The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey there! I've received an unconditional offer for G100 Mathematics among others, entering in 2017. I'd love to know more about the Maths programme, like the rigour or the teaching standards, and also about pretty anything that might convince me to lean towards going to Edinburgh. Thanks!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I currently study in Belfast with Queens...ACCESS DIPLOMA IN FOUNDATION STUDIES: BIOLOGICAL/BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE! I have applied to several Unis for Nursing and been made offers by all of them, asking for an average of 65% etc in my access course. However Iv been made an offer of Passing my course with 60 credits with 45 level 3 credits at merit grade or above! I dont understand this? Does anyone know what this would be in a percentage?
Can anyone tell me how big a large room at abbeyhill is compared to the standard room there. Thanks
Original post by Orcatron
Can anyone recommend a 20 credit module that I can take in 1st year? I'm looking for something that can be interesting on its own without pursuing it further.

Wholly depends on what kinds of courses you like, but it's quite easy to do something like Social Anthropology or Architectural History. They're very self-contained.
Original post by calliper
How easy is it to Change your course at the beginning. I've applied for German and History but I'm not entirely sure I want to pursue it.

Earlier is always better than later. It shouldn't be too difficult (what will you be changing it to?) but depending on class sizes it could get really difficult if you try to change at the end of second year, for instance.
Hey guys! So I just completed my third year of English with a average of 65.5. I'm a bit disappointed, especially because one of my grades was a 69 (70 is an A). Realistically, if I work harder and put in some extra effort do you think it's possible to graduate with a first?
Original post by Aphrodille
Hey guys! So I just completed my third year of English with a average of 65.5. I'm a bit disappointed, especially because one of my grades was a 69 (70 is an A). Realistically, if I work harder and put in some extra effort do you think it's possible to graduate with a first?

It is all about the maths You will need to get an average of 70 and as you have done half of your honours courses so far you will need to get an average of 74.5 in your fourth year courses . That is quite a big jump from what you got this year but only you know if that is a realistic proposition. Your dissertation is a third of your fourth year marks so if you can get 75+ on that you will be on your way.

If you look at how you did on your courses this year and get as much feedback as possible- particularly on those you did less well in then you may see what you can do to increase your grades

Good Luck]
Original post by Aphrodille

Well it depends on how 4th year and 3rd year are weighted in your school. For example, in biological sciences it's 2:1 for 4th:3rd year. From that you can work out what your average in fourth year needs to be.

Furthermore, some schools have the policy of reviewing people who get 68+ and awarding a first at discretion. This could be if you show a clear upward trend in marks between 3rd and 4th year. But check what the school policy is.

So overall it depends on school policy, but if you average just a tad over 70 in 4th year it should be possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1428
Hi, I heard that since that Edinburgh starts in early September which is a month earlier than other UK universities, students who hold conditional offers will hear back earlier. Like the results are released 18th August but Edinburgh offer holders hear back a month prior? This is what I heard and if someone can confirm this it would be great thanks.
Original post by kc006
Hi, I heard that since that Edinburgh starts in early September which is a month earlier than other UK universities, students who hold conditional offers will hear back earlier. Like the results are released 18th August but Edinburgh offer holders hear back a month prior? This is what I heard and if someone can confirm this it would be great thanks.

Welcome week starts with move in on the 10th of September, if you have a conditional, then you will hear back when you get your results, and not earlier, and a lot of Unis in Scotland start in the middle of September, and you will be hearing back at the same time for all of them. Edi's classes start of the 19th of september.
Hi guys - I'm a 3rd year law student, who madly loves Edinburgh and knows a fair amount. If you have any questions, don't be shy to ask me personally! :smile:
Reply 1431
I would really appreciate it if some of the students would not look down on or be rude to retail staff. I may not go to your university but I am a postgraduate student working to pay for my fees and wouldn't dream of treating another person badly. Please treat others how you would like to be treated. After all you are representing your university.
Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Extremely random, but is there a break from classes in the fall semester that isn't Christmas break? Like a half-term or something similar. Sorry if this is stupid, I would just like to plan my semester.
Original post by wolf232
Extremely random, but is there a break from classes in the fall semester that isn't Christmas break? Like a half-term or something similar. Sorry if this is stupid, I would just like to plan my semester.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/semester-dates/201617
I recently finished my AS level exams and I will be applying to Edinburgh (MPhys Physics with a year abroad) for 2017 entry. I understand that Edinburgh is an extremely good university but some of the student survey results worry me. According to Which? University:
59% agreed that staff made the subject interesting
44% agreed feedback on work was helpful
47% agreed feedback on work was prompt
Despite this, I realise that Edinburgh still has a high proportion of students getting a 2:1 degree or above, but considering I will be studying for 5 years, these poor survey results seem pretty significant. Physics students, what is your take on this?

Also, unrelated to Physics, but have any of you done a year abroad? If so, are they competitive? A few universities that are exchange partners with Edinburgh that I would possibly want to study abroad at are really good (Caltech, National University of Singapore, Helsinki, etc) so would these be hard to get onto?

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DarkEnergy
I recently finished my AS level exams and I will be applying to Edinburgh (MPhys Physics with a year abroad) for 2017 entry. I understand that Edinburgh is an extremely good university but some of the student survey results worry me. According to Which? University:
59% agreed that staff made the subject interesting
44% agreed feedback on work was helpful
47% agreed feedback on work was prompt
Despite this, I realise that Edinburgh still has a high proportion of students getting a 2:1 degree or above, but considering I will be studying for 5 years, these poor survey results seem pretty significant. Physics students, what is your take on this?

Also, unrelated to Physics, but have any of you done a year abroad? If so, are they competitive? A few universities that are exchange partners with Edinburgh that I would possibly want to study abroad at are really good (Caltech, National University of Singapore, Helsinki, etc) so would these be hard to get onto?

Thanks.

Hi, I can only try to answer your second question, as I haven't studied physics. So, there are two ways to study abroad: Erasmus (mainly within Europe) and the International Exchange (anywhere else in the world), and they have slightly different selection criteria. Both rely heavily on your grades in first year, as the time of application is usually second year first semester (I know some science degrees allow students to go abroad in 3rd year, so best check with your department).

You need very good grades in first year to be able to go on a year abroad in the case of the International Exchange programme. I remember I had an average of 67 (B), so when I applied for the international exchange in second year, this only got me on the waiting list. I didn't go abroad eventually, as I wanted to just consolidate friendships and become a bit more of a 'local', and I didn't get an offer either. I know people who have gone to study in Singapore and UCBerkeley, so it's definitely doable.

If you are applying for Erasmus (within Europe), your chances are much higher; as far as I know, most people with an average of B get offers.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by star9005
x

Thanks, this definitely helps. Is getting an A hard? How much effort did you put in to get a B?
Does anyone know how lenient Edinburgh are with grades?
Original post by DarkEnergy
Thanks, this definitely helps. Is getting an A hard? How much effort did you put in to get a B?

It is difficult to give a definite answer to this question. It all depends on your abilities, how much you'll love your course, what your course is and what support is available etc.

Taking my personal example, I love languages and I got As in all my language courses. Unfortunately they were all outside subjects, as my degree wasn't in languages. Had I done a language degree, I would have definitely graduated with a first - I know many people who hate studying languages though. It all comes down to personal preferences and abilities.

It shouldn't be too hard to get an average of B in first year, and an A requires quite much work in general, no matter what one's field of study is. I can't say I studied too much in first year, but I took it seriously, of course. The usual saying is that you have to exceed the minimal course requirements to get an A, otherwise you'll be stuck on the level of Bs, which is still very good, though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can any comp sci student tell me if anything in comp sci is taught in kings campus or is it all in appleton tower?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending