMU already :s-smilie: Been too 'busy' to login to Track :lol:. Looking forward to freshers though, even if it's like....months away :ninja:. Thinking of a sneaky holiday before I set sail for Uni!

And where's my invite to your holiday? :sad:

:biggrin: :cool:
Reply 25
Original post by ak137
And where's my invite to your holiday? :sad:

:biggrin: :cool:

Depends on if you can do the Lambda, exactly like Shakira can? :cool:

On topic :tongue:, I don't know which accommodation to go for either Atlantic Point or Victoria Halls? Too much of a choice :confused:

What you pharmacists thinking? AP or VH?!
Reply 26
Original post by Doctor.
Ah fair enough :smile:

Glad to hear there's another one firming LJMU! Did you go on the tour of the campus/labs, what did ya think of it? :h:

I did study pharmacy before, from 2006-2008, in the university of hertfordshire. I had to drop out of that due to personal circumstances, but on comparing the campuses and programmes UH had much better and modern facilities, as the pharmacy programme only started in 2005 and didn't get accreditation until 2009. Some area's of the James Parsons building where we will be studying pharmacy are run-down, but the whole site is undergoing phased renovation.

However, the staff at JMU seem to be more student focused than anything I ever seen at UH. With the UH pharmacy course being really new, they were focused more on the numbers and results than actual people, but I got a really strong feeling that the JMU staff are more focused on making us more balanced pharmacists. The programme at JMU seems much more relevant to being a pharmacist first with a good grounding in science and less focused on being a scientist first, then a healthcare professional second, which is how it felt at UH.

One lad in our group was saying he didn't want to come to JMU because the facilities were poor, although he was just basing this on the corridoors leading to the facilities I think. I explained to him that at my last university the facilities were world class, (they had dispensing robots and everything) but that it is not the facilities that make a great course, it is the teachers and support staff.

I also got an unconditional offer from University of Sunderland without an interview, but Liverpool was where I want to be. All things considered, I am feeling really positive about starting in September, even though I am leaving a stable, reasonably paid job to go back to being a student bum again. John Moores really seems like the place for me, on the test day, all I got was positive feelings from the staff, they all seemed really nice and the Uni as a whole seems like they offer lots of support.

Sorry for the essay, but I have to mention one more thing. I was worried about finance and how I am going to pay for my course since I will only get full funding for my 3rd and 4th year. I phoned LJMU student support and the lady who I spoke to was exceptionally helpful and told me what I needed to do for student finance, even though I'm not yet even a student there.

If you have firmed JMU, I doubt we will be disappointed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Doctor.

On topic :tongue:, I don't know which accommodation to go for either Atlantic Point or Victoria Halls? Too much of a choice :confused:

What you pharmacists thinking? AP or VH?!

Have you decided which one to go for yet? Im stuck between them two also! :confused: I haven't firmed LJMU yet but will be doing soon. How do you go about choosing accommodation, does it take long?
Reply 28
Original post by tresemme
Have you decided which one to go for yet? Im stuck between them two also! :confused: I haven't firmed LJMU yet but will be doing soon. How do you go about choosing accommodation, does it take long?

I think I will go for Atlantic Point, simply because there is way more new students than VH. Erm I don't think it will take that long theres this form on the LJMU site which you just fill in! Quite simple tbh :smile:

I did study pharmacy before, from 2006-2008, in the university of hertfordshire. I had to drop out of that due to personal circumstances, but on comparing the campuses and programmes UH had much better and modern facilities, as the pharmacy programme only started in 2005 and didn't get accreditation until 2009. Some area's of the James Parsons building where we will be studying pharmacy are run-down, but the whole site is undergoing phased renovation.

However, the staff at JMU seem to be more student focused than anything I ever seen at UH. With the UH pharmacy course being really new, they were focused more on the numbers and results than actual people, but I got a really strong feeling that the JMU staff are more focused on making us more balanced pharmacists. The programme at JMU seems much more relevant to being a pharmacist first with a good grounding in science and less focused on being a scientist first, then a healthcare professional second, which is how it felt at UH.

One lad in our group was saying he didn't want to come to JMU because the facilities were poor, although he was just basing this on the corridoors leading to the facilities I think. I explained to him that at my last university the facilities were world class, (they had dispensing robots and everything) but that it is not the facilities that make a great course, it is the teachers and support staff.

I also got an unconditional offer from University of Sunderland without an interview, but Liverpool was where I want to be. All things considered, I am feeling really positive about starting in September, even though I am leaving a stable, reasonably paid job to go back to being a student bum again. John Moores really seems like the place for me, on the test day, all I got was positive feelings from the staff, they all seemed really nice and the Uni as a whole seems like they offer lots of support.

Sorry for the essay, but I have to mention one more thing. I was worried about finance and how I am going to pay for my course since I will only get full funding for my 3rd and 4th year. I phoned LJMU student support and the lady who I spoke to was exceptionally helpful and told me what I needed to do for student finance, even though I'm not yet even a student there.

If you have firmed JMU, I doubt we will be disappointed.

This, the bit about teachers being student focused won me over...I went to Bath and well, I was disappointed at how full of themselves the stuff were.:lol: LJMU was pretty awesome in general, had the right feeling :h:
Reply 29
Original post by Doctor.
This, the bit about teachers being student focused won me over...I went to Bath and well, I was disappointed at how full of themselves the stuff were.:lol: LJMU was pretty awesome in general, had the right feeling :h:

Yeah I felt exactly the same way. I felt that UH staff were also very full of themselves, it felt like they were always looking down at the students. Not all, but many of them.

I am going to be looking at a private apartment or house myself as I will be moving with my partner and dog, lol :smile:
Original post by Doctor.
:woo: go go go! I need to actually need to login on UCAS and firm them!

ah kool. i jus hope i get the grades now
and do u knw wich is the main campus for ljmu? or ds ljmu even have 1?
and is the pharmacy campus the john fostor one?
Reply 31
Original post by amazon123456789
ah kool. i jus hope i get the grades now
and do u knw wich is the main campus for ljmu? or ds ljmu even have 1?
and is the pharmacy campus the john fostor one?

The main teaching complex for the pharmacists will be the Byrom street campus (that's what I have been told). Apparently Atlantic Point is the closest accommodation to Byrom street. Although Victoria Halls is slightly more close to our 'main' library (has all the books we need).

Good luck :h:

PS folks I have firmed LJMU :woo: now to actually get the accommodation sorted...I'm too busy 'revising' :lol:
Reply 32
Yeah I think almost all of our lectures and labs will be in James Parsons Building on Byrom Street campus.
Good luck next year all of you starting at JMU in september, I'm currently in first year so know what you're about to go through, if you have any questions, feel free to quote me/message me and I'll be happy to try and answer.

Yeah I think almost all of our lectures and labs will be in James Parsons Building on Byrom Street campus.

Kinda, all your labs are on the Byrom street campus but you will get some lectures in Avril Robarts building, conveniently placed across the road from Victoria Halls (and marybone..)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chilledice
Good luck next year all of you starting at JMU in september, I'm currently in first year so know what you're about to go through, if you have any questions, feel free to quote me/message me and I'll be happy to try and answer.

Kinda, all your labs are on the Byrom street campus but you will get some lectures in Avril Robarts building, conveniently placed across the road from Victoria Halls (and marybone..)

were is the nearest learning resource centre from byrom street. were u can borrow books or use the computers?
and also were is the closest student services or does each campus has its own? to pay four your tuition fees or to just get some general help?
thanks
Original post by amazon123456789
were is the nearest learning resource centre from byrom street. were u can borrow books or use the computers?
and also were is the closest student services or does each campus has its own? to pay four your tuition fees or to just get some general help?
thanks

Avril robarts is the place to be, it is a 4 minute walk up the road from byrom street, there is floors full of computers, it has (free) rental laptops if the computers are all in use and the student services is on the first floor of Avril Robarts, it's all under one roof!
Reply 36
Original post by Doctor.
I think I will go for Atlantic Point, simply because there is way more new students than VH. Erm I don't think it will take that long theres this form on the LJMU site which you just fill in! Quite simple tbh :smile:

I decided to go for Atlantic Point too :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chilledice
Avril robarts is the place to be, it is a 4 minute walk up the road from byrom street, there is floors full of computers, it has (free) rental laptops if the computers are all in use and the student services is on the first floor of Avril Robarts, it's all under one roof!

how is the workload in the first year? and how do u get assessed?
Reply 38
Original post by dollar
I have an unconditional offer to start in September 2012 YAY, anyone else? :biggrin:

I have too! :smile: I cant wait :biggrin: has anyone got accomadation yet??
I have a conditional offer. Hope I make the grades! I'm so excited and scared as it's a complete life change for me.

Quick Reply

Latest