The Student Room Group

Can I ask my uni to put me in 'clearing'?

I know 'clearing' starts in August but how do I go about it because I know my grades already and there's no point persuading or waiting till August as my grades are really low for my Firm and Insurance choice, so can I email/call them to release me on their list than wait till August to call them up.

Thank you
Reply 1
Your going to have to wait till August as Clearing doesn't open till then.
Reply 2
Or you could apply through UCAS Extra, further information is provided here - http://www.ucas.com/students/offers/extra
Reply 3
Original post by MeGusta

I know I will have to apply for Clearing but from what I've heard on here, come August I can only do that once a uni has released me or something like that, so I'll go through Clearing in August but can I still ask the uni to release me due to my poor grades now instead of waiting till August as it could save myself time?
Reply 4
Try UCAS Extra
Reply 5
Original post by MeGusta
Or you could apply through UCAS Extra, further information is provided here - http://www.ucas.com/students/offers/extra

Hasn't the deadline for UCAS extra already passed? :O
You can ask to be released from your uni which will allow you to be able to go through with the clearing process. It shouldn't take long for you to be "released". I just phoned them and it was with immediate effect and quite simple. Might be different with other uni's. You should think about what you're doing though. I personally regret doing that and wish I stuck with my insurance choice. good luck
Original post by MeGusta

Clearing opens in July, it's just the majority of it happens in August because that's when people get their results and most courses don't know if they're going to have spaces until they know everyones' results.

Original post by thomas2012
I know 'clearing' starts in August but how do I go about it because I know my grades already and there's no point persuading or waiting till August as my grades are really low for my Firm and Insurance choice, so can I email/call them to release me on their list than wait till August to call them up.

Thank you

You can call them up and ask them to reject you, yes. This would put you into Clearing when it starts (which is actually July.) However, as I explained above, the vast majority of it happens on and after A-level results day (with a small peak at Scottish results day, but only for Scottish university) - if you still like your firm and insurance, that's not really any harm in holding on and seeing if either of them accept you.
Original post by MeGusta

Original post by willbee
Try UCAS Extra

You can't use Extra when you have already firmed/insured universities.
Reply 9
Original post by ilovefashion90
You can ask to be released from your uni which will allow you to be able to go through with the clearing process. It shouldn't take long for you to be "released". I just phoned them and it was with immediate effect and quite simple. Might be different with other uni's. You should think about what you're doing though. I personally regret doing that and wish I stuck with my insurance choice. good luck

Thank you
Reply 10
Original post by TheSownRose

You can call them up and ask them to reject you, yes. This would put you into Clearing when it starts (which is actually July.) However, as I explained above, the vast majority of it happens on and after A-level results day (with a small peak at Scottish results day, but only for Scottish university) - if you still like your firm and insurance, that's not really any harm in holding on and seeing if either of them accept you.

OK thank you, the entry for both my universities are 280 and 240 ucas points respectively and I'll end up with 200 points, in fact I'll be lucky to have 200 ucas points that's how bad it is. I prefer saving the embarrassment and ask for a release than asking and hoping to get accepted, I'm just pushing it. Thanks again for the information
OK thank you, the entry for both my universities are 280 and 240 ucas points respectively and I'll end up with 200 points, in fact I'll be lucky to have 200 ucas points that's how bad it is. I prefer saving the embarrassment and ask for a release than asking and hoping to get accepted, I'm just pushing it. Thanks again for the information

How do you know what you're going to get?

If it's because your exams have gone really badly, I'd urge you to not do this. I know of someone who did, then got his results and he would have met his firm offer after all - cue huge regrets.
(edited 11 years ago)
I did really bad on my a levels- much lower then my required ucas points but both my firm and insurance still accepted me. The firm offered me a place on the condition I did a foundation year and my insurance offered me a place on the full degree despite my grades so you never know. I'd say wait and see what they say rather than being asked to be released if they are the universities you'd want to go to.
Reply 13
Original post by TheSownRose
How do you know what you're going to get?

If it's because your exams have gone really badly, I'd urge you to not do this. I know of someone who did, then got his results and he would have met his firm offer after all - cue huge regrets.

I'm doing BTEC which I should of mentioned at the beginning and during open day, the teacher said there are more people applying in my course than before which this year has the most applicants for my course (which I do plan on changing but that's another story).

200 ucas points is the best I can achieve and in order to get accepted or stand a chance, I'll need 240-280 points and that is unrealistic to even be considered don't you think?
Reply 14
Original post by Sally <3 Howl
I did really bad on my a levels- much lower then my required ucas points but both my firm and insurance still accepted me. The firm offered me a place on the condition I did a foundation year and my insurance offered me a place on the full degree despite my grades so you never know. I'd say wait and see what they say rather than being asked to be released if they are the universities you'd want to go to.

If you don't mind me asking, how many points did u get and how many did u need?
If you don't mind me asking, how many points did u get and how many did u need?

I got 160 but 40 of that was general studies. I needed 240.

The uni's were manchester met and derby btw.
Reply 16
Well, if you don't meet you offers for either, and neither accept you, then you will be in clearing anyway. You wont need to wait to be 'released'.

I'd wait it out and see what happens on results day, whilst looking at clearing options that may interest you. If by some chance your firm or insurance accepted you, would you go? If so, just leave it be. But if you have completely changed your mind on course, ask to be rejected.

Quick Reply

Latest