The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3440
Original post by r.a.i.n.e.
ill be at lcf! what subj are u gonna be studying?

hey finally see u back here again... great to see someone going to study the same subject as me. are u going to bring sewing machine over?
Original post by DuckaDore
Yeah I heard its cheaper but I'm not sure whats the margin, do u have any info on it?

Not too sure. You should just go to the BA website and try to book a return ticket from the UK and get the quote in pounds. Easier to compare that way.
Original post by iamlovinit05
Not too sure. You should just go to the BA website and try to book a return ticket from the UK and get the quote in pounds. Easier to compare that way.

I'm not sure it works like that, I think u need a UK ip address or proxy? Could try that though thanks
Reply 3443
Hello people,

Just a little question. I am currently sitting on an offer to read Philosophy, Politics and Law at KCL and another to read straight Law at NUS. Now I have always wanted to pair Law with something else and the PPL course seems to have just the right combination (would have been better if they had slotted Economics somewhere) while my application for a double degree at NUS was rejected. I understand I have one last chance to apply at the end of Year 1 but I was wondering if it was worth a shot considering I'm not exactly cohort topping material. I have weighed the pros for each school as follows -

KCL:
- Diverse, crazy awesome course combination
- LONDON!!! and London Olympics
- Ridiculously low entry requirements, generally stereotyped as UCL rejects which are stereotyped as Oxbridge/LSE rejects
- Somewhat expensive
- Falling off ranking tables all over the world
- Easier to score 1:1?
- Joint hons single degree, might not sit well with MinLaw
- Wider job prospects??

NUS:
- Cheap
- High entry standards, lesser stereotyping
- Slowly but surely climbing up rankings
- Full of crazy muggers
- Possibility of being stuck with a single Law degree for 4 years
- Double degree would be much better than a single joint hons

So any advice? Cost isn't really important as I've decided it's worth the extra money for the London experience. Feel free to criticise/flame.

Thanks in advance!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by justj0sh
- Ridiculously low entry requirements, generally stereotyped as UCL rejects which are stereotyped as Oxbridge/LSE rejects

No such stereotypes outside of UK. In fact, in many places you'll find people who view KCL in high regard but have not heard of NUS at all.

- Wider job prospects??

Wider than NUS. Definitely, without a doubt.

Cost isn't really important as I've decided it's worth the extra money for the London experience.

Then go for it! If cost isn't really important, I'll definitely, 100% recommend KCL over NUS.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3445
To justjosh,

I think the difference in terms of reputation there is not much of difference but the experience and exposure you get overseas is definitely better then you staying in local U since cost isn't really important to you. I think being stereotyped is the very least of your concern as KCL is a very reputable school nationally and internationally, i have a friend who studied in LSE has not experience any type stereotype in UK or locally being oxbridge or UCL or whatever reject.

In terms of QS ranking KCL is still above NUS and KCL has rise dramatically from 77 to 56 spot in TIMES ranking while nus has fallen from 34th to 40th spot so take the ranking with a pinch of salt. Higher entry standard does not equals to be better university. For example University of edinburgh was a well known university in UK and internationally for giving out low offers like in A level like BBB or even BBC but yet they are ranked higher than those uni having higher entry standard, currently uni edinburgh are ranked 5th in UK internationally only oxbridge, imperial and ucl are above them according to QS ranking beating the likes of LSE who has higher entry standard.

I think most importantly the overseas exposure studying in KCL really outweighs everything that study in NUS has to offer.
Reply 3446
hey people :smile: do remember to research if the water from the tap is drinkable or not for whichever place u going.

i heard from one of my friends that in some areas, the water is considered "hard water" so its not advisable to drink (even after boiling).

so he have to purchase mineral water.

if any of u intending to drink mineral water for long term in future, i would advise u to start training your body to be "familiar and accepting" (LOL) to it by starting to drink it frequently now.

my friend's body couldn't get adjusted to the sudden intake of mineral water so he fell sick for the first week of uni term.

so, start researching and drink mineral water if u need :smile:
Reply 3447
Hard water should be drinkable actually...
Reply 3448
but i scared my stomach can't tahan leh... filter put already also don't know got use or not...
Reply 3449
To the people contesting me on the KCL rankings, I'm talking more about this where even York, QM and even Warwick are above KCL:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-law

Aside from that, I haven't heard of anyone going to KCL from my JC. They either pick Oxbridge/LSE/UCL or stay at NUS which is why I'm rather concerned about the reputation. Also, I am considered pursuing a PG in Economics as somewhat mentioned above but I'm not interested in doing a full 3 year course. Would I be able to do a 1yr diploma + 1yr MSc? Or is there some form of PG entry to a BSc that would shorten the duration like for Law?
To Josh:

KCL go for it. I know so many friends who have secured places at NUS Law but chose LSE/oxbridge/UCL instead. If you wanna live, work and die in Singapore, then you should opt for NUS.NUS Law is fond of marketing itself as Asia's Global Law School.However.......its international reputation does leave a lot to be desired.Academically brilliant students the world over aspire to go to Harvard,Yale, Columbia, LSE ,Oxbridge etc... NUS quite frankly isn't in the same league. While Kings might not be in the same league as oxbridge /LSE as far as law in the UK is concerned, I personally think you'd be far better off getting a "real education" at Kings. If cost is a non issue, then London will be an amazing experience I reckon. I agree with what classic-juice and polar 88 have said. PM me if you wanna chat about it.NUS Law is a good law school-You just have to ask yourself what exactly is it that you want.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3451
Original post by jonobebe
but i scared my stomach can't tahan leh... filter put already also don't know got use or not...

Scared then remain scared forever lor. I used a filter for the first half of Year 1, then decided it was damn stupid when most of the home students / locals don't. Ended up not using it at all, and also drinking unfiltered water in countries where the water was safe to drink, regardless of the 'hardness'.

Seriously, if you are scared of trying new things, why go overseas?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3452
As for going to NUS or KCL, I think it depends on what you want to do.

You might want to think about this: Compare Singapore's population and the number of universities it has, and then compare UK's population and the number of Universities it has.

Sure, there's Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE, but what's the proportion of UK home students who enter? Now compare this proportion with NUS.

Everyone wants to go to "the best Universities". But it's not that easy, surprisingly.

KCL is decent. It's not the absolute best - but as long as you do well in your studies, and have decent student participation / internships / core-curricular activities, you'll not have problems getting a job in UK, or even in SG.

What about post grad? Well, you'll need to show that you have sufficient knowledge of your field at undergraduate level - that concerns the modules you take then at KCL / NUS. You probably won't take many mathematics or economics modules in KCL / NUS for the courses you're contemplating. So that's something to think about.

I'd say go for KCL, *unless* you are the sort that stays at home / are mugger toad / hangs out with people of same nationality / etc. Why? Being in another country -> lots of opportunities to do something you can never do in SG. Furthermore, the more extra stuff (this can range from exploring Europe, climbing mountains, etc - so not necessarily academic or job related) you do, it's something additional you can write on your CV (if you are so inclined), can win awards geared to international students / home students, and more. Plus it's something which SG can't offer (cheaply at least).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3453
No offence but I find it amusing that KCL's law school has been renamed the Dickson Poon School of Law..
Original post by ohlawdhelpus
If you wanna live, work and die in Singapore, then you should opt for NUS.

Even if you wanna live work die in singapore, I'll still recommend KCL. Having done your undergrad overseas does open many more opportunities to you in Singapore because employers value the overseas experience.

Original post by volante
No offence but I find it amusing that KCL's law school has been renamed the Dickson Poon School of Law..

the joke is lost on me :confused:
Reply 3455
Hi guys! Anyone here already applied for their visa?
Reply 3456
Original post by pseudoX
Hi guys! Anyone here already applied for their visa?

I will be applying mine tomorrow, what help do you need?
Original post by kenryou
I will be applying mine tomorrow, what help do you need?

Have you already received your CAS?
Reply 3458
Original post by ofssinfoxes
Have you already received your CAS?

Yes, I have. Have you firmed up your offer? Because I received mine in less than 2 weeks in my EUCLID message intray.

You might want to check there if you have not. :smile:
Original post by kenryou
Yes, I have. Have you firmed up your offer? Because I received mine in less than 2 weeks in my EUCLID message intray.

You might want to check there if you have not. :smile:

EUCLID is University of Edinburgh, right?

Yeah, I firmed mine ages ago (some time in March?) but mine hasn't sent anything!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending